Duplicate Analysis Details ver. 5.77.8448 (64-bit)

Guest johnccleaner

This is a known issue; our development team is aware of it, it's just not a major priority at the moment as it's solely a display error. 

No action needs to be taken on your side, and it doesn't affect the cleaning - just disregard the duplicated entries for the moment. (I notice you're using the previous version, 5.77, but I believe that this still affects 5.78 as well.)

Sorry for any inconvenience that this might cause, and I hope I could clear this up at least.

• Developer

Hello @cphisher,

I'm a member of the CCleaner development team and it would be very helpful if you could provide us with some additional information about the issue. Could you please try to answer the following questions?

• Are the duplicates in the rules tree on the left displayed also without running the analysis, or do they appear only after the analysis has finished?
  • Did you visit some other screens (Health Check, Registry,...) before navigating to the Custom Clean?
  • What have you set as your home screen (Options - Settings - CCleaner Home Screen)?
  • Are you using any custom .ini files?

Thank you very much!

• Moderators

@Rostia CCleaner

This glitch has been going on for a while, to save you a bit of searching here are some previous threads about it:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/57030-ccleaner-v5647613-cleaning-duplication-doubling-bug/?tab=comments#comment-315847

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59682-duplicate-items-are-listed-to-be-cleaned-after-analysis-in-v-5758238/?tab=comments#comment-325613

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59202-ccleaner-duplicates-all-items-on-selection-window/?tab=comments#comment-323371

I've occasionally seen it myself, but it's intermittent and very infrequent.
So it's seemingly impossible to replicate reliably.
Best of luck tracking it down.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, nukecad said:

@Rostia CCleaner

This glitch has been going on for a while, to save you a bit of searching here are some previous threads about it:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/57030-ccleaner-v5647613-cleaning-duplication-doubling-bug/?tab=comments#comment-315847
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59682-duplicate-items-are-listed-to-be-cleaned-after-analysis-in-v-5758238/?tab=comments#comment-325613
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59202-ccleaner-duplicates-all-items-on-selection-window/?tab=comments#comment-323371

I've occasionally seen it myself, but it's intermittent and very infrequent.
So it's seemingly impossible to replicate reliably.
Best of luck tracking it down.

Just sent Rosita the links earlier !!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

On 15/04/2021 at 05:50, Rostia CCleaner said:

Hello @cphisher,

I'm a member of the CCleaner development team and it would be very helpful if you could provide us with some additional information about the issue. Could you please try to answer the following questions?

• Questions removed and answered individually

Thank you very much!

Are the duplicates in the rules tree on the left displayed also without running the analysis, or do they appear only after the analysis has finished?

Didn't notice the duplicate tree rules list. I just opened  CCleaner and I see that both WINDOWS and APPLICATIONS rules lists are duplicated.
See attached screen capture.

Did you visit some other screens (Health Check, Registry,...) before navigating to the Custom Clean?

No.
When I click on / open CCleaner from desktop icon / link the window presented is clear/blank only the left tree is displayed, after clicking the Analyze button, the list is presented. As mentioned in OP, duplicate references occur intermittently. 

What have you set as your home screen (Options - Settings - CCleaner Home Screen)?

Home screen = Custom Clean; see attached screen capture
NOTE: CCleaner has been updated to 5.78.8558 (64-bit)

Are you using any custom .ini files?

No.
There are no custom or saved .INI files.
See attached screen capture showing Options=>Advanced settings along with directory window displaying CCleaner install folder

- peace,

CCleaner-Set-Home_5.78.png

CCleaner-Adv_Folder-NOini.png

CCleaner_CustClean.png

Edited by cphisher
modified answer, attached 3rd image

• 2 weeks later...

Release Notes (ccleaner.com)
Release Notes
v5.79.8704 (29 Apr 2021)

• We have added optional debug logging to try to catch a rare ‘rule duplication’ bug

I assume that logging is in reference to this thread?
Where's the log? It's location is not defined in release notes, it doesn't appear in options section.

I inquire because I have not had any duplicate references or other anomalies since I last replied until today when I upgraded to 5.79.8704 (64-bit)

After upgrading, I decline the CCbrowser and tick the run CCleaner box. This is what I'm presented with:
no rules! (IMG #1)

Close CCleaner, ReOpen CCleaner and the rules are back with duplicates! (IMG #2)

I would have uploaded the debugger log file but I have no idea how/where to access it. It's not in the local C:\Program\ccleaner directory.

CC5-79_BrowserDecline_noRulesAnalyze0results.png

CC5-79_closeReOpen_1stUse_dupeRulesAnalysis.png

• Developer

Hi @cphisher,

I was going to ask you for those logs but you were faster. :)

CCleaner doesn't create logs by default, this needs to be explicitly enabled. To do that, could you please run CCleaner with a "/debug" argument? You can either:

• Run CCleaner from the command line ('CCleaner64.exe /debug' from the folder where it is installed)
  • Or create a shortcut and add the argument to the target like this (and then run CCleaner using this shortcut):

image.png

The log will be created in the CCleaner install folder. May I please ask you to get that log and send it to me?

Too bad the /DEBUG parm wasn't explained in release notes, might have been able to catch the quirk sooner. I have not experienced any duplicates since upgrading, maybe on next update?

There is more than 1 log file.
There is a lil.log along with a CCleaner64_v5.79.8704_DATE-TIME.log

I will leave the debug parameter set and PM you when duplicates appear again.

It appears this thread has reached it's MAX attachment capacity

1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 0.444kB, and was skipped

• Developer
2 hours ago, cphisher said:

Too bad the /DEBUG parm wasn't explained in release notes, might have been able to catch the quirk sooner. I have not experienced any duplicates since upgrading, maybe on next update?

It's hard to predict this behavior apparently. The fact that it re-occurred and even changed after an update is however quite interesting and I'll try to take a look at it again with this in mind.

There is more than 1 log file.
There is a lil.log along with a CCleaner64_v5.79.8704_DATE-TIME.log

lil.log is a license component log, you can ignore that one.

I will leave the debug parameter set and PM you when duplicates appear again.

Thank you! Maybe delete the old logs once in a while, so that they don't take up your space. A new log file is created every time CCleaner runs (with the /debug argument).