Cleaner 5.74.8198 Runs 'Smart Cleaning' Even Though I Unchecked 'Smart Cleaning'

JamesJ

I unchecked smart cleaning but I see CCleaner stil starts at startup even though I have 'Smart Cleaning' unchecked.

This requires me to go inta the Windows Registry and delete the 'Run' line.

Any ideas why this is happening??

James

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @JamesJ This problem should be resolved in v5.74.8198 of CCleaner; to install this version, simply click on the "Check for updates..." link located on the bottom-right corner of the program.

If the problem persists in v5.74.8198, you may need to disable the "Keep CCleaner updated automatically" option, in addition to disabling Smart Cleaning-

1. Open CCleaner > click Options > Updates
  2. Uncheck "Keep CCleaner updated automatically"
  3. Click Smart Cleaning > uncheck "Enable Smart Cleaning" > click Yes

• Moderators

Don't edit the registry; use Task Scheduler see below.

I've done some testing and eventually managed to reproduce this problem, (It took me about 10 tries to reproduce it).
It looks as if for some reason the scheduled update task is still occasionally, but not always, being created by turning on Smart Cleaning (which it shouldn't be) - and then not being removed if Smart Cleaning is turned off again. (which is right, the update task shouldn't be removed by turning Smart Cleaning off).

This is what I did to fix it:

Turn off Smart Cleaning and "Keep CCleaner updated automatically", close CCleaner and then open Task Scheduler.
Look in Task Scheduler Library and if there is still a 'CCleaner Update' task then delete it.

For those not familiar/comfortable with Task Scheduler then if you are having this problem this sequence should do the same thing (but I've not been able to test it).
Open CCleaner and turn on "Keep CCleaner updated automatically", close CCleaner, reopen CCleaner and turn off "Keep CCleaner updated automatically", close CCleaner again and that should have killed the scheduled task.
(The closing and reopening between changing the setting is important).

I've not been able to test/verify that second method because once I'd used the the Task Scheduler method I can't get the problem to come back again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

It didn't work.

Ccleaner added it back to the .Task Scheduler Library.'
And of course, Ccleaner added to the 'Run' line.

Trying now to find a way to reinstall the earlier version.

Also, I keep havin to to reset my password for this forum. That's getting to be a pain, also.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JamesJ said:

Problem is you can't delete the entry form Task Manager.

I'll have to upgrade to the newer version. I restored an image with an earlier version of Ccleaner.

1. I said delete it from Task Scheduler, not Task Manager.
  2. 'upgrade to the newer version'?? The thread title says you were already on the latest version (v5.74.8198), if instead you are actually using v5.74.8184 then the above fix won't work. (and the update will be 'added back' as you describe).

Can you give us screenshots on both your Smart Cleaner page and Update page? (include the header with the CCleaner version).

You shouldn't be having to reset your password for the forum - do you actually mean change it to a different password (reset it) or do you simply mean type it in again?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

2 hours ago, JamesJ said:

It didn't work.

Ccleaner added it back to the .Task Scheduler Library.'
And of course, Ccleaner added to the 'Run' line.

Trying now to find a way to reinstall the earlier version.

Also, I keep havin to to reset my password for this forum. That's getting to be a pain, also.

• Moderators

Thank you Jamesj, but that's just a repeat of what you posted before.

Please re- read my last post and reply with the screenshots and the answer to the question - "do you actually mean change it to a different password (reset it) or do you simply mean type it in again?".

I was making the point that I deleted from Task Scheduler Library not Task Manager.
I reset my password yesterday but it would accept my password today. So I reset it (forgot password).

I'm also unable to turn off italic if you were wondering

• Moderators

OK, do the following in this exact order:

1. Open CCleaner and completely turn off Smart Cleaning (untick everything there) and then in Updates untick "Keep CCleaner updated automatically".
  2. Close CCleaner.
  3. Check Task Manager to see if CCleaner is still running in the background; if it is then kill the task.
  4. Now go to Task Scheduler and if "CCleaner Update" is still there delete it.
  5. Close everything and Restart your machine. (Restart not Shutdown/reboot).

Tell us if the CCleaner icon still comes back in the System Tray now.

v5.47.8198.

Seems to be ok now.
After unticking the items Ccleaner was no longer in the Startup tab and I didn't find it anywhere in 
Processes.
Restarted and seems to have stuck.
I probably didn't do it properly the last time.

Thanks to all for the assistance,
James

• Moderators

Good to hear that following those steps worked for you.

Let us know if the problem comes back, but it shouldn't do now.

Your  issue with your forum password is a different matter, if you are still having problems with that then I suggest you start a new thread/topic in 'The Lounge': https://community.ccleaner.com/forum/7-the-lounge/

Starting a new thread will enable focus just to be on the password issue.