How to turn off nag to update? [Fixed in 5.77]

mpw101

I have Ccleaner 5.75.8238 (64bit).  Every time I turn it on to clean I get a nag to update.  This used to be turned off.  “update automatically” and “send notification” are both unchecked.  How do I turn off this nag screen?

Screenshot 2021-01-15 105159.jpg

• Moderators

Updating to 5.76 would be the easiest way.

Is there a particular reason why you are avoiding doing that?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Seems like every time I update I loose something I want or gain something I don't want.  I guess now I have lost the ability turn off updates and avoid stuff I don not want.  Is it no longer possible to avoid updates now?

nikki605

Your right.  Procedure went smoothly but did not work.  I even turned off computer and then turned it back on.  I checked the history of the task and it had not run since I disabled it.  But the nag is still there.  My guess is this nag is in the system and I will probably install what it wants.  I am hoping that the next update will be blocked.  Only time will tell.  I hate what Ccleaner has become.  I would get rid of it in a heart beat if there was anything else out there.  Until someone else comes up with a simple program to clear out junk Piriform controls my computer not me.  Sad.

Warning!

Ccleaner  would not let me check for updates and go to Piriform website.  When I clicked "Check for Updates" the nag box came back.  The green pear that used to be in the upper right hand corner has disappeared.  There is no way to get to website and read release notes in advance.   I went ahead and clicked update now.  Piriform dumped the update and rapidly installed it.  I have no idea what else was installed.  There was no place to decline unwanted programs if there were any.  I have no idea what Piriform just dumped into my computer in addition to the update.  Beware.  There is no longer any control over install process.

More info.  After update I checked Ccleaner update task.  It was re-enabled.  I disabled it again.   Will see if it stays that way.

• Moderators

I think this notification issue may be because v5.75/ v5.76 are classed as 'Important Updates', and so are being notified in a different way from regular updates.

Although the 'Important Update' notification facility has been available since 2018 this is the first time it has been used.

Because it's an 'Important update', rather than just a regular product update, it can bypass your usual notification settings and show a notification anyway.

You can read about the difference between 'Regular' updates and 'Important' updates in this article from 2018:
(of course the screenshots there are out of date now).
https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/introducing-new-and-improved-ccleaner-update-settings

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
17 hours ago, nukecad said:

I think this notification issue may be because v5.75/ v5.76 are classed as 'Important Updates'

The "Important Update" is only available for versions from 5.50-5.73.  5.74 and above use the "Automatic Updates" process.  But both have settings for people who want to do their updates manually via the website and/or not receive notifications.  I'll open this up for investigation to check if this is a 5.75 bug re the notifications or a client configuration issue of some sort.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

4 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

The "Important Update" is only available for versions from 5.50-5.73.  5.74 and above use the "Automatic Updates" process.  But both have settings for people who want to do their updates manually via the website and/or not receive notifications.  I'll open this up for investigation to check if this is a 5.75 bug re the notifications or a client configuration issue of some sort.

Thanks Dave. 👍

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mpw101 said:

I am being nagged again to install update.  Same as before.  My settings have not changed.  Nag is pushing v5.77.8448 (18 Feb 2021).

Also here.

CCleaner does not respect its users!
Even unchecking the options, he keeps sending notifications about new versions!

The only way to get rid of this is to uninstall Ccleaner

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to How to turn off nag to update? [Fixed in 5.77]
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Tomas TS said:

The only way to get rid of this is to uninstall Ccleaner

... or to update to 5.77 which has the bugfix.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

• 3 months later...

I use CCleaner Professional and have been receiving nags to resubscribe for the last two months. Plus numerous unsolicited emails. As I have changed my credit card number my subscription will terminate anyway. But what a mess to receive so much trash in my face for a program that works sometimes but not always. I'll be glad to leave it shortly and return to the free version that fills my needs (even if limply).

• Admin

@cchater: This sounds like a different topic to the free update reminders in the thread above. 

There are only two types of emails that are sent by CCleaner: our public newsletter (if you have signed up for it), and service notifications relating to paid subscriptions - ie: renewal reminders which will generally include some form of discount loyalty offer.  Both of these will have an "unsubscribe" link down the bottom of the email if you do longer wish to receive them.

There is also a billing reminder issued by Cleverbridge prior to annual subscription billing taking place.

Note that paid licences include customer support - so while your licence is still active, if you are having difficulties using CCleaner and require assistance, you can contact customer support (support@ccleaner.com) with details and they will be more than happy to help.