SpeechRunTime.exe

melxpress

I've been running CClearner Pro for many years (several times a day) on a PC and a laptop (both running Windows 10 64-bit).  As of late (over a week now), CC has detected the following "problem" while running the Registry scan on my PC only.  I am unable to figure out why CC is detecting this and why it cannot remove it.  I've searched through Google for SpeechRuntime.exe but doesn't seem to apply to this problem.  I decided to purchase a new SSD with a clean Windows 10 installation and the problem persists.

Problem: ActiveX/COM Issue    

Data: LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier    

Registry Key: HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}

Any help is much appreciated.

Screenshot_1.png

I've got the same "problem".  Defender doesn't seem to have an issue with the exe (scan) and after a check with Run->cmd sfc/scannow there wasn't any malfunction either. So it looks like Ccleaner has some unjust dislike of the exe file. However, maybe i am mistaken . The pc does funtion normally though. Considering you have had the issue as recently as i have, i would feel like a Ccleaner-thing...

Regards, Nico

• Moderators

That is a system entry relating to a system file and Windows is putting it back if you remove it, leave it alone.
(It's part of the upcoming Spring 2021 update to Windows 10, it's just been put on most machines early in preparation for the update).

In fact we reccomend that you leave all registry entries in Windows 10 alone.

Our advice, and Microsoft's, is - don't use any registry cleaner with Windows 10 - if you do you may 'break' your Windows 10 and have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Windows 10 changes the registry frequently, and registry cleaning apps will never be able to keep up with that.

You may get away with using one with no problems for months or years, but it's not worth the risk.

Registry cleaning is an advanced tool (mainly for use on an already broken computer), it's not meant for regular use and will not speed up a working machine in any way.

Here is the Microsoft article about (not) using regisrty cleaners:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Also see this post from Dave CCleaner about the Registry Cleaner in CCleaner:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59952-i-get-a-registry-error-on-ccleaner-on-windows-10-i-have-scanned-5-times/?tab=comments#comment-326804

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

It's clear that I'm not the only one with this specific "speechruntime" problem. It's specific because it's the exact same error and not just random registry entries. While you may say that it's designed for Windows 7 or older, you probably need to speak with your development team to not have this feature for windows 10 if it's dangerous. Like I have mentioned this before, I have used your product for years and never had any issues, which is a good thing because I wouldn't have purchased the PRO if otherwise.

• Moderators

As already said you shouldn't be using any registry cleaner except for troubleshooting/fixing specific problems.

As already said the developers are already looking to remove it from the main menus in CCleaner, so that people are not tempted to use it when they shouldn't do.
(We moderators been nagging them to do this for over a year now).

It can be a useful tool if it is used correctly; so it probably won't be scrapped altogether.

(Chainsaws are not the right tool for carving your Sunday roast, but are useful when used correctly for the right job)

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Registry cleaners can give a false positive which is what's happening.

Goofy and cryptic looking entries in the registry that don't actually resolve to a correct path can trip up many registry cleaners in regards to what's located in C:\Windows which isn't really safe to clean, especially if the OS or a software doesn't automatically add it back in automatically for you.

It's a reason they should have a setting to skip all detections located in C:\Windows. If you must continue using the registry cleaner (not a good ideal with Windows 10) realize you can manually right-click any entry deemed as "invalid" to exclude it which is especially important for anything that points to C:\Windows as an issue.

WOW...

a PAYING CUSTOMER FOR MANY YEARS!!! is telling the community of an issue...

and a MODERATOR is "indirectly" saying

to the CUSTOMER that HE is the STUPID one ("dont use ANY registry cleaners...", "its an advanced tool...")

to PAY (Pro Version $$$)

for a SERVICE (CCLEANER/Registry cleaner)

for nothing....(using it on win10)

its the WHOLE REASON WHY he has CCleaner. (and the company even existing)...

TL;DR registry cleaners ARE and WILL always be a thing UNTIL Microsoft's auto-cleans itself

now, to OG poster @melxpress

right-click, exclude it for now, i hope support knows about issue very soon

my guess is they will add it as hidden exclusion soon if its legit false pos 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Frenchstud said:

WOW...

a PAYING CUSTOMER FOR MANY YEARS!!! is telling the community of an issue...

to the CUSTOMER that HE is the STUPID one ("dont use ANY registry cleaners...", "its an advanced tool...")

to PAY (Pro Version $$$)

for a SERVICE (CCLEANER/Registry cleaner)

for nothing....(using it on win10)

its the WHOLE REASON WHY he has CCleaner. (and the company even existing)...

TL;DR registry cleaners ARE and WILL always be a thing UNTIL Microsoft's auto-cleans itself

now, to OG poster @melxpress

right-click, exclude it for now, i hope support knows about issue very soon

my guess is they will add it as hidden exclusion soon if its legit false pos 

instead of the advice which irratated you, because you want to use the tool.  Either exclude the offending key as andavari stated or do you registry section as described in my signature below this post.  Unlike my friend nukecad, I don't believe not registry cleaning being a win10 thing; instead I see it as an always windows thing that must be treated with kid's gloves and it has always been that way (i've had this signature since I joined in the early 2000s

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Frenchstud said:

That's just trolling in my opinion. Microsoft has a clear policy on using registry cleaners in Windows 10.

By warning people on this forum to not use the registry cleaner in CCleaner it can save a user from causing a completely avoidable issue that may or may not be easy to remedy.

Using registry cleaners can and will eventually cause issues especially if a user blindly trusts the results and deletes everything presented to them  in a registry cleaner's list of "invalids" which is usually the case.

Registry cleaners may not always be "a thing" as you state for the fact if Microsoft wanted to blacklist any software it wouldn't work with Windows 10 anymore (such as really old versions of CCleaner which you can't use anymore as a relevant example). Registry cleaners are a legacy dinosaur type of tool where I could see could them eventually being relegated as blacklisted if they damage enough Windows 10 installations especially if it becomes a nuisance to Microsoft with too many customer support requests.

• Moderators

We all have our own opinions, and respect each others opinions, mine is based on the official Microsoft stance on Reg Cleaners and Win 10.

I don't say reg cleaners should never be used with Win 10.
Just that they shouldn't be used blithely, and certainly not in the expectation that it will 'speed up' your computer.

The advice in Nergal's signature for using a reg cleaner is good advice.
But Windows has changed a lot since the early 2000's and reg cleaning is not usually necessary with Windows 10.

Unlike Andavari I don't see Microsoft blacklisting ALL reg cleaners, because they are still useful tools when used correctly in the right circumstances.
I do see them blacklisting the more troublesome or aggressive ones, and as we have seen they sometimes regard CCleaner's reg cleaner as troublesome - that is not because it's bad, simply because it is so widely distributed and often used when not needed.
Let's face it, most CCleaner users wouldn't even have a reg cleaner if it wasn't included with CCleaner.

• Moderators

As said above it is a system file that Windows needs (Whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit, Windows needs it):

That is a system entry relating to a system file and Windows is putting it back if you remove it, leave it alone.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, FrankZB said:

I just find it odd that Microsoft would create a situation where a register entry would point to non-existent software.

usually a security reason behind that (maybe not in this case i'm unsure)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The registry has stuff in it that points to seemly nothing and even settings for something that isn't even installed, some of it is for compatibility in case something is installed at a later time. But not all of it gets flagged by registry cleaners (speaking registry cleaners in general not just the one in CCleaner).

Edit:
I've found out it's also related to WinSxS folder, and that alone is like a can of worms to even mess with.

Edited by Andavari

• hazelnut changed the title to SpeechRunTime.exe
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, FrankZB said:

I just find it odd that Microsoft would create a situation where a register entry would point to non-existent software.

I believe that the particular entry discussed here is a new entry related to Cortana, as Hazelnut said above, also it's possibly related to the accessibility options for blind users.

So it's related to the built in Windows utilities.

Any/every Patch Tuesday, or other Windows 10 update, is liable to change the registry and add new entries.
(New entries that a registry cleaner will not recognise, because they are new).

At the moment Windows 10 updater is adding things in the background, and making changes in the registry, that will not be activated until the spring 2021 Feature Update in a month or two. (Windows 10 version 21H1)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-21h1-coming-soon-here-are-the-new-features/

So yes; you will have things on your machine, especially in the registry, that don't seem to be connected with anything - YET.

Registry cleaners will not recognise these new entries/changes, and may/will try to remove them.

Microsoft do this so that when the update/activation comes it's an "Enablement Package" that switches on these already downloaded things making it much quicker than having to download everything at that time.
If you remove them it just means that Windows will have to download them again.

Think of it like getting the paint in ready for redecorating, and putting the right paint in each room for when you start.
If you thrown that new paint out you'll just have to get it again when you come to do the actual painting.

It appears that someone at CCleaner has figured this one out and it no longer shows as an error. (Either that or Microsoft has fixed it!)

Basic question: If were not supposed to run registry cleaners on Windows 10 installation, why is CCleaner selling us a utility that does just that????

• Moderators
1 hour ago, latimers said:

Basic question: If were not supposed to run registry cleaners on Windows 10 installation, why is CCleaner selling us a utility that does just that????

Because Registry Cleaners do have a valid use - for helping to fix a computer that has problems (ie. following a malware infection or if something goes wrong uninstalling an app).

It's  using them for the wrong purpose (to try and speed up a healthy machine, which it won't do) and using them indiscriminately that can cause problems rather than fixing problems.

CCleaner also has a  Disc Analyzer, a Duplicate Finder, and a Drive Wiper - you don't use them everyday, you only use them when you need to - Reg cleaners are the same, only use a registry cleaner when you need to.

And yes, before someone says it -  We all agree that the reg cleaner in CCleaner should be with those tools and not as prominient as it is now.

Even Piriform agree, it's just taking them time to change that:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59952-i-get-a-registry-error-on-ccleaner-on-windows-10-i-have-scanned-5-times/?tab=comments#comment-326804

If it was beneficial to run a routine/regular registry clean in CCleaner then it would have been included as a part of Health Check.
It wasn't included in Health Check because it is NOT beneficial to do a registry clean if you don't need to.
It can be unhealthy to run a registry clean that isn't needed.

I use the portable CCleaner and just started to notice the issue reported in this thread, exactly as shown by melxpress February 6. This started to happen after I uninstalled MinGW manually by removing all libraries of this manager and then ist shortcut and folder, because it did not appear in the apps list for doing the uninstall. This may have left some hanging issues in the register.

The PC is working normally, so I hope this will not be serious and leave it as it stands (though I would prefer to get no register issue reports as I before).

I don't know why some apps cannot be uninstalled normally and leave these register problems.

If someone more experienced has some advice other than doing nothing, I would be grateful.

Registry_issue.JPG

• Moderators

Again -

That registry entry "SpeechRuntimetime.exe" is new to Windows and is needed by Windows, which is why Windows keeps putting it back if you remove it.

It is nothing to do with anything that you may have uninstalled, it is a part of Windows.

See this for more info on what it is, (and why you shouldn't be using the registry cleaner with Windows 10 unless you have a problem to fix).
See also the post by Dave CCleaner which follows that one and explains CCleaner's current policy on using the Registry Cleaner.
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59952-i-get-a-registry-error-on-ccleaner-on-windows-10-i-have-scanned-5-times/?tab=comments#comment-326797