Jump to content

Important message to CCleaner for Mac users


timfea926

Recommended Posts

  • Admin
16 hours ago, Keezy said:

Cclener version. 1.18.30

Mac Version: 12.1 Monterey

@Keezy: Therein lies the problem.  CCleaner for Mac 1.18.30 was released for compatibility with BigSur, but Monterey came out after that - and older utility software tends not to be compatible with newer operating systems.  The CCleaner for Mac 2.x series is compatible with Monterey (and M1 hardware), but is currently only available for paying users, as per the notes above. We will be releasing a free version at some point in the near future (either along with CCleaner for Mac 2.3 or CCleaner for Mac 2.4)

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Defraggler - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

@Keezy: Therein lies the problem.  CCleaner for Mac 1.18.30 was released for compatibility with BigSur, but Monterey came out after that - and older utility software tends not to be compatible with newer operating systems.  The CCleaner for Mac 2.x series is compatible with Monterey (and M1 hardware), but is currently only available for paying users, as per the notes above. We will be releasing a free version at some point in the near future (either along with CCleaner for Mac 2.3 or CCleaner for Mac 2.4)

I'm a paying user, i wrote the assitance more than one week ago but i did not get the version for Monterey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 15/01/2022 at 12:50, Anyone said:

If the free version of CCleaner for Mac doesn't work

An interesting hypothetical.  You can try the free version of CCleaner for Mac 2.x in a little while when it is released and form your own conclusions perhaps?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Defraggler - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave CCleaner said:

An interesting hypothetical.  You can try the free version of CCleaner for Mac 2.x in a little while when it is released and form your own conclusions perhaps?

With every update of OS X CCleaner gets worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
4 hours ago, Anyone said:

With every update of OS X CCleaner gets worse

Well yes - as one might expect, if you are still using the old CCleaner 1.18.30 (which was released back in October 2020 for compatibility with BigSur 11.01) then, as per the notes above, it may well have issues with operating system versions that were released after that such as BigSur 11.1+, and Monterey 12.0+. As with any software, there is no guarantee that older versions will work on newer OSes that were released afterwards.

  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.1-11.4 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.0 (released June 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.5 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.1 (released August 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.6+ and Montery 12.0 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.2 (released November 2021) or higher.

 

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Defraggler - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Well yes - as one might expect, if you are still using the old CCleaner 1.18.30 (which was released back in October 2020 for compatibility with BigSur 11.01) then, as per the notes above, it may well have issues with operating system versions that were released after that such as BigSur 11.1+, and Monterey 12.0+. As with any software, there is no guarantee that older versions will work on newer OSes that were released afterwards.

  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.1-11.4 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.0 (released June 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.5 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.1 (released August 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.6+ and Montery 12.0 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.2 (released November 2021) or higher.

 

 

I downloaded the Ccleaner for Mac 2.1 but i can not see the option to clean the browser automatically when i close it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 16:37, Dave CCleaner said:

Well yes - as one might expect, if you are still using the old CCleaner 1.18.30 (which was released back in October 2020 for compatibility with BigSur 11.01) then, as per the notes above, it may well have issues with operating system versions that were released after that such as BigSur 11.1+, and Monterey 12.0+. As with any software, there is no guarantee that older versions will work on newer OSes that were released afterwards.

  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.1-11.4 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.0 (released June 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.5 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.1 (released August 2021) or higher.
  • For compatibility with BigSur 11.6+ and Montery 12.0 you would need CCleaner for Mac 2.2 (released November 2021) or higher.

 

Hi Dave. I always download the latest updates of everything. I can only see 1.18.30 to download. Hope the next update makes things better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

It looks like any other of the "cleaners' it has similar features. I used it as soon as I installed it where it cleaned the log files. The log files don't appear on a subsequent scan.
Log files are always present but v2-3-136 isn't finding them. V1-18-30 would find them but didn't clean all of them. 

I refer to CCleaner for Windows again, it cleans everything out and returns a result of zero files after 2 or 3 "Run Cleaner" actions.

Perhaps Admin will come up with a reason that will seem like an answer! I think this version just tries to assure the user everything has been cleaned and not to worry that it hasn't. V2-13-136 looks pretty and it is designed to break away from the older version but it's mostly cosmetic. Hmm oh well we get what we're given

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I refer to CCleaner for Windows again, it cleans everything out and returns a result of zero files after 2 or 3 "Run Cleaner" actions.

Actually the Windows version doesn't do that, - following a clean Windows always puts 'empty' Windows logfiles and temporary files there; waiting for you to start filling them again.

However it may look like they have all gone if you do 2 or 3 consecutive runs, but that's only because Windows pauses recreating the empty logfiles and temporary because something keeps deleting the new ones.
Once you stop repeatedly cleaning/deleting the (already empty) new files with CCleaner, Windows will soon put new empty log-files back again.

See the sections starting with "Windows files that re-appear straight after cleaning" for a longer explanation of how that works and why some files will always come back straight after cleaning on Windows: (and then where it says 'Windows' just substiute 'MacOS')
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files-not-cleaned-files-coming-back-solvedexplained/?tab=comments#comment-300043

 

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CC v2-3-136 is only deleting log files on the first pass but not on subsequent passes until the first pass on the day after. I also had to enter my password so no change from v1.18.30

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

So CCleaner for Mac is deleting the logs - but only once each day?

I'm not sure about Mac but in the Windows version there are a few "Only delete files over 24 hours old" settings for various cleaning tasks.

I'd check the settings in the new Mac version for similar.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, nukecad said:

So CCleaner for Mac is deleting the logs - but only once each day?

I'm not sure about Mac but in the Windows version there are a few "Only delete files over 24 hours old" settings for various cleaning tasks.

I'd check the settings in the new Mac version for similar.

Well!! That was fantastic!! After checking the settings CC deleted my browser. I'm not impressed!! What were you thinking about when writing v2-3-136 code?
So now going back to settings to put them back to default. Would you mind writing the code for a Cleaner of history not the wipeout of essential apps?
It's not going terribly well for CCleaner is it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had to re-install 4 more apps CC deleted!!! What is CCleaner V2-3-136? Is it a JOKE app? It's doing things I don't want. I know how to remove apps and if I needed to I would do it without CCleaner. I need to uninstall CCleaner and try installing it again to reset the defaults

Edited by Anyone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

LOL, I don't write the code, I don't even work for the company.

None of the forum moderators do.
We are users, like yourself, who over time have proved themselves knowledgeable and helpful.
Unfortunately we are short of experienced Mac users on the forum, so we do our best.

It shouldn't have cleaned/deleted your browser, or anything else, unless you set it to clean/delete them.
But just in case this is a bug (although nobody else is reporting the same) I'll flag your report for staff attention.

It will probably help if you tell us what OS version you have, and what browser and apps went missing for you.

 

Back to the logfiles thing:

Looking at the new documentation for v2.# there are a few things that CClenaer for Mac v1.# did that v2.# no longer does
You might want to take a look yourself at the various sections in that documentation:
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/categories/4418978752525-CCleaner-for-Mac-v-2

But for now here's what has been removed between v1.# and v2.#:
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/4422885195149-Why-is-the-new-CCleaner-for-Mac-missing-some-features-such-as-Wipe-Free-Space-

On of the things that I note has been removed is "ability to clean Recent Documents, Recent Applications, and Recent Places."

It may be that it's baked into newer MacOS that you can't delete (system) files (logfiles etc.) less than 24hrs old? So there would be no setting for it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Errmmmm ok.

This CCleaner are you sure it works? Because I just scanned and it identified trash files in the recycle bin. I did a clean and guess what? The trash file is still present in the recycle bin! I think you need to have another look at V2-3-136!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anyone said:

Errmmmm ok.

This CCleaner are you sure it works? Because I just scanned and it identified trash files in the recycle bin. I did a clean and guess what? The trash file is still present in the recycle bin! I think you need to have another look at V2-3-136!

Plus log files still present after running CC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.