It freezes while analyzing

RBMunkin

I'm trying to use CCleaner on two computers. On my laptop, after I clicked analyze, it finished very quickly.

But on my desktop, it goes very quickly to 45% and then stops there. It has the spinning icon to show that its working, but it's not. 

I tried 3-4 times and every time it stops at 45%. I left it for over an hour and it didn't budge past that.

Any thoughts on why that would happen on one computer and what to do about it? 

Thanks.

• Moderators

Are you using Custom Clean or Health Check?

There can be different reasons for it sticking depending on which one you are using.

If you can post a screenshot of it when it's stuck that would help us work out what may be the cause, and how you can fix it.

It also usually helps to tell us what Windows version you have, what CCleaner version, and what antivirus.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

Are you using Custom Clean or Health Check?

There can be different reasons for it sticking depending on which one you are using.

If you can post a screenshot of it when it's stuck that would help us work out what may be the cause, and how you can fix it.

It also usually helps to tell us what Windows version you have, what CCleaner version, and what antivirus.

Hi nukecad,

I'm using Custom Clean. Windows 10. CCleaner version 5.76.8269 (64 bit).

Also, I thought I'd uninstall it and reinstall but it won't uninstall either! It also gets stuck. So two screenshots below. The first one where it is stuck while analyzing and the second one where the uninstall gets stuck.

Thanks MUCH for your help. 

Rick

image.thumb.png.c87aaa0dc57b032ab1d818f875f218f5.png

image.thumb.png.43304f0235a343552d9102c23461b264.png

• Moderators

The clean is getting stuck on 'System - Temporary Files'.
(I can't make out the filename itself; looks like 'Amd%.ini' or something similar?)

You could try unticking that category to see if CCleaner will finish then.
But that isn't realy solving the problem, only bypassing it, so:

Run the built in Windows 'Disk Clean-up' selecting 'Clean up system files' - It will take a while to complete, 30 minutes plus is not unusual.

That should clear out whatever system file it is that CCleaner is getting stuck on.

PS. It looks like you had CCleaner open (and stuck) while trying to uninstall it, that would stop it uninstalling until you closed it.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

18 minutes ago, nukecad said:

The clean is getting stuck on 'System - Temporary Files'.
(I can't make out the filename itself; looks like 'Amd%.ini' or something similar?)

You could try unticking that category to see if CCleaner will finish then.
But that isn't realy solving the problem, only bypassing it, so:

Run the built in Windows 'Disk Clean-up' selecting 'Clean up system files' - It will take a while to complete, 30 minutes plus is not unusual.

That should clear out whatever system file it is that CCleaner is getting stuck on.

PS. It looks like you had CCleaner open (and stuck) while trying to uninstall it, that would stop it uninstalling until you closed it.

Hi again, I did what you suggested. Disk Clean Up did not help. But unticking System Temp Files did! So the problem is definitely there. 

But like you said, this isn't really solving the issue. Not sure what to do from here except using CCleaner with that unticked.

Thanks, Rick

• Moderators

That seems quick for Disk Clean-up to have run a system files clean up, especially just after a Patch Tuesday.

Did you select Clean up system files? Were all the boxes ticked?

And just in case it helps work things out, what is that filename at the top of the CCleaner results window when it's stuck?

You could try using Health Check to see if that will clear it, but I suspect it will also get stuck.
Be aware that Health Check Uses it's own rules and does not respect the ticks/unticks from Custom Clean.

If you have not done a "Restart" (not a shutdown) for a while then that can often 'unstick' system files.

23 hours ago, nukecad said:

That seems quick for Disk Clean-up to have run a system files clean up, especially just after a Patch Tuesday.

Did you select Clean up system files? Were all the boxes ticked?

And just in case it helps work things out, what is that filename at the top of the CCleaner results window when it's stuck?

You could try using Health Check to see if that will clear it, but I suspect it will also get stuck.
Be aware that Health Check Uses it's own rules and does not respect the ticks/unticks from Custom Clean.

If you have not done a "Restart" (not a shutdown) for a while then that can often 'unstick' system files.

I couldn't post yesterday. Apparently there is a limit to the number of posts in a given day and I reached the limit!

I'm on a different computer writing this...I decided to restart the computer (why not a shutdown?). It's not restarting. Just says it is and to not turn off the computer. But what choice do I have if it isn't restarting? I guess I have to just hold down the power button to shut it down and then try restarting. Ugh. Something wrong with that computer :(

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RBMunkin said:

.I decided to restart the computer (why not a shutdown?). It's not restarting. Just says it is and to not turn off the computer.

With Windows 10 a Restart actually does more than a Shutdown/Reboot in terms of installing updates and checking for errors and fixing them.

In Windows 10 Shutdown doesn't actually fully shutdown and start from scratch when you boot, with Win 10 Shutdown hibernates the kernel (savs it to disc) and reloads it at boot to make booting faster.

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

You need to do a Restart to finish installing most Windows Updates, It may download them in the background but then needs a Restart to complete the job.

If you haven't done a Restart for a while then there could be quite a few updates pending.
(Do you 'Check for Updates' or do you just let Windows do them automatically?).

I'm guessing it was taking so long because it had found either pending Windows Updates or some error that it was trying to fix.

(There again this weeks Patch Tuesday updates took about 45 minutes installing on this laptop, there were quite a few security fixes).

If it was my machine I would do another Restart and let it finish this time. (Hopefully it's already done most of what it wanted/needed to).

PS. I believe the number of post per day thing is only for new accounts, it's an anti-spam measure to prevent a new account posting multiple spam posts in one day.
(A spambot can make hundreds of posts in one minute).
Once you have a few posts under your belt it no longer applies.