CCleaner does not empty my recycle bin even is checked

Nikeei

I use Win 10, was fine with the last CCleaner didn't have any problems, once i reinstalled it, don't want to doi it, my Recycle bin is not corrupted, i got checked my device regulary and keep in good fit :) 

I was not having any issues with the provous CCleaner , that's why paid for anohter year, was fully happy with the job done... 

I emailed the support team about Kamo too that is giving an issue with my internet loading and blocking it, slows down my laptop, to boot or load files programs, if i quit it all backs to normal attitude

Warm regards, Nike Ei.

I just installed the latest version (8704) of CCleaner Pro and it does not clear the recycle bin even though it's selected.  I'm running Windows 10 21H1.  It is a fresh build (today) so there is nothing wrong with the recycle bin.  I use CCleaner custom clean option to clear everything including the recycle bin.  It no longer clears the recycle bin. The previous version worked.  This one does not.  Suggestions?

• Moderators

Even though It's a fresh build I would still do the check/fix for a possibly corrupted bin as in Hazelnuts link above.

How much is in the bin? (We have seen problems in the past with very full bins with lots of GBs of junk in them).

I'd try using Windows built in Disk Cleanup, it takes time but can sometimes clean up 'blockages' with the bin and then CCleaner runs as normal again.

PS. I also have 21H1 and the latest CCleaner, I don't have any problem with it cleaning the bin with either Custom Clean or Health Check.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

A few hundred KB is in the recycle bin.  I can empty the recycle bin by right-click.  I'll try the Hazelnuts link.

I tried the Hazelnuts link and the problem still exists.

Edited by LWesson

• Moderators

I'm not sure if when you say right-click you are meaning in the bin itself or right-clicking the option in Custom Clean?

When your Run Custom Clean and it doesn't clean the bin is it cleaning other stuff?
ie. Is it just the bin or is it not cleaning at all?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I can clear the recycle bin by right-clicking on it and clicking on empty recycle bin.

Everything else is cleaned when I run CCleaner except the recycle bin.  I have tried toggling the recycle bin option, but it still doesn't clean it.

• Moderators

Did you run Disk Cleanup?

As said that can sometimes clear any blockage that is thwarting CCleaner.

It's a shame that @Nikeei didn't come back so we could compare the 2 cases.

• Moderators

Please - Run Windows Disk Cleanup.

We know that it takes time - and Please once it has done the initial scan then you must click the button that says 'Clean up system files' -  which can take longer.

Sometimes Windows 10 does things a bit differently - and then you have to clean up the Windows System files before other applications like CCleaner can access them properly.

CCleaner can clear your junk much faster than Windows Disk Cleanup itself can; but sometimes you have to use Windows built in tools so that it clears things.

• Moderators

OK so you have tried the corrupt bin fix, and you have tried Disk CleanUp.

It's odd that we are not seeing multiple reports of a problem, just yourself - and Nikeei who didn't come back.

You might expect a few problems with a new Windows version (21H1) but that does not seem to be the case here.
21H1 doesn't seem to be a problem in this regard, but I'm wondering if Microsoft have changed user account permissions in some way?
I only run one account on my machine.

Are you running CCleaner from an admin account?
Are you running CCleaner from the account where you installed it?
Did you install CCleaner on an admin accout?

My login is an admin account.   I've even tried right-clicking to run as administrator.  Still same issue.

Yes, I'm running it from the account where I installed it.

I'm not sure what to do next?  Is there a way to make ccleaner run some type of login file/errors, etc.  A debugging mode or something?

• Moderators

Yes there is a debug mode that creates a logfile.

Take a look here- https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048363751-Running-CCleaner-for-Windows-in-debug-mode#view-ccleaner-s-activities-in-detail-to-help-with-troubleshooting--0-1

Some of the documentation is out of date and that page is one but it's still valid for WIN 10.
it's the " /debug" that matters.

Understanding the log  it produces take some knowledge of what the entries in the log mean, so :

@Dave CCleaner could you take a look at, or ask the devs to look, any debug log provided here

• Moderators

Thanks,

It may take a while for someone to take a look at the log.
Maybe longer if there is something unusual in there that they want to check out before replying.

I am in no way competent at looking at the logs myself.

Best to leave it to someone who can understand them.

• Moderators

Could be something to do with some user profile corruption or some other corruption. The upgrade to Windows 10 v21H1 caused some corruption on my system drive.

I repaired it running:

1. In Command Prompt or PowerShell run:

ChkDsk /F C:

2. Restart the PC.

3. In Command Prompt or PowerShell run (will take several minutes to complete):

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

4. In Command Prompt or PowerShell run (will take several minutes to complete):

SFC /scannow

5. Restart the PC.

On 19/05/2021 at 18:13, hazelnut said:

How are you cleaning your recycle bin?

Are you running CCleaner program, or right-clicking on recycle bin?

I metnion, i used the cleaner, but since the renew + Kamo i purchased, this version doesn't want to clean the bin even checked in the software, wasnt any issues with the older version, was working fine, so i have to clean  my bin manual, as the CCleaner don't do that :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I run the Pro version as administrator and it clears the desktop recycle bin (in W10) but notes there is 9.8Mb in the "System- Empty System Recycle Bin" and says it is cleared. But if I repeat the same process again it comes up with the same statement suggesting it is not being emptied.  I have done this several times 0n different PCs (all running the same software) with similar results.  It says the System recycle Bin has been emptied but clearly hasn't been.

• Moderators

Sounds like a corrupted recycle bin, or bins plural if you are seeing it on more than one machine.

Although the bin is empty a bytes counter in Windows has not been reset to zero and so the counter just keeps climbing.

It seems to be becoming more of a recurring problem for some (Microsoft) reason.

But it's not a great problem and if you were not using CCleaner (or similar) you would't even notice it and the next Windows update should usually clear/fix it.

See the second post at the top of this thread, made by Hazelnut, for how to fix a corrupted bin yourself.