Turn off CCleaner Pro starting at boot.

t_2

Is there a way to prevent CCleaner Pro from starting at boot? I have a couple of slow machines and I don't need anything extra slowing them down. I have turn off every setting in CCleaner but it insists on starting up every boot. How can I fix this?

• Moderators

Two things CCleaner start at boot and stay running in the background, either one will put a CCleaner icon in the System Tray.
Neither of them take up many resources.

1. Options>Updates>Keep CCleaner Updated automatically - Checks on boot, and then every 12 hrs, for a new version of CCleaner.
  2. Options>Smart Cleaning - Monitors for junk building up and cleans it when it reaches a set level, and/or monitors for a browser being closed and then cleans the browser leftovers.

There is also Options>Settings>'Launch the CCleaner app window each time the computer starts'.
That runs a clean on startup and then closes, it doesn't remain running in the background. You will briefly see a flashing icon in the System Tray while it is cleaning on start.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

no, an update should not change your settings.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It can happen that you lose settings if you uninstall/reinstall.

You could use Options>Advanced> Save all settings to INI file.

As part of helping here I will often do uninstalls/reinstals, and do other unusual things to the settings.
So I keep a backup of the ccleaner.ini file that I can copy/paste back into the CCleaner folder to get my preferred settings back.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

OK One machine no longer starts CCleaner at startup. The other one still does. Also if you open CCleaner on the machine with CCleaner showing in the tray the tray icon turns off.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

That sounds like a Windows glitch, especially as it disappears when you open CCleaner.

Which Windows version is running on that machine?

On the one that still has the system tray icon don't open CCleaner but open Task Manager and see if anything 'CCleaner' is actually running in the background.
For example:
image.png

If there is an entry for CCleaner there then watch it for a minute and report if it uses any CPU or if it starys at 0%.

PS. It would be interesting if the CCleaner icon also disappears when you open Task Manager.

Windows 7 Pro all up to date.

Yes the regular user has the CCleaner64.exe Process running.

The process always shows 00 % cpu use.

Opening and closing Task manager does not remove the CCleaner icon from the tray.

Edited by t_2
typo

• Moderators

Just to double check: Is Options>Settings>'Launch the CCleaner app window each time the computer starts' ticked?

(I'm wondering if it is ticked then whether CCleaner is trying to clean at startup but crashing for some reason?)

If it's not ticked then try opening CCleaner and going to Tools>Startup.

Look on the 'Windows' or more probably 'Scheduled Tasks' tabs to see if CCleaner64.exe is set and enabled.

If so then 'Disable' it and reboot the computer to see if that fixes it.
Use Disable not Delete. (Delete only removes an entry from that list in CCleaner, it doesn't disable it).

• Moderators

That's odd because it's Task Scheduler that tells Windows to put icons in the System Tray.

You didn't answer- Is Options>Settings>'Launch the CCleaner app window each time the computer starts' ticked?

But if it isn't then I think your next step is to uninstall and reinstall CCleaner.
You may want to make a note of the name/key before uninstalling,  Options>About click on 'Licence Information'.

To reinstall use the 'Slim' installer (3rd one down) from here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

If it installs as Free rather than Pro simply go to Options>About and click on 'Upgrade to Pro', enter your registered name/key and click 'Register'.

Oh Sorry Options>Settings>'Launch the CCleaner app window each time the computer starts'  is not checked.

Is it possible the problem is related to the fact this machine has so much stuff starting when it boots and is a relatively slow machine? Some sort of startup out of order deal?

If I uninstall and install it will it remember the current CCleaner settings?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, t_2 said:

Is it possible the problem is related to the fact this machine has so much stuff starting when it boots and is a relatively slow machine? Some sort of startup out of order deal?

It shouldn't be if you don't have 'Launch the CCleaner app window each time the computer starts' checked.
It may have been if that was checked.

It does seem that the Task Scheduler may have a task related to CCleaner that has not been cleared when it should have been, which is why I believe an uninstall/reinsatll should fix it.
To be sure you may want to uninstall, reboot, and then check Task Scheduler for anything at all 'CCleaner' related (which shouldn't be there because you have uninstalled CCleaner) and if there is something remove it before installing CCleaner again.

RE saving settings:
If you want to keep the current settings over an uninstall/reinstall then in Options>Advanced tick 'Save all settings to INI file' which will put a file called 'ccleaner.ini' in the CCleaner folder. (Typically C:\Program Files\CCleaner).

Make a copy that ccleaner.ini file anywhere else convienent, maybe the documents folder, and then once you have uninstalled/reinstalled but a copy back into the CCleaner folder and when you open CCleaner it will pick up the settings from the ini file

I mess with settings, and uninstall/reinstall lots of times, when answering questions here and that's the way I put my personal settings back.

(Note though that if it is somehow a setting in CCleaner that is causing the problem on this machine then putting the same settings back may repeat the issue).

Uninstalled and then installed per your instructions. Restored the ini file. No change.

The tray icon is there on boot and the CCleaner64.exe is running.

Nothing in the Task scheduler either.

If I open up CCleaner the tray icon goes away.

• Moderators

Did you check if the tray icon was there BEFORE you restored the .ini file?

Just looking back up this thread there is a setting that we seem to have overlooked, and which could also explain why there's an icon in the system tray that disappears when you open CCleaner.
But it has to be used in a very particular way:- It only puts an icon in the system tray if you 'minimise' CCleaner rather than closing it, and only disappears again if you open CCleaner from that icon itself.

(It's a legacy setting used / left over from older Windows versions, nowadays you would usually 'Pin' CCleaner to the taskbar instead).

Is this option checked on the problem machine?
image.png

• Moderators

Scratching my head.

Would you be willing to attach, or Private Message to me, a copy of that .ini file so that I can give it a whirl in Ccleaner here?
I don't have Win7 here so would have to try it in Win 10, but it may give a clue to if this is a CCleaner problem or a Windows one.

what is with ccleaner?

ccleaner -> tools -> startup "Windows" -> click on ccleaner entry -> on the right side "disable" or "delete"?

restart

perhaps this help?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators
4 hours ago, t_2 said:

What kind of proprietary info is in that file?

Nothing 'identifying' by default, but it will indicate some of the apps you have installed, and if you have made any Includes/Excludes the pathnames will be listed in there, any 'Cookies to keep' will also be listed.
I'd have no qualms about sharing mine, but some people like to be ultra-cautious about sharing info/log files on an open forum, especially if they are not sure just what info may be in the file. (Which I why I suggested doing it by PM if that would make you more comfortable).
There is no guarantee it would help anyway but it's something else I could take a look at.

'ccleaner.ini' is basically in plain text with some added flags to tell CCleaner what your settings are, so you can easily read what yours contains by opening it in notepad or similar.
Mostly the flags are True or False, which correspond to Ticked or Unticked for that option.
Mine currently starts off like this:

[Options]
AP=
AutoICS=1
Brandover=0
Language=1033
(App)Adobe Reader DC=False
(App)Amazon Kindle for PC=True
(App)Autocomplete Form History=False
(App)Bing Finance=False
(App)Bing News=False
(App)Bing Sports=False
(App)Chkdsk File Fragments=True
(App)Clipboard=False
(App)Cookies=True
(App)Custom Folders=True

• Moderators

I wonder if it's an icons cache related issue, although I don't know off hand if it is.

Something I've seen before on older versions of Windows is a "stuck" icons glitch in the SysTray even though the software for it has already closed. The icon stays there until something is done such as moving the mouse cursor over the stuck icon which makes it disappear.

Edited by Andavari
typo

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Andavari said:

I wonder if it's an icons cache related issue, although I don't know off hand if it is.

Yes. I've also been wondering about that.

However it seems like Windows 7 is wanting to put some icon in the system tray at startup, whatever that icon may be.
But it may be that it's using the CCleaner icon because it can't find the one it wants to use? Odd but possible.
And I don't see it doing that unless there is a task set in Task Scheduler?
Might not be a 'startup' task, as you know you can set a startup trigger on other tasks.

Something I've seen before on older versions of Windows is a "stuck" icons glitch in the SysTray even though the software for it has already closed. The icon stays there until something is done such as moving the mouse cursor over the stuck icon which makes it disappear.

That does sound like what is being described here.

Let's see what t_2 comes back with, a refreshing of the icon cache may well be in order and can't hurt.