360 vs PS3

XGuNn3rX

• Moderators

Well mines been sitting on an entertainment center shelf since the day I got it and I babied the thing. :P

The first ps2s actually had something wrong with them and it was bad enough that sony lost a huge class action lawsuit and had to replace a bunch of ps2s. It never really bothered me after the first couple years when they quit making those blue discs. Just google PS2 disc read error and you will get thousands of hits.

And that article's not at all biased :rolleyes:. (on a side note the article would have a little more credence if you provided the source)

I really don't see why you get so irate about it. It is what it is, does it really matter whether its not as good as a 'supercomputer'? (which is a completely irrelevant comparison IMO)

Did you read the whole thing? It wasn't just about the PS3 being a supercomputer.

He even showed you some links about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, proving once again that HD-DVD is better.

Play whatever system you like for the games you like. Who cares what it can or cannot do. It's meant to do one thing primarily and that is to play games. If it doesn't have your favorite genre, then buy the one that does. Specs on a gaming console really mean absolutely nothing.

I personally think the PS3 looks fine. I may even buy one when and if Final Fantasy 13 comes out for PS3. I know Final Fantasy 12 will be out for the PS2 though.

I've followed the XBox and XBox360 and know that the XBox series always has issues. Even the 360 has issues, numerous, numerous issues. That to me would say which product is better. Who can come out with their hardware console and it does what it should without issues. One of the several issues for the XBox (or the 360, one of the two) had was overheating because of a poorly placed power supply. It didn't get the needed ventilation and frequently would shut down on players. I'd say that's a major hardware issue.

However, back when the PS2 came out there was an rumor where the DVD reader would go bad because people were playing DVD movies with it. Well, those geniuses who said that didn't realize that the games you play in the PS2 were also on DVD media, so it made no difference at all.

Overall, given the performance records; I'd say that the Playstation series is far superior to the XBox series.

The 360 has a 3% defect rate, something that is pretty good. PS2 had something in its 30's, because of the infamous disk read error.

• Moderators

The 360 dosen't even support HD DVD currently does it? I've heard that supposedly they are going to release an updated one that does in the future but what about all the early adopters?

The PS2 was a huge hit when it first came out because of the dvd player.(lots of people got it just for that) So if they can successfully convince people that blue ray is enough of an improvement over dvd then I believe it will sell.

To compare two vid formats you haven't seen side by side is kind of pointless. Much less fight about it.

I will say this, the PS2 had more and better exclusives then the xbox and thats why it sold so much more. Its all about the games, and if PS3 has the same amount of awesome exlusive games as the PS2 then it will rule the gaming market. I don't think the vid formats its going to decide which console is better for games.

Now if you want to say who will sell more to the people looking for a nextgen dvd player then the PS3 will still come out on top because it will support it out of the box. Plus if people are buying it for a video player they will like the fact they can use it as a web browser, probably a dvr, and who knows what else.

If HD DVD does dominate the market then I'll buy an HD DVD player as well but not untill I see the improvement over dvd and determine for myself if its worth it. Also they better not charge more for the movies.

The 360 dosen't even support HD DVD currently does it? I've heard that supposedly they are going to release an updated one that does in the future but what about all the early adopters?

The PS2 was a huge hit when it first came out because of the dvd player.(lots of people got it just for that) So if they can successfully convince people that blue ray is enough of an improvement over dvd then I believe it will sell.

To compare two vid formats you haven't seen side by side is kind of pointless. Much less fight about it.

I will say this, the PS2 had more and better exclusives then the xbox and thats why it sold so much more. Its all about the games, and if PS3 has the same amount of awesome exlusive games as the PS2 then it will rule the gaming market. I don't think the vid formats its going to decide which console is better for games.

Now if you want to say who will sell more to the people looking for a nextgen dvd player then the PS3 will still come out on top because will support it out of the box. Plus if people are buying it for a video player they will like the fact they can use it as a web browser, probably a dvr, and who knows what else.

If HD DVD does dominate the market then I'll buy an HD DVD player as well but not untill I see the improvement over dvd and determine for myself if its worth it. Also they better not charge more for the movies.

Microsoft have said time and time again that the 360 will never have an inbuilt HD-DVD player. Microsoft is only releasing a HD-DVD add-on for people who are looking for a HD-DVD player. It does not runs games and it's primary purpose is to play movies. You DON'T have to buy it, and you aren't getting a HD player shoved down your throat (Hint: PS3).

Wanna know something? A very small percentage of the world own HDTV players. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray mean nothing to them, because there is no difference from DVD, except the large space.

People wont be buying the PS3 for a Blu-Ray player, it's as simple as that.

Pointless that I haven't seen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray side by side? Not really. Even if I had seen them side by side and my opinion was still that HD-DVD was better, everyone would call me biased. The only proof I have is the many reviews saying that HD-DVD is infact better. Have you read the reviews from Cnet and everywhere else?

They better not charge more for the movies? Well it looks like you wont like Blu-Ray then, since it's said some movies and games are to be priced more. This is still a rumour, though..

• Moderators

Its not being shoved down their throat.. its just another feature. And it will be a much appreciated one if blue ray catches on. Just like the dvd player in the ps2 and xbox. Yeah the games are on them but as a feature they let them play movies as well.(MS even madey you buy that stupid $20 xbox remote that you needed to play movies.)

If 360 will never support it out of the box then it will never get those added sales as a multimedia equipment.(I guess to those with a media center pc it still could though) But if you don't play games thats a really expensive tivo.

Well 360 charges $60 for games on dvd so I'm expecting a little hike in the games. But I wait untill games become cheaper anyway to buy them. Unless its a mainly online game.

The point of you not seeing it side by side was that neither have I. So I cant say which is better but neither can you. You can make up an uneducated opinion but its no better then anyone elses.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_blura...comparison.html

A few comparisons...

"Whatever its merits as a film, 'Training Day' has made history by becoming one of the first titles to be released on both the Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. In our first head-to-head comparison, we found the HD DVD to be superior. The unfortunate cropping of the Blu-ray image, coupled with more noticeable compression artifacts and an overall darker cast, can't compete with the more consistently pleasing presentation of the HD DVD. Also a strike against the Blu-ray version is that both the Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital-Plus soundtracks have been dropped in favor of plain old Dolby Digital, and even the disc's menu navigation is more clunky and with less interactive functionality. Certainly, this Blu-ray release delivers fine video quality in its own right, but the format's backers will need to step it up if they are going to win the hearts and minds of early adopters over HD DVD. "

"I must say, our first Blu-ray versus HD DVD comparisons continue to yield surprises. I wasn't expecting to see much difference in video quality between the two formats with 'Rumor Has It...', yet the two discs did bear noticeable differences, with the HD DVD boasting better detail and a more film-like look. And Warner has again dropped the Dolby Digital-Plus option from the Blu-ray version. However, the Blu-ray is a good $5 cheaper than the pricey $39.95 list price the studio is charging for the HD DVD/DVD combo version, so at least Blu-ray has that going for it. But even with its higher list price, in this reviewer's opinion, the HD DVD release delivers overall better bang for the buck."

"With our second Blu-ray versus HD DVD battle on 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,' we again declare victory (although by a smaller margin) to the HD DVD verison. Most of the same problems we found with 'Training Day' on Blu-ray -- namely the picture cropping (though it is likely a player issue) and darker cast -- reappear again here. The absence of HD DVD's Dolby Digital-Plus tracks on Blu-ray is problematic, and I still find Blu-ray's clunky menu navigation quite irritating. Though with 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' Blu-ray has proven it can deliver moments of stunning high-def as good as HD DVD, it is still not delivering that level of quality as consistently. Very close with this one, but still no cigar."

Its not being shoved down their throat.. its just another feature. And it will be a much appreciated one if blue ray catches on. Just like the dvd player in the ps2 and xbox. Yeah the games are on them but as a feature they let them play movies as well.(MS even madey you buy that stupid $20 xbox remote that you needed to play movies.)

If 360 will never support it out of the box then it will never get those added sales as a multimedia equipment.(I guess to those with a media center pc it still could though) But if you don't play games thats a really expensive tivo.

Well 360 charges $60 for games on dvd so I'm expecting a little hike in the games. But I wait untill games become cheaper anyway to buy them. Unless its a mainly online game.

The point of you not seeing it side by side was that neither have I. So I cant say which is better but neither can you. You can make up an uneducated opinion but its no better then anyone elses.

Theoretically..

Lets say I had no HD-TV. Blu-Ray movies mean nothing to me, since the picture quality differs none from DVD and games are still being made on the 360 with DVD. Why should I be forced to buy a Blu-Ray player? The PS3 is nothing but a quick way to get a Blu-Ray player in your livingroom. It's being forced down your throat. If you want a PS3 but no Blu-Ray player, sorry but you're screwed.

• Moderators

Well seing as the games will be on blue ray it would be pretty hard to play them without it... thats a pretty dumb point to make. HDTVs will become a lot more commen in the next couple years so the PS3's ability to play the content will be much appreciated. So your saying you pick 360 because you don't like blue ray? Thats pretty dumb when what should come first is the games. But the other features will add incentive for want one.

I'm not making my mind up on the vid format untill I see them myself. And yes I own an hdtv. A nice 50in Sony. :)

Well seing as the games will be on blue ray it would be pretty hard to play them without it... thats a pretty dumb point to make. HDTVs will become a lot more commen in the next couple years so the PS3's ability to play the content will be much appreciated. So your saying you pick 360 because you don't like blue ray? Thats pretty dumb when what should come first is the games. But the other features will add incentive for want one.

I'm not making my mind up on the vid format untill I see them myself. And yes I own an hdtv. A nice 50in Sony. :)

And Sony HAD to go with Blu-Ray, right?

Funny how they've been saying "Blu-Ray is the future" but recently said online distribution is the future instead of a disc format, something Microsoft has been saying for months (which is why the 360 has DVD only).

Yeah but a lot of people still don't have high speed internet. So what about them? Maybe sony needed something to hold all the data from the games for those people.

I'm willing to bet that in 5 years (or when the Xbox 3, PS4 comes out), high speed internet connections will be cheap and a small percentage of people wont own one.

• Moderators

Ah but there are the still people that live in areas who just cant get them. Because of that I don't think downloading will be a main content delivery system for a while now.

Also there are people with DSL whose connection is only like 512kb and they call it high speed. Try downloading a 2-3 gig game on that and see how long it takes. True improvements will be made in the future. Maybe Sony needed something right now.

Funny how they've been saying "Blu-Ray is the future" but recently said online distribution is the future instead of a disc format, something Microsoft has been saying for months (which is why the 360 has DVD only).

Nice to know you missed the part of the article that said, "Harrison's comments are merely speculative."

You should read this. Another dark day for XBox users.

XBox and EA screw their users privacy

----------

If you sign up to play EA games through Microsoft’s Xbox Live Service, Microsoft will provide your Xbox Live user account information to EA so that we can establish an EA Online account for you. You need an EA Online account to play EA’s Xbox Live titles. By signing up to play EA's Xbox Live titles, you agree that Microsoft can transfer your user account information to EA.

Information collected will vary depending upon the activity and may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, mobile number, home address, birth date and credit card information. In addition, we may collect demographic information such as gender, zip code, information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, media, Internet IP address and connection, information about online activity such as feature usage, game play statistics and scores, user rankings and click paths and other data that you may provide in surveys or online profiles, for instance. We may combine demographic information with personal information.

----------

Nice to know you missed the part of the article that said, "Harrison's comments are merely speculative."

You should read this. Another dark day for XBox users.

XBox and EA screw their users privacy

----------

If you sign up to play EA games through Microsoft?s Xbox Live Service, Microsoft will provide your Xbox Live user account information to EA so that we can establish an EA Online account for you. You need an EA Online account to play EA?s Xbox Live titles. By signing up to play EA's Xbox Live titles, you agree that Microsoft can transfer your user account information to EA.

Information collected will vary depending upon the activity and may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, mobile number, home address, birth date and credit card information. In addition, we may collect demographic information such as gender, zip code, information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, media, Internet IP address and connection, information about online activity such as feature usage, game play statistics and scores, user rankings and click paths and other data that you may provide in surveys or online profiles, for instance. We may combine demographic information with personal information.

----------

One, I already knew this.

Two, it doesn't bother me.

Three, I have a choice whether or not I want to buy an EA game.

Four, another dark day? You mean for Playstation fans, right? There's basically bad news for the PS3 everyday.

And five, what's to say that Sony wont do that with the PS3?

Here's a reminder of the rules, XGuNn3rX.

Unacceptable Forum or News comments.

While some members feel that post count is important, there are some posts that do not contribute to the community in any way whatsoever. Below is a list of unacceptable posts. If you wish to direct a fellow member to something that has already been posted, please do so in a courteous manner.
  • "Old news" or anything similar.

• "(Insert product or brand) sucks" or anything similar.

• "I posted this x days ago!!!" or anything similar.

I would suggest you read our Forum Rules.

Remember, this is a discussion; don't try to instigate flame wars. :)

Here's a reminder of the rules, XGuNn3rX.

Unacceptable Forum or News comments.

While some members feel that post count is important, there are some posts that do not contribute to the community in any way whatsoever. Below is a list of unacceptable posts. If you wish to direct a fellow member to something that has already been posted, please do so in a courteous manner.
  • "Old news" or anything similar.

• "(Insert product or brand) sucks" or anything similar.

• "I posted this x days ago!!!" or anything similar.

I would suggest you read our Forum Rules.

Remember, this is a discussion; don't try to instigate flame wars. :)

Maybe you should read the rules, since I broke none of them. None of my post was flaming and I never said any console sucked, just that the PS3 had been getting alot of bad news lately. If you want to abuse your mod powers, go ahead, but I didn't brake no rule.

----------

OMG.

So by signing up for XBox Live, both MS and EA basically get your entire life story. They get your personal info, access to your money, where you go on the web... that is ridiculous! I guess I'm gonna have to start going over EULAs with a fine-toothed comb before agreeing to them from now on. I'm glad I stick with PC games (although they're sure to follow up the trend).

@ XGuNn3rX: I can see some of your points, but I totally disagree with you on a couple things you mentioned.

1. You said that the XBox360 has a 3% failure rate. I'm not sure whom your source is, but I can tell you they are feeding you a load of crap. I have 4 friends who currently own an XBox360, and literally 3 out of 4 of those have failures of some form, most involving overheating (so at least in this case, that's a 75% failure rate). My one friend can't even play his for very long on it's side; it has to be standing up in a wide open space, otherwise it overheats and crashes after 20 minutes. And that is a brand spanking new XBox360 we're talking about, not a refurb. I checked out his fans and they aren't dusty or blocked; it is simply an awful design on Microsoft's part.

The fact that MS can't manage to properly cool a video game system that consumers have to pay $300-400 for is an outright atrocity! I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two, thousands of people start having their XBox's die from heat. Any system that runs hot all the time will not last long (I build computers, so that much I can tell you with confidence).

2. I don't see how you can consider Sony including a Blu-Ray DVD player in the PS3 a bad thing. The standalone Blu-Ray players cost around $1000, so considering that the PS3 has a dozen times more processing power and costs only half as much, that is actually an awesome bargain! Sony will literally lose money with each PS3 they sell (although they expect to make up that loss by games and Blu-Ray media sold). And as rridgely said, the PS3 games will be on Blu-Ray disks, so that drive will be a necessity. And if you're salty about the fact that the games are on Blu-Ray instead of cheaper, standard DVDs, consider this: games already exist that push the 4.7 GB limit of DVDs, due to huge levels and high quality textures. So most shiny new games will need more space to work with than a DVD can offer. So instead of having to switch disks every time you beat a level, Sony used a high density Blu-Ray DVD that can hold 25-50 GBs, so you won't need to keep track of and switch disks half a dozen times. In my humble opinion, that is a great idea, and in no way a bad thing.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

nice post, lokoike.

XGuNn3rX,

no point trying to convice us that the 360 is more worth getting than the PS3. PS3 will boost in sales because they have the next generation video player. it is cheaper to buy the in-built blu-ray player in the PS3 than getting one separately. in about a year or two or at the very most three, DVDs will be outdated. there will still be a few people thats using the DVD since its cheaper and smaller capacity. its just like the SVCD and VCD. they were very popular in the late 90s. and there probably was a discussion saying who wants a DVD and what kind of data would fill up a 4.7GB disc. and my gosh there are people now saying what kind of data would fill up a 54GB disc. 54GB discs arent all that big anymore. at the end of the year 300GB discs called Holographic discs will be out and at the end of next year 1.6TB discs will be out. with HD-DVD discs only reaching 28GBs for this kind of generation is foolish. its way too small.

dont worry about it mate. only time will prove you wrong. :D

@ XGuNn3rX: I can see some of your points, but I totally disagree with you on a couple things you mentioned.

1. You said that the XBox360 has a 3% failure rate. I'm not sure whom your source is, but I can tell you they are feeding you a load of crap. I have 4 friends who currently own an XBox360, and literally 3 out of 4 of those have failures of some form, most involving overheating (so at least in this case, that's a 75% failure rate). My one friend can't even play his for very long on it's side; it has to be standing up in a wide open space, otherwise it overheats and crashes after 20 minutes. And that is a brand spanking new XBox360 we're talking about, not a refurb. I checked out his fans and they aren't dusty or blocked; it is simply an awful design on Microsoft's part.

The fact that MS can't manage to properly cool a video game system that consumers have to pay $300-400 for is an outright atrocity! I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two, thousands of people start having their XBox's die from heat. Any system that runs hot all the time will not last long (I build computers, so that much I can tell you with confidence).

Microsoft have said it is a 3% defect rate. You can choose not to believe that, but it's the only thing close to fact that you're going to get.

You claim that 3 of your friends got defects, which what I think, IMHO, is BS. I could probably name 10 people that I know of that got 360's on launch day. Out of all ten, one was defective, and it was as simple as taking the console back to the store and getting a new one. My friend was still able to keep his hardrive aswell, so he hadn't lost game saves or anything.

I have had ZERO problems and have been amazed by the quality of the product. The same can also be said for those 9 friends who didn't get a defect.

Even if you really believe that the 360 has huge amout of defects, you cannot deny that the PS3 will have worse. The CELL and Blu-Ray are new technologies and it's bound to happen. If your going to fork out $600US on launch day for the PS3, you better pray to god that Sony fixes/replaces it if you get a defect.

2. I don't see how you can consider Sony including a Blu-Ray DVD player in the PS3 a bad thing. The standalone Blu-Ray players cost around $1000, so considering that the PS3 has a dozen times more processing power and costs only half as much, that is actually an awesome bargain! Sony will literally lose money with each PS3 they sell (although they expect to make up that loss by games and Blu-Ray media sold). And as rridgely said, the PS3 games will be on Blu-Ray disks, so that drive will be a necessity. And if you're salty about the fact that the games are on Blu-Ray instead of cheaper, standard DVDs, consider this: games already exist that push the 4.7 GB limit of DVDs, due to huge levels and high quality textures. So most shiny new games will need more space to work with than a DVD can offer. So instead of having to switch disks every time you beat a level, Sony used a high density Blu-Ray DVD that can hold 25-50 GBs, so you won't need to keep track of and switch disks half a dozen times. In my humble opinion, that is a great idea, and in no way a bad thing.

First of all, I recommend you read this: http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

And secondly, I don't care if I have to switch disks. I'm not lazy and I'd rather save the extra money then pay a few extra hundred dollars so I don't have to switch disks.

nice post, lokoike.

XGuNn3rX,

no point trying to convice us that the 360 is more worth getting than the PS3. PS3 will boost in sales because they have the next generation video player. it is cheaper to buy the in-built blu-ray player in the PS3 than getting one separately. in about a year or two or at the very most three, DVDs will be outdated. there will still be a few people thats using the DVD since its cheaper and smaller capacity. its just like the SVCD and VCD. they were very popular in the late 90s. and there probably was a discussion saying who wants a DVD and what kind of data would fill up a 4.7GB disc. and my gosh there are people now saying what kind of data would fill up a 54GB disc. 54GB discs arent all that big anymore. at the end of the year 300GB discs called Holographic discs will be out and at the end of next year 1.6TB discs will be out. with HD-DVD discs only reaching 28GBs for this kind of generation is foolish. its way too small.

dont worry about it mate. only time will prove you wrong. :D

You're so confident that the PS3 is going to win next gen, aren't you? :lol:

-------------------------------------

I thought this was funny...

Sony announces that first Blu-ray disc drive won’t play Blu-ray movies! :lol:

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners...40091720,00.htm

-------------------------------------

And about the rumour of having HD-DVD games on the 360...

"I'm seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.

Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we’ve been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD.

At this point, we haven’t seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disc manufacturing, and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience. We are focused on making great HD games available to consumers now, and games like “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion” clearly show that beautiful high def graphics and huge, immersive worlds to explore are possible on the DVD9 format."

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/200.../16/536859.aspx

This man speaks the truth.

What exactly does Playstation 3 offer to consumers that warrants a $600 price tag?

Better visuals? Nope.

More games? Nope.

More exclusives? Nope.

Innovative features/services? Nope.

Blu-Ray? An unproven format which could easily end up like the UMD.

yes, i am very confident that the PS3 will win next gen, theres no doubt about it.

the PS3 graphics are better than the 360. that is main reason im getting the PS3.

yes, i am very confident that the PS3 will win next gen, theres no doubt about it.

the PS3 graphics are better than the 360. that is main reason im getting the PS3.

And you're so confident that it's going to win because..? Because the Playstation brand has a very large fanbase? Well guess what, people said that about Nintendo going into fifth generation (N64, PS1) and look what happened (they got beat by Sony). There is no way Sony is going to win next gen with that price tag. Sure, maybe you and me might be able to afford it, but the majority that made up the Sony fanbase can't. The console is too much, and I wont be surpised if Sony end up coming last place.

And so far the PS3 hasn't shown any graphics that are better then the 360.