Check for updates

RichLW

I have been a registered user of CCleaner for years.  Recently I have been having a problem when I check for updates.  I am currently using V5.74.8198 (64 bit).  When I cleck 'check for updates'  nothing happens - CCleaner just freezes and I end up having to use the Task Manager to close down the program.  Is there a problem that can be fixed?  Also I am having the ongoing problem with 'healther check' freezing.  This according to google seems to be an ongoing issue.

Thanks,

Rich

• Moderators

Try downloading the 'Slim' installer from here (it's the 3rd one down):  https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Once it has downloaded check that CCleaner is not running in the background (close it in task manager if it is) and then double click ' ccsetup575_slim.exe' (it should be in your 'Downloads' folder) to install the latest version.

Let us know how you get on with that.

For info, just in case, what Windows version do you have and which Antivirus are you running?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Health Check's Privacy and Space functions are 'stand alone', however the Speed and Security functions do need to connect over the web to check databases.

Obviously the Check for Updates also needs to make a connection.

The fact that both Health Check and Check for Updates are hanging for you is probably related to those connection being blocked.
If that is the problem the the Slim installer should download/run without any problem.

I'd try using Tools>Software Updater and/or Tools>Startup (those are the equivalents of HC's Speed and Security) to see if they also freeze/hang.

If they do then it's probably a sign that Kaspersky (or some other security measure you have) is blocking the connections.
In which case make sure that Kaspersky is up to date, or make CCleaner an exception in Kaspersky.

PS. I'd check the website for the latest Kaspersky version, sometimes an AV will say it's up to date but there will actually be a later version on the website.
(There was an issue with Trend Micro doing that earlier this year, TM 2019 would say it was up to date but block CCleaner, when users went to the website and updated to TM 2020 for free the problem went away).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I downloaded slim as you instructed.  Found it in my downloads file as you said, and double clicked it.  It said it was unpacking, but that's it - nothing, no update.  Tried four times with unpacking note, still nothing.  I'll check Kaspersky as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Rich

• Moderators

One thing I'm not sure of there is your mention of "Unpacking'' - did it actually say that word?

There is no need to 'unpack' the Slim installer; it just runs and installs CCleaner.

Did you download the Slim installer, "ccsetup575_slim.exe", or did you accidently download CCleaner Portable version "ccsetup575.zip".

The Portable is a compressed (zip) file and so would 'unpack', (if Win 10 is set to automaitcally do that rather than displaying the contents in File Explorer), but because it's a Portable version it will not install anything  (it isn't meant to, it's a special stand alone version of CCleaner for advanced users/computer technicians) and so it wouldn't change the CCleaner that is already installed.

image.png