CCleaner v5.76 Does Not Manage Firefox Alternate Search Engines Correctly

lmacri

I have a 64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 OS and am currently using the latest CCleaner Portable v5.76 and Firefox 85. The default search engine for my Firefox address bar and search bar is Google. At each new launch of CCleaner, the CCleaner feature at Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox always shows that all alternate search engines in Firefox are enabled (i.e., even for search engines that are disabled in Firefox at Tools | Options | Search | Search Shortcuts), and enabling/disabling these Firefox search engines from within CCleaner (e.g., changing the status from Enabled = Yes to Enabled = No) has no effect in Firefox. How I can reproduce this problem:

STEP 1: Launch Firefox.  Disable (turn off) all browser extensions except Malwarebytes Browser Guard at Tools | Add-ons | Extensions.  Disable (click to uncheck) all alternate search engines at Tools | Options | Search | Search Shortcuts except Amazon and Bing.  Confirm that Malwarebytes Browser Guard is the only browser extension loaded in the toobar and that Amazon and Bing are the only alternate search engines displayed when searching from the address bar or search bar. Note that enabling/disabling an alternate search engine in Firefox by clicking to toggle the check mark on/off is different from deleting the search engine using the Remove button.  Close Firefox.

667081458_STEP1Firefoxv85MBBrowserGuardAdd-onAmazonandBingSearchEnabled30Jan2021.png.362d7e379ee09e888b78e7bd9a4d6a1b.png

STEP 2: Launch CCleaner and go to Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox.

• Expected: Malware Browser Guard should be the only browser extension enabled (Enabled = Yes).  Amazon and Bing should be the only search engines enabled (Enabled = Yes).
  • Observed: The status of all installed browser extensions in CCleaner is correct (Enabled = Yes for Malwarebytes Browser Guard; Enabled = No for Adblock Plus, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Save Page WE).  The status of alternate search engines in CCleaner is incorrect (Enabled = Yes for all alternate search engines, including DuckDuckGo, eBay, Wikipedia, etc. and not just Amazon and Bing).

1447295448_STEP2CCleanerPortablev5_76_8269FFExtensionsCorrectSearchEnginesWrong30Jan2021.png.38d017ac6123eed8b906fc9f26e93e94.png

STEP 3: While CCleaner is still open, disable both the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension and Amazon search engine at Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox (i.e., highlight and choose the Disable button to change Enabled = Yes to Enabled = No).  Close CCleaner.

1307589177_STEP3CCleanerPortablev5_76_8269DisableMBBrowserGuardandAmazon30Jan2021.png.a84999a5971f0d95b0e80a07ed0c2da7.png

STEP 4: Launch Firefox.

• Expected: Malware Browser Guard should now be disabled (turned off) in Firefox at Tools | Add-ons | Extensions. The Amazon search engine should now be disabled (unchecked) at Tools | Options | Search | Search Shortcuts.
  • Observed: Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension is correctly disabled in Firefox and the Malwarebytes icon has disappeared from the browser toolbar.  The status of the Amazon search engine in Firefox is incorrect - it is still enabled in Firefox after being disabled from within CCleaner in STEP 3.

1062563766_STEP4Firefoxv85MBBrowserGuardDisabledAmazonSearchEnabled30Jan2021.png.9d65ec87c90a42cc43c90bc3fabfcfe4.png

STEP 5:  Close Firefox. Launch CCleaner and go to Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox.

• Expected: The Malware Browser Guard extension disabled in STEP 3 should still show as disabled in CCleaner (Enabled = No).  Amazon and Bing should be the only search engines enabled (Enabled = Yes) since Amazon and Bing are enabled in Firefox as shown in the image for STEP 4.
  • Observed: CCleaner still correctly shows that all browser extensions, including Malwarebytes Browser Guard Extension, are disabled in Firefox.  The status of alternate search engines in CCleaner is incorrect (Enabled = Yes for all alternate search engines, including DuckDuckGo, eBay, Wikipedia, etc.) and the status of the Amazon search engine disabled in STEP 3 has reverted from Enabled = No back to Enabled = Yes.

1032580844_STEP5CCleanerPortablev5_76_8269MBBrowserGuardStillDisabledAllSearchEnabled30Jan2021.png.f5ba7ea1f7362775b2912e9bd15bdc4b.png

CONCLUSION: The CCleaner feature at Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox should be fixed so that the enabled / disabled status of alternate search engines in Firefox are correctly detected and that alternate search engines in Firefox can be correctly enabled / disabled from CCleaner.  Otherwise, CCleaner should be modified so that alternate search engines in Firefox are never listed as browser plugins in CCleaner at Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox so that Firefox users can only manage alternate search engines from within Firefox at Tools | Browser Plugins | Firefox.

Please note that this problem with management of Firefox alternate search engines from within CCleaner was originally reported for CCleaner v5.74 in GeorgeNeilis' 24-Sep-2020 thread Problem with Firefox Plugins.  However, Forum Moderators disagreed whether this problem met the definition of a "bug" (I personally don't know why it wouldn't), and as far as I know the problem was never escalated to an Avast / Piriform employee.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2011.6 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0-1.0.1157 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators

As you note we already went through all this, and nothing has changed.

CCleaner removes them, Firefox puts them back as soon as you launch Firefox.

There is nothing that CCleaner can do about Firefox putting them back.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

As you note we already went through all this, and nothing has changed....

Hi nukecad:

I wasn't expecting your opinion to change.  However, Forum Mod halzelnut agreed with me <here> in GeorgeNelis' thread Sept 2020 Problem With Firefox Plugins that there's no point in having a feature in CCleaner that is supposed to enable / disable Firefox alternate search engines if it doesn't work properly, so I'm hoping one of the Avast / Piriform employees will look at this issue with a fresh set of eyes and tell me if they think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2011.6 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0-1.0.1157 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators

Oh, I agree that there is not much point to it.

I just think it's a very small thing and easily ignored, so I doubt it's very high on anybodys priority list.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043