Drive Wiper - crash dump prevention?

BeeGee

Will the use of Drive Wiper help prevent crash dumps?

How often should one use Drive Wiper? I've read where the over use of Drive Wiper can hurt a hard drive.

• Moderators

Drive wiper is used to securely delete your old files from a computers drive before you sell it or give it away - there is no other (genuine) reason to use it.
That is to prevent the new owner from being able to use a recovery tool to recover and look at your files that used to be on the drive.

'Crash dumps' are something totaly different and are produced when Windows itself or an application crashes (stops working suddenly) for some reason.

If you are getting multiple crash dumps then it indicates that something is wrong - either with your Windows installation, or with a particular app.

If you can give more information of just what these crash dumps are then someone may be able to help sort out the problem.

(PS. I always thought that Rupert Holmes song (Escape) was way too twee/cheesy  I do like with the Manuel Romain song used in the Laurel and Hardy film though. - Gazing at the sea? Carly Simon?).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BeeGee said:

How often should one use Drive Wiper? I've read where the over use of Drive Wiper can hurt a hard drive.

It will not stop crash dumps. If you're experiencing those too often it's possibly because of buggy or old: drivers (graphics driver for example), BIOS/UEFI, or something running on the system that isn't 100% compatible.

Drive Wiper/Wipe Free Space too often can cause premature wear out of a hard disk and isn't necessary at all unless you wish to sell off your PC to insure your personal files can't be recovered. If you're running it too much you're more-or-less just wasting your time.

Thanks for answering this. I've used Drive Wiper only once, a 'one pass' and only 'free space'.
I've had a "systems dump" six months ago but it came with a more serious situation. [PC locked up-no keyboard function-fan stopped.]  Tried 'Restore' but my PC would shut down before it was complete, in SAFE MODE  C:sfc/scannow, then a 'normal' restart at which time I got the BSOD and a SYSTEMS DUMP. I restarted in SAFE MODE, ran CCLEANER, registry cleaner/fix the Drive Wiper/freespace/one pass. Ran C:scannow again. It restarted normally and restart was successful.

I recently did a 'kernal dump' manually in SYSTEMS AND RESTORE which helped my PC, keeping it from shutting down (which gave me the idea that an impending BSOD was about to happen. Forcing this dump cured this problem. I was just hopping that Drive Wiper would be an alternative to this manual dump I did but, well, guess not.

This is my PC credentials:

Toshiba Satellite A505 Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

1.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7 Q 720

32 kilobyte primary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

487.36 GB HDD 420.74 GB free

(P.S. I like "Escape". Makes me dance!)

• Moderators

From what you describe there then I think that you may want get your computer checked over for FREE by an expert.

We are not allowed to do that here on this forum, but we can point you to those experts who can.

They usualy check for viruses and the like, but are quite happy to check for other problems, and are very helpful generally.
Follow their instructions and if you don't understand anything then ask - Like I say they want to help you.

I suggest that you start here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/
Forget the title, like i say they usually check for nasties, but even if you don't think that you are infected one of the experts will check your computer for other errors.
PS. They don't 'take remote control' of your computer, I'd be suspicious/cautious of anyone who wants to do that.
Instead they will ask you to run some tools to create logs to see what the problem may be and then tell you exactly what to do to fix it.
(In some more difficult cases they may write a 'personalised' script file for you to execute to fix errors on that particular computer).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 20/03/2021 at 22:24, nukecad said:

PS. They don't 'take remote control' of your computer, I'd be suspicious/cautious of anyone who wants to do that.

... there are companies that take remote control 🙂 i remember me darkly an av known as part of avast to solve this or another problem. but not with windows own tool instead its own remote tool.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I'm not fond of allowing a REMOTE analysis in these days. No longer comfortable with that. 

I have used Malwarebytes for YEARS and it has stood me in good stead.

This overheating issue could be related to the very large harddrive I put into this computer 14 years ago after the 125gig drive died. It was explained to me that a 500gig drive might give me some issues later on. Maybe that 'later' has caught up with me.

I do a backup to a Seagate 1Tb external drive using Acronis, just in case.

in my os its the graphic driver that brings me one or another dmp´s from time to time. how andavari say. newer updates dont help and i decide to life with this hardware/driver problem

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BeeGee said:

I'm not fond of allowing a REMOTE analysis in these days. No longer comfortable with that. 

I have used Malwarebytes for YEARS and it has stood me in good stead.

Yes, that why I pointed out that the Malwarbytes helpers don't do that.

They only look at the logs that you provide, and tell you what any problems are and how to fix them.
You could try reading one or two of the threads there to see how it works.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/7-windows-malware-removal-help-support/

I'd love to do just that. What is the BEST way of doing that???

10 hours ago, Andavari said:

Overheating could mean it's time to thoroughly clean the PC and blow all the dust out of it.

12 hours ago, Andavari said:

Overheating could mean it's time to thoroughly clean the PC and blow all the dust out of it.

Or do you mean, open the case and check to see if there is physical dust? I've done that many many times. This pc runs clean. The fan is strong. Over heating location, physically, is on the left side under the heal of my palm.

• Admin
22 hours ago, Andavari said:

... and clean the vents.  This goes double if you have pets.  On one occasion, having left things too long, the amount of hair inside my keyboard and CPU made it seem like my cat was trying to use home technology to clone itself.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

No cats but lots of rugs here. I've even mounted the laptop on a rack that is 5 inches off the desk.
At present, and this is the usual, in the evening the machine runs cooler.

But I will open the case and check out the conditions in side. I've got several cans of air on hand. Thanks for trying to help.

I've joined a Toshiba forum and have been asking around there. So far, no takers on the issue.

• Moderators
On 22/03/2021 at 21:23, BeeGee said:

This overheating issue could be related to the very large harddrive I put into this computer 14 years ago

It may simply be that it's an older machine, older tech did tend to get more overheated more often.

If it's running cooler in the evenings that suggests that the ambient air temperature may be too high during the day for the fan to cool it sufficently?
As Andavari says the heat conducting grease may have 'dried out' so heat from the chip is not being conducted effectively to the heat sink fins that the fan is blowing cooler air onto.

• Moderators

I still think it could be the thermal compound, especially if that 14 year old laptop has never had it done. Some PC manufacturers have stated their factory applied thermal compound will last 8 years. Whereas on YouTube some of the tech inclined on there will re-paste at the 1 or 2 years point with a high quality thermal compound, and some have shown that it can reduce the temperature by 5 degrees Celsius when it was really needed.

• Moderators
On 20/03/2021 at 16:20, BeeGee said:

Note that in the latest version of CCleaner 5.78 released today it says..

Wipe Free Space option disabled in this version

We’re committed to providing the safest PC cleaner on the market. That’s why, after receiving reports that the ‘Wipe Free Space’ optional cleaning setting is erasing more than it should do in some cases, we have disabled it while we complete our investigations

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

3 hours ago, Andavari said:

I still think it could be the thermal compound, especially if that 14 year old laptop has never had it done. Some PC manufacturers have stated their factory applied thermal compound will last 8 years. Whereas on YouTube some of the tech inclined on there will re-paste at the 1 or 2 years point with a high quality thermal compound, and some have shown that it can reduce the temperature by 5 degrees Celsius when it was really needed.

OK then. it has been some years since I opened up the case on this PC (I replaced the fan) so now it is time to so some hardware maintenance.
Some may wonder why I make all this effort on a computer I purchased on 2010? Spending one thousand dollars is something I take seriously and I will make all efforts to keep it up and running. I do the same for my vehicle. Why not my computer?

@BeeGee

can i ask you what the hardware is? cpu, ram, etc...?

a little help perhaps for your overheading laptop:

go to energy settings from your w7 -> advanced powersettings -> processor power management -> Maximum performance state of the processor:

set it for example to 60 or 70 or 80 % <--- this will prevent your cpu from the inbuild self-overtuning and reduced the maximum GHz or MHz to a lower level but with enough power to work with it (not to game 🙂 )

this will also reduce the heat from your cpu

let you run your laptop only with akku or fixed powerconnection?

look at advanced powersettings -> processor power management -> system cooling policy

look at akku: ? passive <--- if you use your laptop most with akku - perhaps try to set on active?

look at power: ? active

I do not run my computer on battery very often and it is constantly plugged in.

But your suggestions, to lower the 'maximum performance state of the processor" is something no one has ever suggested. It is certainly the most logical.

I have now set my 'Maximum..' at 80%. If this helps I will post that results here.

Several years ago, when the installed hard drive of 125gig no longer functioned, I installed a 500gig hard drive (only size I could obtain with the correct profile). I have often wondered if this created this problem? When installing the drive, in the BIOS, I only did an 'Auto detect' to allow the BIOS to control the upgrade. I altered no other settings. Overclocking on my part never took place. But reducing the max CPU power may help. I have hope!

system report 3.24.2021.JPG

UPDATE: 'maximum performance state of the processor" = 80% and the laptop is now stable.

So far.

Thanks, Trium, for your suggestion. It was excellent.