Can't wipe hard drive version 5.78

rw330

• Moderators

Wipe Free Space has issues and was disabled in v5.78 until they complete their investigation.

Read the official statement at:
https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/ccleaner-v5788558/

Pinning this topic for the time being since it will likely be a reoccurring question.

Edited by Andavari
Reworded

How long should it take them to fix this? A lot of utilities can wipe a cache and so forth, but the main reason I like CCleaner is that it does a nice job of wiping free space in a reasonable time. Will they have it fixed soon?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, rw330 said:

I went back to version 5.77 and will stay there until the issue is resolved.

Version 5.77 is the version with the issue which is why it's disabled in version 5.78 as detailed here. I'd recommend that you stop using Wipe Free Space until they have it fixed in a future version - it's not worth the risk of it doing something it isn't supposed to be doing since it is after all securely wiping.

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Hey @Tom H, we are still working on a fix. Unfortunately no ETA at the moment but our team is focusing in bringing this back as soon as possible.

• Moderators
On 28/03/2021 at 08:13, rw330 said:

Since 5.77 may be the problem, I now went back to 5.76.

It's probably safer to not use Wipe Free Space at all, not even in any previous version because who knows exactly when the issue they're investigating actually started. I wouldn't necessarily assume v5.76 doesn't also have the issue.

On 27/03/2021 at 20:40, Bill S said:

How long should it take them to fix this? A lot of utilities can wipe a cache and so forth, but the main reason I like CCleaner is that it does a nice job of wiping free space in a reasonable time. Will they have it fixed soon?

It would seem reasonable to expect a quick fix considering that wiping free space was part of the product being sold.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Tom H said:

It would seem reasonable to expect a quick fix considering that wiping free space was part of the product being sold.

do you code that you know this? Serious question not snark

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com