my ccleaner stopped updating

mwr

Ccleaner Free v5.77.8448(64-bit), Windows 10, set to update automatically and also to notify me of updates available. It stopped updating automatically or notifying me a while ago. Now, when I open Ccleaner, click "Check for updates", it opens a window saying "A new version is available". I click on "Update Now" and it displays a horizontal progress bar showing the update downloading, and then Ccleaner closes without updating.

• Moderators

We see this now and again and it's usually something blocking the download.

Ususally it's an avtivirus, and if it's changed from what it used to do then it could be a change/update  to an antivirus.

Our first suggestion is to download the 'Slim' installer and use that to install the update.
It installs/updates the same CCleaner, but troublesome AV's don't object to it as much as they might to the Standard installer.
You can find the Slim installer here, third one down:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

If that doesn't work then please come back with more details of your Windows version and what AV (and/or Firewalls) you are using.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks, that worked perfectly! Does that mean that each time I want to update ccleaner that I need to download the latest "Slim" installer?

I now note that I installed MalwareBytes after the prior ccleaner update. Would that the the issue?

• Moderators

Malwarebytes is not known for blocking CCleaner.
Malwarebytes doesn't usually block downloads or installs, it monitors for an app/programme trying to alter something that it shouldn't have access to.

Other AV's can be variable in blocking CCleaner installs.
We see it mostly when a CCleaner updated version is newly released.
It can take a few days, or in some cases weeks, before all AV's update their databases to include the new version. Some are more prone to slow definition updates than others.

Other than that what AV's mostly object to is the 'offer' for other software that is included in the CCleaner Standard installer, which connects to a different server and some AV's see that extra connection as suspicious.
That behaviour can also be variable, an AV may block a CCleaner install one week but have no problem with it the week after, it all depends on the AV's definitions.
You can get round that by making CCleaner an exception in the AV so that it no longer blocks it.

The Slim installer doesn't include that offer so AV's don't (normally) object to it.

I'd try updating CCleaner as you normally do for the next update, but if it doesn't work you now know where to find the Slim installer.
Or you could set CCleaner to update itself Automatically: Options>Update

Many regular users have CCleaner set to notify them of an update, and then use the Slim installer to update.

Just out of interest are you running another AV alongside Malwarebytes, (or have Windows Defender turned on as well as MB)?
Many Malwarebytes users run it alongside Defender which saves having another AV installed.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks. I have ESET NOD32 installed and running. About Windows Defender, I never even think about it but looked just now and see the attached status. What seems strange to me is that my network right here at home, "seri_art 5", appears under "Guest or public networks".

When I was trying to install the ccleaner update, I did try disabling ESET and that didn't change anything.

explorer_5jeCvUGZ8P.png

• Moderators

That's the Windows Defender Firewall, which is different to the Windows Defender antivirus.
Although complimentary as part of 'Windows Security' they work seperately, and can be configured seperately.

image.png

Windows Defender antivirus will have turned itself off when it saw another AV was installed.
If you uninstall the other AV then Windows Defender antivirus will turn itself on again.

Malwarebytes lets you choose to keep Windows Defender AV running at the same time as Malwarebytes if you want tho have both running.
Something you shouldn't normally do with traditional AV's, but MB doesn't work like a traditional AV which is why Defender AV allows it to be run at the same time.

Your network showing as public is a setting you make when you first connect to a network, you have told it not to let your computer be discoverable on that network so it's public.
This explains it and how you can change it again from Windows settings:
https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats-the-difference-between-private-and-public-networks-in-windows/

>Your network showing as public is a setting you make when you first connect to a network, you have told it not to let your computer be discoverable on that network so it's public.<

Did you mean "you have told it to let your computer be discoverable on that network" (without the "not")?

• Moderators

No it's as I stated, the "not" should be there. - I'll admit that it seems counter intuitive until you get your head round it.
(When I first came across it it took me a while to grasp it).

It's not about what the network actually is,
it's all about whether you've told your machine to trust any other machines connected to that network or not.

Different machines could see the same network differently, either Private or Public, all depending on whether you told that machine to trust others on the network or not.
It's what your machine thinks the network is (what you have told it), rather that what the network actually is.

If you've said to allow discovery then Windows assumes that's because it's a private network and you trust any other machines on it.
If you've said not to allow discovery then Windows assumes that because it's a public network and you don't trust other machines on it.

From that link I gave above:

On Private networks, Windows enables network discovery features. Other devices can see your Windows computer on the network, allowing for easy file sharing and other networked features. Windows will also use the Homegroup feature to share files and media between your PCs.

On Public networks–like those in coffee shops–you don’t want your computer to be seen by others, though, or share your files with them. So Windows turns off these discovery features. it won’t appear to other devices on the network and won’t try to discover them. Even if you’ve set up a Homegroup on your PC, it won’t be enabled on a public network.

It’s simple, really. Windows assumes that your private networks–like your home or work networks–are trusted networks full of other devices you may want to connect to. Windows assumes that public networks are full of other people’s devices you don’t want to connect to, so it uses different settings.

>If you've said to allow discovery then Windows assumes that's because it's a private network and you trust any other machines on it.
If you've said not to allow discovery then Windows assumes that because it's a public network and you don't trust other machines on it.<

Thanks. That explains it well. And I successfully changed my home network from Public to Private. In my version of Win 10 there is an actual choice for that, with no need to specify "discovery".