Ccleaner Update Helper

Error message everyday under "Security and Maintenance" on Windows 10 reads :

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: CCleaner Update Helper. Product Version: 1.8.1067.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Piriform Software. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

I have no idea what to do with this. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

I believe that "CCleaner Update Helper" is part of 'Software Updater' and runs when you tell it to or whenever you run 'Health Check'.

That "error status: 1603" usually indicates that you are trying to install something that is already installed.

So I suspect that you are using Health Check and it may be trying to update something that Windows says is already updated?
(Or possibly if you are on an older CCleaner version it may be CCleaner itself that is trying to update).
Does Health Checks 'Security' show one or more apps to be updated?

Try this:
Open CCleaner and click on Tools>Software Updater then wait for it to tell you if it has found something that it thinks needs updating.

Let us know if Software Updater finds something to update, and if so what it found.

Please also let us know:
Which version of CCleaner you are using?
Is CCleaner Home Screen set to Health Check or Custom Clean?
Which version of Windows you are using?
Are you using any Antivirus other than Windows Defender?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi,

CCleaner updated "Audacity " . I am using CCleaner 5.77.8521 and Home Screen is set at "HealthCheck".

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎31/‎05/‎2020
OS build    19042.868
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I use Norton Internet Security (Norton 360)

I still have the problem with "CCleaner Update Helper"

Thanks

• Moderators

I would check what version of 'Audacity' you have installed, and what version CCleaner Software Updater is offering to 'update' you to.

Version 3.0.0 of Audacity was released on 17th March 2021.
https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_3.0.0

TBH it's not that unusual for a version number to be written differently in different places, which can confuse software updaters.
It can be as simple as the difference between something like "3.0" and "3.0.0"  being written in different places.
We can see it's the same, but computer software is dumb. (Fast but still dumb).

And so CCleaner may think your Audacity needs an update even when it doesn't.
If CCleaner tries to install the version that you already have then Windows will generate that error.

I'll also flag this up to the CCleaner staff.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I'm not sure why twice an hour but that doesn't sound like CCleaner at all.

Do you have any other Software Updater or Driver Updater installed?

Can you post a screenshot of the  message? That may help tell us where it is coming from.
I know that you say it's from Windows "Security and Maintenance" but there may be something else there in a screenshot that gives another clue.

Have you been to the Audicity website and tried updating from there?

• Moderators

This is a user forum, not official support, so the speed of replies depends if someone who knows an answer logs on and sees your post or not.

If you would prefer to raise an official support ticket you can contact official support by emailing them at support@ccleaner.com Use the same email address you used when purchasing CCleaner.
(I have already flagged your issue to the staff, but that's not the same as an individual support ticket).

You new screenshot shows a different error code from the one you first reported: error code 1638.
Again though, that particular 1638 code says that you are trying to install something that is already installed.

Have you been to the Audacity website and made sure that your Audacity is up to date?
(Although TBH I don't think this is to do with updating Audacity).

As for the hourly frequency: CCleaner's Scheduling cannot be set to run on an hourly schedule.
From your Reliability Monitor it looks like Windows itself is trying to reconfigure the updater every hour for some reason.
(There's also an outside chance that something else is trying to alter/hijack the updater).

In your shoes I would uninstall CCleaner, Restart your computer (Restart not Shutdown), run a scan with Windows Defender and/or your own antivirus (just to rule out any nasties), and then reinstall CCleaner.
See if that cures the issue.