How Do I Stop CCleaner Portable v5.76 From Automatically Checking for Updates?

lmacri

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Paidup_User21 said:

UpdateKey=01/01/2020 01:02:03 am which seems harmless = last time it spammed me.

That's been in my CCleaner.ini for ages going back to 2014, oddly the same day 01/01:
UpdateKey=01/01/2014 05:55:24 AM

Edit:
I think it's safe to say we really shouldn't be calling CCleaner Portable a "portable", it's just a Standalone - albeit using the older flavor of it that I use it has never acted in an odd way of not being a "true" portable, but I've got enough experience with "portable" software misbehaving and creating either AppData, ProgramData, or Registry settings which I usually craft a Batch .bat/.cmd and .reg file to deal with.

• Admin
8 hours ago, Paidup_User21 said:

Finally checked ccleaner.ini

Everything you list there is configurable under the Options menu.

CC secretly hides from us:  CookiesToSave [...] 

Not hidden. Configurable under Options > Cookies.  The only thing that this tracks is the "I have already seen this one-time message and I don't need to see it again" flag for some reminder notifications.  If you have deleted some of these then you may find yourself receiving some notifications more frequently than intended. If so, the fix for this is to go to Options > Cookies in the CCleaner console, right click in "Cookies to Keep", select Import and import the cookies.txt attached here.

I do get an EMAIL about once a month, notifying me of an Update

Sounds like you have subscribed to the CCleaner newsletter.  If you no longer wish to receive that you can click "unsubscribe" in the footer of one of those emails.

cookies.txt

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators
13 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi nukecad:

You didn't post an image of the message you saw so I'm not sure what you're seeing,

I didn't screenshot it because it went away before I could, and won't get shown again now that I've seen it once. (Unless I edit the registry entry to ahow it again).
But it was an orange thing in the Windows Notification area bottom right of the desktop so not what you saw/are seeing.

I agree that the check for updates used to go to the webpage rather than updating, and believe it's that change that is the issue here.
In effect they have taken a couple of steps out to make it easier to update CCleaner.
(Sorry it took me a while to realise that those steps had now been removed, I've just run through the whole update process from a portable and can see just what has changed).

I believe from previous discussion that was changed because we used to get complaints here that the update was unintuitive and 'clunky'.
Users would land on the webpage but didn't know that they then had to click the 'No Thanks' to decline a paid version and send them to another webpage, where they could then download/install the Free.
It's those webpage steps that have been removed, and it's certainly a much simpler update process now.

I see that Dave CCleaner has promised to take a look at if that new behavious can be modified for portable/uninstalled setups.

In the meantime it's a case of remembering to disable the Automatic Updates and Reminders then saving that to an INI file on the USB stick so that they stay off, and if you do get an update notification don't accept it or it will install the new version.
(I did note on my machine there was plenty of time to cancel it during the download if you had accepted it by mistake).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
33 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I believe from previous discussion that was changed because we used to get complaints here that the update was unintuitive and 'clunky'.
Users would land on the webpage but didn't know that they then had to click the 'No Thanks' to decline a paid version and send them to another webpage, where they could then download/install the Free.
It's those webpage steps that have been removed, and it's certainly a much simpler update process now.

We used to get complaints everywhere.  Getting rid of that process was by far and away the #1 ask that we had from our customers - after 9+ years of forcing our free users to go through a cumbersome manual update flow, we'd become a bit of a meme in that regard.  We've made a collection of them as a reminder in case we're ever tempted to revert to that kind of thing.

33 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I see that Dave CCleaner has promised to take a look at if that new behavious can be modified for portable/uninstalled setups.

While my mind went first to something complicated with drive type detection, I note that there is a portable.dat in the zip files and we may be able to shape behaviour based on that.  I would imagine that a common scenario for a USB stick of portable fix tools would most likely have it set to read-only, which would stop updates anyway.

On the other hand, we do have a number of third party sites who have been touting the portable installer as a mainstream download, so we'd probably also need to estimate how many active users are likely to fall into that category, so we still have a solution for them as well.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

• Moderators

I don't think drive type detection would work, we know that some use the portable on their system drive rather than installing.

Couldn't you simply check the registry for one (or a few to make sure) of the 'installed' registry entries, and if not found then query if the user wants to install or not?
("You are about to install CCleaner - Click OK to continue").

That would allow for first time installs by new users or existing users with a new machine, whilst warning anyone who is using the portable that if they continue they will get an install.

OK that would also be adding an extra step/click back into the update process, but at least it's a clearly understandable step.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 24/01/2021 at 18:15, Dave CCleaner said:

...We'll take a look at the use case of updates of CCleaner Free on portable media.  In the interim, you may find that unchecking those update boxes and manually downloading ccsetupxxx.zip is the best option for you.  If you suspect that there are many other CCleaner Portable users with a similar requirement, feel free to add your suggestion to https://ideas.ccleaner.com/ to rustle up some public voting.

Hi Dave CCleaner:

Thank you for responding to my concerns about the new built-in software updater in CCleaner Portable.

I'm guessing that it was an oversight on the part of the software developers when they added a built-in software updater to all CCleaner Free products in v5.74 and didn't realize that it would add the Emergency Updater (which isn't included in ccsetup5xx.zip files) to CCleaner Portable, and I'm glad to hear you say that Avast / Piriform might need to take a second look at their use case for the Portable build to see of there's a better approach than a "one size fits all" software updater for the CCleaner Free Standard, Slim and Portable builds.  I've written a few use cases in my time and know that its difficult to think of every possible exception and variation when you're in the design phase, and problems sometimes aren't caught until the end users finally get a chance to start testing the actual interface.

I already created a product suggestion in the CCleaner Suggestions board at Prevent CCleaner Portable Updates From Adding the Emergency Updater on 24-Jan-2021.  Will that get the attention of the software developers or do I need to post at https://ideas.ccleaner.com/ as well?
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v84.0.2 * Windows Defender v4.18.2011.6 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0-1.0.1146 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

I didn't have time, nor was I in the mood to read all the messages here.

I installed CCleaner Portable last version via the PatchMyPC app. Is the new built-in software updater in CCleaner Portable gone now? 
Because when I run CCleaner, it didn't prompt me with any message. 

1 hour ago, Aelson said:

... I installed CCleaner Portable last version via the PatchMyPC app. Is the new built-in software updater in CCleaner Portable gone now? 

Hi Aelson:

What are your current CCleaner settings at Options | Updates?  Even if the option to "Send notifications when there is a new version of CCleaner" is enabled, you aren't going to see the prompt shown below asking you if you want to update since PatchMyPC should have already updated you to the latest v5.76.  The online update check by the new built-in software updater won't detect an available update again until CCleaner v5.77 is eventually released.

1554831950_CCleanerPortablev5_76_8269UpdateSetings30Jan2021.png.f54a5e216123eb0868a3d06fa57eb11c.png

305158422_CCleanerPortablev5_75_8238AutomaticUpdatePrompt14Jan2021.png.c8ddedc5028130873086b0eb02eb069e.png

When PatchMyPC updated your CCleaner Portable did it add the Emergency Updater (i.e., did it add a file called CCUpdate.exe to the same folder where your CCleaner.exe / CCleaner64.exe executables are located, and do you have a scheduled task called CCleaner Update in your Windows Task Scheduler (Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Task Scheduler)?

1824209443_CCleanerPortablev5_76_823869CCUpdateCCleanerUpdateTaskScheduler14Jan2021.thumb.png.8d497a37a741b0f48b9d73f1d2cda82a.png

The new built-in updater added to all CCleaner Free products in v5.74 isn't the real problem, since it works as expected for installed (Standard/Slim) builds of CCleaner (i.e., it's normal for the Emergency Updater to be bundled inside installers for the installed versions of CCleaner).  The problem is that this new built-in software updater has glitch that adds the Emergency Updater (CCupdate.exe and the scheduled CCleaner Update task) when it updates CCleaner Portable, which it shouldn't do.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2011.6 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0-1.0.1157 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Aelson said:

I didn't have time, nor was I in the mood to read all the messages here.

I installed CCleaner Portable last version via the PatchMyPC app. Is the new built-in software updater in CCleaner Portable gone now? 

@AelsonDo you realy want/need the Portable (uninstalled) version?
As you got it through a 3rd party app then I'm not sure.
Unless you are a computer technician or an advanced user then the standard installed CCleaner is probably better for you.

To answer your questions:

The new automatic software updater is still there in the Portable.
If you do want it to remain portable then be sure to go to Options>Updates and disable (untick) 'Keep CCleaner updated automatically' to stop Portable updating and so installing automatically.

You won't see any notification of a new version unless/until there is one available.
You can also disable (untick) 'Send notifications ...' if you don't want to see those.
If you leave notifications on then when you get one DON'T click on 'Update Now' if you want to stay portable.

The thing to remember is: DON'T UPDATE FROM WITHIN CCleaner Portable. If you do it WILL install CCleaner.
(That has always been the case, even before the new updater).

If/when a new CCleaner version is available and you want the new Portable then go to the CCleaner builds page and download the Portable zip file.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Unzip that file wherever you want the Portable CCleaner to be located (not installed).

PS. This is one reason that CCleaner Portable is for Advanced users - it can't be 'updated' like the standard product can, instead of 'updating' you have to manually download and unzip each new version.

2 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Aelson:

What are your current CCleaner settings at Options | Updates?  Even if the option to "Send notifications when there is a new version of CCleaner" is enabled, you aren't going to see the prompt shown below asking you if you want to update since PatchMyPC should have already updated you to the latest v5.76.  The online update check by the new built-in software updater won't detect an available update again until CCleaner v5.77 is eventually released.

1554831950_CCleanerPortablev5_76_8269UpdateSetings30Jan2021.png.f54a5e216123eb0868a3d06fa57eb11c.png

305158422_CCleanerPortablev5_75_8238AutomaticUpdatePrompt14Jan2021.png.c8ddedc5028130873086b0eb02eb069e.png

When PatchMyPC updated your CCleaner Portable did it add the Emergency Updater (i.e., did it add a file called CCUpdate.exe to the same folder where your CCleaner.exe / CCleaner64.exe executables are located, and do you have a scheduled task called CCleaner Update in your Windows Task Scheduler (Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Task Scheduler)?

1824209443_CCleanerPortablev5_76_823869CCUpdateCCleanerUpdateTaskScheduler14Jan2021.thumb.png.8d497a37a741b0f48b9d73f1d2cda82a.png

The new built-in updater added to all CCleaner Free products in v5.74 isn't the real problem, since it works as expected for installed (Standard/Slim) builds of CCleaner (i.e., it's normal for the Emergency Updater to be bundled inside installers for the installed versions of CCleaner).  The problem is that this new built-in software updater has glitch that adds the Emergency Updater (CCupdate.exe and the scheduled CCleaner Update task) when it updates CCleaner Portable, which it shouldn't do.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2011.6 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0-1.0.1157 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269

image.png.56783d400131f3695bcc123ebe676839.png

image.png.2cae8246c20b89dfff695e0c647a713a.png

Task Scheduler:

No, I don't see CCleaner Update in my Windows Task Scheduler.

• Moderators

Fine,

As long as you remember to turn off Automatic Updates each time you unzip a new portable, and don't update from within the portable, then it won't install.

• Moderators

A true portable should only prompt that there's an Update available, and if the user clicks to Update it should then open the appropriate download page to allow the user to manually download the "portable" version.

A "portable" software that downloads and installs an installation version is NOT portable!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI that I launched CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269  today from my removable USB thumb drive and immediately received a CCleaner Product Update pop-up notification asking me to update to v5.77.8448.

1938011497_CCleanerv5_76AutomaticUpdateDetectedforv5_7718Feb2021.png.4b528b34d8f657013d71f4bf421dfb66.png

I clicked Remind Me Later this time and confirmed that all options at at  Options | Updates | Control Product Updates For CCleaner (including "Send notifications when there is a new version of CCleaner") are disabled .

1151731009_CCleanerv5_76UpdateSettingsAllDisabled18Feb2021.png.522b9346265f1bbc385e5cf881bc5cd6.png

If I click the "Check for Updates" link in the bottom-right corner of the user interface it just shows the same CCleaner Product Update pop-up notification shown above.  Nothing seems to have changed since I started this thread on 14-Jan-2021, so I assume if I had clicked the "Update Now" button today that the updater would have incorrectly added the Emergency Updater (i.e, by adding the CCUpdate.exe file to my removable USB stick and creating the CCleaner Update task in Task Scheduler) when it updated CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe to v5.77.8448.

I unzipped the latest ccsetup577.zip for CCleaner Portable v5.77.8448 from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds and confirmed that CCUpdate.exe is not included.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.2 * Windows Defender v4.18.2101.9 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0.98-1.0.1173 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269

28 minutes ago, Aelson said:

Today a new version is out:  v5.77.8448 (18 Feb 2021)

Is this fixed for the portable version? Thanks. 

Hi Aelson:

The change log for v5.77.8448 at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history says in part "Fixed a rare bug where Update Notifications would be shown when they shouldn’t" but I won't be able to test if this stops the appearance of the pop-up notification shown below in v5.77 when all options at Options | Updates | Control Product Updates For CCleaner are disabled until v5.78 is released at some point in the future.

2089260297_CCleanerv5_76AutomaticUpdateDetectedforv5_7718Feb2021.png.3cb52499b99262143025325737302e49.png

I haven't heard anything further from Avast / Piriform so I have to assume that clicking "Update Now" in the above pop-up would have incorrectly installed the unwanted Emergency Updater (i.e., CCUpdate.exe plus the CCleaner Update task in Task Scheduler) to CCleaner Portable .  Until I hear back from Avast / Piriform I'm not going to test myself - I'll just do what I've done in the past and unzip the latest ccsetup577.zip for CCleaner Portable v5.77.8448 from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds to get the latest versions of CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.746 * Firefox v85.0.2 * Windows Defender v4.18.2101.9 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0.98-1.0.1173 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.76.8269

• Admin
14 minutes ago, lmacri said:

The change log for v5.77.8448 at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history says in part "Fixed a rare bug where Update Notifications would be shown when they shouldn’t" but I won't be able to test if this stops the appearance of the pop-up notification shown below in v5.77 when all options at Options | Updates | Control Product Updates For CCleaner are disabled until v5.78 is released at some point in the future.

Indeed.  Can't retrospectively bugfix the older versions 🙂

15 minutes ago, lmacri said:

I haven't heard anything further from Avast / Piriform so I have to assume that clicking "Update Now" in the above pop-up would have incorrectly installed the unwanted Emergency Updater (i.e., CCUpdate.exe plus the CCleaner Update task in Task Scheduler) to CCleaner Portable .  Until I hear back from Avast / Piriform I'm not going to test myself - I'll just do what I've done in the past and unzip the latest ccsetup577.zip for CCleaner Portable v5.77.8448 from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds to get the latest versions of CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe.

Also correct.  As mentioned previously, there's few things to unpick around how we might best approach this, so the best solution for portable users would be, as you say, to switch off the automatic updates and stick with your previous practice of manual downloads.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2021 at 13:46, lmacri said:

Hi Aelson:

The change log for v5.77.8448 at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history says in part "Fixed a rare bug where Update Notifications would be shown when they shouldn’t" but I won't be able to test if this stops the appearance of the pop-up notification shown below in v5.77 when all options at Options | Updates | Control Product Updates For CCleaner are disabled until v5.78 is released at some point in the future...

Finally some good news to report.  It appears the bug fix in CCleaner v5.77.8448 (rel. 18-Feb-2021) that "Fixed a rare bug where Update Notifications would be shown when they shouldn't" worked for my CCleaner Portable.  All settings at Option | Updates | Control Product Updates for CCleaner are still disabled ...

1074190771_CCleanerv5_77_8448AutomaticUpdatesDisabled05Mar2021.png.80eea19f4c2c9b365ad8f0e29676b10d.png

... and when I launched CCleaner Portable v5.77.8448 today I didn't automatically see the pop-up nagging me to update.  I clicked the "Check for Updates" in the bottom-right corner of the interface link to manually check for an update and only then did I see the pop-up notifying me that minor update v5.77.8521 (rel. 04-Mar-2021) was available.

517646373_CCleanerv5_77_8448CheckForUpdatesNewVersionAvailable05Mar2021.png.300a72799e279640ca3b295daa07b15d.png

The bad news it that the pop-up still prompts me begin installation of the update.  I assume that clicking "Update Now" would have incorrectly installed the Emergency Updater (i.e., CCUpdate.exe plus the CCleaner Update task in Task Scheduler) to CCleaner Portable so I clicked "Remind Me Later" and manually downloaded the new ccsetup577.zip file from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds to get the latest versions of CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.804 * Firefox v86.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2101.9 * Malwarebytes Free v4.3.0.98-1.0.1173 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.77.8521