Smart Cleaning starts with windows, even when disabled

Hi all, I've been using CCleaner for years. In one of the later versions, Smart Cleaning re-enables itself to launch with Windows even after the "Enable Smart Cleaning" option is unticked (See screenshot below). Even with the box unticked, it starts with windows every time. I have to delete the startup entry through CCleaner, but the very next time i open the program it adds itself back into the startup tab, but doesn't put a tick in the "Enable Smart Cleaning" box.

Am i missing something, is this a bug, am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

SmartCleaning.JPG

• Moderators

When you say that Smart Cleaner is re-enabling itself to launch with Windows what is it that you are seeing that makes you believe that?

Could you also post a screenshot of what you are seeing on the Startup Tab?

If it's just the startup tab then I believe that you may be missunderstanding the startup tab options.
(If it's something else then we can take a look).

'Deleting' and entry from CCleaners Startup list simply removes it from that list, it doesn't actually remove the task from Windows or change it's status.

'Disabling' a task stops it from being run by Windows.

image.png

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the response, It appears in the system tray icon bottom right of my desktop. Below is a screenshot of the startup tab, it's there as "Enabled" however the box for smart cleaning is still unticked.

image.png.43c11dac43b03c393b24495cb7905be4.png

I've just disabled it in the startup tab now too. But it still keeps popping up in the sys tray every time i open the program. Even after right clicking it in the sys tray and choosing "exit". 

• Moderators

Good,

Note that the system Tray Icon may also be put there if you have "Keep CCleaner Automatically Updated" selected on Options>Update.
Automatic updating is fairly new in the Free version and is now also accomplished by means of a Windows background task so Windows puts the icon in the tray.
(It checks at boot and then once every 12 hours for a CCleaner version update).

Of course your screenshot shows that the Smart Cleaning is enabled.

I think that what you are seeing is an odd glitch that popped up for some users when that Automatic Updating was first introduced. (In which case it's probably been going on a while for you, since last November or so although you may not have noticed before).
For some reason, for some users, Windows Task Scheduler got confused between the different background tasks for Smart Cleaning and Automatic Updating.

Try following the steps in this post which worked to clear it up:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59567-cleaner-5748198-runs-smart-cleaning-even-though-i-unchecked-smart-cleaning/?tab=comments#comment-325149

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

As easy as that, thank you. I went into settings and unticked "update automatically" and the second i clicked it the sys tray icon disappeared! I will keep an eye on it and if it comes back I will follow the other steps you posted. For now just unticking that box seems to have done the trick :)

Many thanks for the help, this has been bugging me for some time. I was hoping it would go away in a later update but it didn't. Thanks again!

• Moderators

Glad to help, that now rules out the automatic updater putting the icon there but is your Startup still showing Smart Cleaning as enabled?

Do a restart and if Smart Cleaning is still showing 'enabled' then I suggest that you follow the steps as linked.