Version 5.74 Application error

geraldr

CCleaner 5.74 Application error (see attached screen shots) There were too many memory dump to post.

I uninstalled 5.74. Downloaded a clean copy reinstalled it and got the same problem.

Also 5.74 gives an error trying copy and paste the serial number for registering ccleaner.

Found an older version and will be using it  until there is a fix.

I have been unable to block the update message. I renaming the updater to see that works.

cclearner_error_2020-11-11_130000.png

What version of ccleaner does NOT check for updates?

I have set unticked all updates (see screenshot) and I have deleted the updater from the ccleaner folder.

I am still getting the updater screen (screenshot) on version 5.55.

I don't want update by accident to version 5.74

Is there a way to stop the updater?

ccleaner updates off 2020-11-11_183555.png

2020-11-11_184631.png

• Moderators

You seem to have 3 different issues there, let's address them one at once:

All versions, (except the portable), will check for updates when you open CCleaner, unless you are not connected to the internet.

It won't update automatically though unless you have the "Apply these updates automatically" options selected.

As you can see in your screenshot there are two tick-buttons, one for Important Updates and one for the regular (monthly) Product Updates.

As far as I remember this is the first one to be deemed an Important Update.

For the Product Updates you can untick "Show me notifications for these updates" and you will not be shown that notification.

HOWEVER - v5.74 has currently been deemed an Important Update, and whilst it still has that Important status you will be shown the notification for it; That's the point of having different levels of Update.
If you don't install v5.74 you will continue to get that notification until the update is no longer flagged as Important.

(There is also a third, seperate, method for Emergency Updates, that is for critical security measures only so there is no option to delay them. That was introduced 3 years ago and has not had to be used yet).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Application error that some users are seeing is under investigation. (But see below).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The licence not being accepted issue may be one of a couple of things.
What/which error message is being shown?
Check the information here for common problems, it's usually a typing error, a copy/paste including whitespace, or apermissions problem:  https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/204043844-How-to-register-and-activate-CCleaner-Professional

There is a slight possibility that the licence key issue and the Application error may be connected. (We have had one other report of this from before v5.47).
Can you sucessfully register the licence in older versions? or are you only being shown this licence error with v5.74?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note - v5.74 has a quick bugfix update and is now at v5.74.8198; you may want to try that new version if it wasn't the one you already installed.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner
20 hours ago, geraldr said:

CCleaner 5.74 Application error (see attached screen shots) There were too many memory dump to post.

I uninstalled 5.74. Downloaded a clean copy reinstalled it and got the same problem.

Also 5.74 gives an error trying copy and paste the serial number for registering ccleaner.

Found an older version and will be using it  until there is a fix.

I have been unable to block the update message. I renaming the updater to see that works.

cclearner_error_2020-11-11_130000.png

Hi geraldr,

I'm sorry for the difficulties. Can you tell us when you were getting the application error, this part seems a bit unclear and it will help us to diagnose the problem.

I can copy and paste the serial into older versions of ccleaner and register ccleaner, just not the current version.

The current version the me that the serial number is invalid.

I get the the Application error by running ccleaner, look at the screenshot, that is the error.

How do I stop the older versions of ccleaner from trying to update?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, geraldr said:

How do I stop the older versions of ccleaner from trying to update?

Simply click on "Remind me later" or the red 'X' to dismiss that notification.

But as I said above - it will keep popping up until either you update to 5.74, or until Piriform downgrade the update status from 'Important Update' to 'Product Update'.

The current version the me that the serial number is invalid.

You will need to contact support to resolve licencing issues; it's not something that we can do on the open forum. (For security/privacy we can't see licence information here).
You should email them at: support@ccleaner.com

If possible send your request from the same email address that you used when registering CCleaner.
(If that's not possible then noting that registered email address in your request, if you can, will make it easier for them to find your account).

You should get an automatic acknowledgement by return email that your request has been received and is in a queue for action, if you can't see one then check your email spam folder.

I get the the Application error by running ccleaner, look at the screenshot, that is the error.

I'll leave Stephen CCleaner to respond on the application error, but what he is asking is when does that happen, - is it as soon as you try to launch CCleaner, or is it later when you try to Ananlyze or Clean, or even later as you close it?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

I can copy and paste the serial into older versions of ccleaner and register ccleaner, just not the current version.

If a serial number is actually valid for old versions then it will also be valid for new versions.  As NukeCad said - the best solution for account-specific issues is to contact support, but I am curious about this one though - feel free to DM me the licence key so I can check it for you.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Admin

I get the the Application error by running ccleaner

This is a fairly generic windows error.  If you could provide a little more detail please that would be most helpful:

• Could you be more specific about when the error message appears?  Is this happening the instant you start CCleaner for the first time after installation?  Before or after the main console window appears?  When you try to access a specific function or perform an operation?
  • When you say that you downloaded a clean copy to reinstall, did you install over your old copy?  Have you tried performing an uninstall of the old copy before installing the new one?
  • Which Windows 10 version and build are you using?  What antivirus software and/or firewall software (and version) are you currently running?
  • Do you have any other custom modifications running, such as a custom ccleaner .ini file or a modified windows hosts file?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes