Smart Browser Cleaning Leaves Much Junk Behind

Carbonite

To start with hello all:

I've used CCleaner from the very beginning but on Pro I use decided to try Smart Cleaning (automatic browser cleaning) - I have everything on my browser (all nine check boxes) to clean including all cookies & set to clean on exit without notification but I see the CCleaner icon flash on exit - However if I run a health check straight after without opening my browser there are several trackers & several meg of browser junk left, if I run Heath Check or standard clean all is well. Don't seem much point at this time in enabling Smart clean? Windows 10, 20H2, Ryzen 3, 32 GIG DDR 4 Ram - No other issues - Any advise please :-)

• Moderators

Smart Cleaning uses the options you have set for Custom Clean, which are different from the Health Check cleaning settings.

TBH though I suspect that what you are seeing with Health Check is simply the files and cookies that are not related to your browser, as well as the files that always come back automatically after any cleaning.

You can find an explanation of what those files are (and why it sometimes looks like you have cleaned them but they'll be back soon) here:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi: yes I do realise many temp & other files are regenerated immediately almost - Custom Clean has everything checked - The difference is if I exit the Browser (Brave) & do a manual clean using Heath Check, with Smart disabled then check again after just about all is gone - If I do the same with Smart Cleaner & do the identical check afterward there are several meg of browser junk & trackers left - Identical situation one done manually the other Smart? I suspect Smart Cleaning doesn't do quite the same amount as manual, it also takes half as long too - Not a big issue at all, used CCleaner since day one & yet to find anything as good. I just wondered if other members had similar results to me?

Thank you ! Paul

• Moderators

As far as I am aware Brave browser deletes it's cookies by default.

Which suggest that the cookies, and temporary files that Health Check is finding are from somewhere else and not from Brave browser.

Smart Cleaner browser cleaning is only looking to clean the Brave browser if that is what you have ticked in browser cleaning, (which has already cleaned itself anyway).
Only the browser you have just closed, not those cookies, etc from elsewhere that Health Check is finding after the browser has been closed/cleaned.

The extra stuff that Health Check is then finding is probably from Edge or Internet Explorer temporary storage.
You may say that you never use those browsers, but Windows itself uses their storage, as do many Microsoft applications, even if you never open those browsers.

Again, what Health Check is finding is not related to Brave, it's other stuff.

You could check that by not running Health Check and instead opening Custom Clean.
Right click in turn on each entry under Edge and Internet Explorer and select analyze to see what is found.
There are always 'Temporary internet files' and often 'Cookies' found for IE, and usually something in Edge/Edge Chrome as well.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

IE /New & Old Edge are removed totally & fully, leaving only Brave, as I remember default cleaning on exit isn't everything though I have it set that way, Brave - The slight issue is even with all delete on exit it does leave some dross behind depending on how long your session was/data accumulated/where Jupiter is as apposed to Saturn? Hence hence my even using CCleaner - Anyway, thanks for the input as I contribute to other forums I do understand the time & effort put in to answering my question, & as I've only recently used Smart Cleaning I felt this was the place to ask - Thanks all & much appreciated & lots made sense! Stay safe you all! Paul

Cannot fault you interest being Beer or living in my favourite part of world The lakes 🙂

Edited by Carbonite

• Moderators

You can't fully uninstall Edge/IE, they are integrated into Windows and Windows will not work properly without them.

Even something as basic as the search on File Explorer uses Bing (via Edge) these days.

As I said above may other apps use IE's storage space for temporary files, even though these are not generated by IE because they are in IEs temporary storage locations CCleaner sees them as belonging to IE,
Other apps such as Skype, Windows Media Player, Live Tiles on the start menu, etc., etc.use Edge/IE storage locations when they need to store temporary files. It's just somewhere convienient to put them.

Again you can see that by using Custom Clean to analyze Internet explorer- there will always be files in Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files, files that haven't come from IE.
(At least one of them comes from CCleaner itself everytime you open it).

It's a bit chilly up here in Cumbria at the moment with snow on the fells but we're not supposed to be leaving the house anyway; and somebody shut all the pubs so we have to drink our beer alone.

• Moderators

Just for interest I did a Custom Clean analyze of Internet Explorer Temporary internet Files. (Of course I haven't been using IE or any app that I know uses IE storage locations).
It found the following 8 entries to clean:
image.png
Checking the individual files all 8 were put there by CCleaner itself.

Usually with CCleaner Pro I only see 2 of them, if I bother to look:
image.png
But on this occasion I had also just run the Portable Free version of CCleaner which is where the other 6 came from, because I hadn't bothered to turn off data sharing or automatic updates in the Portable.

The files themselves contain information about the CC version number, settings configuration, whether its the Free or the Pro or a trial, etc.
So everytime that you open CCleaner it is putting at least a couple of files in IE's temporary storage locations, (more if you've opted to share usage data, automatic updates, etc.), and then deleting them again when you actualy run CCleaner.

Other apps do the same, but don't clean up after themselves like CCleaner does.

Interesting! Thanks for spending time researching that, I'm continuing to use Smart Cleaning on this Desk PC, my laptop that has New Edge on & my other half's Lappy that has New Edge too - I do take your points on board & again thanks !