Ccleaner has changed my right click context menu, leaving blank lines

Mabel

I run Ccleaner every few months and it has always been successful in clearing out dross and making my Windows 10 laptop run better until this last time. Suddenly, when I right mouse pad click on a Tab the context menu is almost empty. I went into mouse settings and changed some settings and that has restored the menu when I right click on a Tab but not in other websites like Youtube.  When I click in some websites the only items showing are Take a Screenshot and Translation options.  Can anybody tell me how to restore the menu to the one I had before I used Ccleaner.

I backed up the Registry when it was suggested and I can restore it if that will solve the problem. I don't want to try it as I may make things worse so would be glad of help from someone who knows more than me. I just use the thing.

Acer Aspire Windows 10 laptop

• Moderators

Which Browser (tabs) are you talking about here?

Just for further info:
Which Windows 10 version are you using?
Are you running an Antivirus other than Windows Defender?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

Which Browser (tabs) are you talking about here?

Just for further info:
Which Windows 10 version are you using?
Are you running an Antivirus other than Windows Defender?

Hi, thanks for replying.

Windows version 2004  OS Build 19041.685   The browser was Firefox and the tab was one of several that opened in Firefox after using Ccleaner. When I tried to reload the first tab I noticed the missing menu items on the right click menu. That was the first actiobn after running CCleaner.

I'm not using any antivirus software except Windows Defender. 

When I right click in this message I can only see 3 menu items:  Check spelling, Languages and Translate.  When I highlight some text and right click there are a couple of additional choices, Screenshot, Search Google (for whatever text is highlighted). 

• Moderators

I don't see anything like those choices in the standard Firefox Tab context menu; are you running an add-on/extension that is giving you those choices?
If you are then I suggest removing the add-on and re-loading it.

My Firefox (v84.0.2) shows the following for the right-click Tab context menus:

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

The menu you show is the one I had when I clicked a Tab before using Ccleaner.  I have a couple of translate Add-ons but they don't appear in the right click menu from a Tab. I access them from the address line together with Adblockplus and Email this page.  The last two don't appear on the right click menu.

You didn't mention the backup of the Registry. Would reverting to that solve the problem or create more.

• Moderators

I can confirm "Search Google, or whatever search engine is set to the default," and "Take Screenshot" being there since I have those.

Restoring a registry backup is unlikely to fix Firefox since it uses its own database for its settings. You may be able to get those Firefox settings back to the way you like them by making changes in its Tools > Options.

• Moderators

Mmm, I can see the screenshot, mail, etc. in the Page actions similiar to this link, but not on the tab context menus.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-screenshots
No doubt it's just a difference in our settings.

I'm also not sure that restoring the removed registry entries would fix it, but you could give it a try it shouldn't harm anything.
PS. Don't look at the first entry found on Google for restoring the registry entries that CCleaner has removed - that's for CCleaner networks version and not for home users.
For home users its much simpler: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/faq/using/how-do-i-restore-registry-backups

TBH we always advise against running the registry cleaner with Windows 10; here's what Microsoft have to say about it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Restoring the registry entries may put things back, but TBH I suspect that you may have to refresh your Firefox to get things back to normal.
It's a bit drastic as it will remove your add-ons and reset settings to default, but sometimes it's the best you can do.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Perhaps there should be a warning about the Registry in Windows 10. I thought I was protected when I backed it up when CC suggested it.

I was always warned not to mess with the registry unless I knew what I was doing. I should have taken note. 

I'm going to refresh Firefox and hope that sorts the problem.  I can the add on any extensions I need. I have used CC for years and this is the first time I have had any problem.

Edit:  I have refreshed Firefox and the menu is back to normal. I now have to change settings and add on extensions. At least I know what I'm doing and have learned a lesson about 'messing with the registry'.

Edited by Mabel
Update.

On 11/01/2021 at 01:08, Andavari said:

I can confirm "Search Google, or whatever search engine is set to the default," and "Take Screenshot" being there since I have those.

Restoring a registry backup is unlikely to fix Firefox since it uses its own database for its settings. You may be able to get those Firefox settings back to the way you like them by making changes in its Tools > Options.

Thank you. I have refreshed Firefox and will set it up again to my requirements,  Note to self: don't mess with the registry.

Edited by Mabel

• Moderators

Years ago I was used to Firefox damaging my profile in it after allot of the auto-updates it would install, which is why I switched to Firefox Portable and also why I now make a regular backup copy (ZIP archive) of my Firefox profile.

• Moderators

Good to hear you have got Firefox back on track.

Registry cleaners can still be useful tools in the right circumstances, but they are a 'repair' tool to try and help fix errors, and so shouldn't be run as a regular thing.
They need to be used carefully and are realy intended for advanced users.
Whilst CCleaners Reg cleaner is one of the gentler ones it can, and does, still cause problems and break things if used unnecessarily, especially with Windows 10 which is always changing the registry at least each month.

One of the problems is that CCleaner used to be a tool mainly for advanced users and technicians but now it has become a cleaning tool for everyone, techies or not.
The developers have promised they will make CCleaner's Reg Cleaner less prominient so less tempting for non-advanced users, by moving it into the Advanced tools - but they haven't got around to doing it yet.

• Moderators

Reverting registry changes using backup .REG files isn't always successful and simply restarting the computer can make them useless especially with things like even slight hardware changes that happen.

Windows 10 back in April 2018 turned off the making of automatic registry backups, I manually re-enabled it because who knows if/when it could save me a bunch of headaches. Here's how to manually re-enable it (note that it's probably considered a power-user or advanced method since it details manually editing the registry itself):
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-turn-on-automatic-registry-file-backup-in-windows-10/

• Moderators

I am waiting for the day when cleaning the Registry is removed from view in CCleaner.

It just causes too many problems.

Users think because it's on the main page of the CCleaner user interface that it is safe to use and it's part of the Cleaning routine.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

From once I gave up on finding a solution to the problem caused by Ccleaner and looked to my browser I was ok.

I have used Ccleaner every few months for years and this was the first time I experienced a problem. I was lulled by the suggestion that I back up the registry before proceeding as I thought I could revert to the old registry without doing any harm.

On 13/01/2021 at 05:35, Andavari said:

Reverting registry changes using backup .REG files isn't always successful and simply restarting the computer can make them useless especially with things like even slight hardware changes that happen.

Windows 10 back in April 2018 turned off the making of automatic registry backups, I manually re-enabled it because who knows if/when it could save me a bunch of headaches. Here's how to manually re-enable it (note that it's probably considered a power-user or advanced method since it details manually editing the registry itself):
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-turn-on-automatic-registry-file-backup-in-windows-10/

I'm now reverting to my previously adopted motto. Don't mess with the registry unless you know what you are doing.

The Registry cleaner is for advance users. This I believe. You have to have an understanding of the registry and what it does before you do anything to it.
The registries primary function is to tell the applications where something is that it needs and the settings it needs to load.
That said when you run registry scanner it will show which registry entries will be removed or changed and you have a choice of which ones you want to delete.
Now with every windows update, application removal, application update, windows repair and any use of a security application such as virus scanners will alter the registry or leave things that are no longer used.
When an application is removed windows does not always remove the registry entries. This causes the size of the registry to increase and that causes the computer to slow down some. 
Then you have entries that are added from updates. These updates add new registry entries but leave the old ones sometimes and this will cause flaky operation sometimes because the old entry is used and can not load the application correctly. 
Below is a picture of what was returned from a scan of my registry as you can see it only returned one item. This is because I will run this at least once a week. This keeps the registry cleaned out. But that does not mean I will never have a problem with an application because of the registry. What I do if that happens is to do a uninstall of that application and then run registry scanner and clean registry before reinstalling the application.
This shows an issue Win7UI.exe. For some reason most likely an update removed it or moved Win7UI to a new location.
Now if that application can not open something that is needed using this registry entry then this registry entry is wrong and should be removed.

image.thumb.png.60832a84aa885a8b1a0e2eb5ff582884.png

Removing this entry will not cause any problems that you don't already have. Another words if you already have a problem with an app this will not do anything to help with that app but it will remove the entry that if you reinstall the app might cause problems.
As to backing up the registry I do save the back up but not to reinstall it but to open and view it to see the difference in an old setting and a new one if I am having some problem. If I have a problem that I have to revert back to a previous time then I will use the the restore function built into windows.

• Moderators

As said above:

On 11/01/2021 at 02:51, nukecad said:

we always advise against running the registry cleaner with Windows 10; here's what Microsoft have to say about it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

PS. 'Win7UI.exe' is the Atheros Bluetooth System Tray icon and settings App, the registry entry is there just in case it is installed.
The unused registry entry being there makes no difference to how your computer runs. If you remove it Windows will probably put it back later in an update.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/peculiar-finding-in-ccleaner/8fae2270-3050-48e3-92e0-00a79bf368cb