Gruneichtime

I downloaded the latest version of CCleaner yesterday.  Something has changed.  When I run the program, it now puts up a message and states  "In order to clean your browser it needs to be closed, do you want CCleaner to close your browser ?"  - I clicked NO.  So, it did not clean out the browser junk.  Closing the browser is not an option while I'm working.  I tried clearing it manually, but it still leaves a lot of cache files and junk that slow it down

This is the first time I have ever come across this with the CCleaner, and I have used it for many, many years.   I used to be able to minimize browser, run the cleaner,  restore the browser and be on my way.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled, hoping it was just a glitch, but it is not.....  Any suggestions?  Or are they possibly working on a fix for this?

I'm using the Free Version, on Windows 10, Dell Desktop, everything is up to date.

Also, I was hoping to find the previous version, possibly 5.72.7994, which worked perfectly, but where can I download it from?  Not seeing it anywhere?  It would be a quick fix for now.

Hey!  Thanks for your help in advance!

Talk to you soon.

• Moderators

If you are using Custom Clean (I believe you are from that message text) then in the box that pops up to ask if you want to close the browser there should be a tickbox for 'Do not show this message again'.

Tick that box before you say NO and it should not come up again.
But your browser will not be fully cleaned unless it is fully closed, CCleaner cannot fully clean an open browser or one that has background tasks running.

Alternatively you could go to Options>Advanced and tick 'Hide warning messages' but that will turn off all warnings.

If you are using Health Check the warning cannot be turned off.

Which browser are we talking about here?

Older CCleaner versions:
Filehippo used to be the partner site for CCleaner downloads, but they are no longer partners and the last version they have is 5.68 (and previous versions).

Piriform want you to use the latest CCleaner version because things change with Windows and other software so older CCleaner versions will not be as effective and may even do things that you don't want it to.
For instance CCleaner used to be able to clean Windows Update files and 'Windows Old' files, but doing that with Windows 10 can be a disaster because Win10 still needs some of them for a month or so following an update, so CCleaner now leaves them alone.
Chrome and Firefox are constantly changing where they store things, so older CCleaner versions may not clean them correctly or may even clean the wrong things.
Etc., etc.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Ahh!  Ok, now I see why they made the change.  Thank you for your reply.  I will just have to deal with it I guess.  

To answer your question, the browser is the Avast Secure Browser.  I have been using it for years now and have never had this problem until the latest update for the CCleaner.   I could do as you say and just tick the box to not show the message, but it still wont help in the cleaning of the browser junk until I completely close the browser.  It's just very time consuming to have to stop what your doing, close the browser, run the CCleaner, reopen the browser, sign in again, go to the webpage you need, sign in again, and continue where you left off.  It's a lot of steps that slows everything down. 

Thanks again for your reply.

• Moderators

Unfortunately that's just how it is with computers, if files are open and in use then they cannot be cleaned/deleted.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

It didn't clean them before, it couldn't do and never has been able to.
If you didn't see the warning then you were using Custom Clean and had turned the warning off at sometime in the past.

(I turned it off years ago and never see it in Custom Clean unless I completely uninstall CCleaner and then do a new reinstall).

Again though - You can't turn off that warning for Health Check, you can only turn it off for Custom Clean.

Health Check will show you the 'Browser is open' warning everytime and has done so for as long as it's been around. (Even back when it was called Easy Clean).
image.png

When that warning is turned off in Custom Clean then normally the only indication you see that CCleaner hasn't cleaned the open browser files is if you have it set to show the 'Advanced Report' where it will simply show browser entries for a running browser as 'Skipped'. (It does also show 'skipped' in 'File List' but it's harder to spot there).
It's been like that for years.

image.png