External Hard drive, bigger size than Internal.

D Rojas

Good Morning,

I have installed Recuva professional, to recover files from an external hard drive. Actually, it was an internal hard drive but, i bought a 2.5" Sata Hard drive usb 3.0 Enclosure, to make possible to use the Internal hard drive. This one has a capacity of 1TB, and the current internal of the laptop is 500 GB.

I made the scanning, and after a while, a screen appears saying that the memory is not enough to make the respective recovery.

I am kindly asking through this community to help me how to make the recovery of deleted files in this Internal hard drive please.

I have another external hard drive with enough space (2tb aprox) to make it possible, but Honestly I am not quite literated to execute the appropiated actions in order to do so.

Many many thanks in advance.

D.

• Moderators

I imagine that the total size of deleted files that Recuva has found is reported by Windows as above 1TB - when all the original filesizes of the deleted files it has found are added up.

Obviously in your case the data for some those files is no longer all there though.
(The deleted data that has been overwritten again will not be recoverable).

If the cluster(s) used by a deleted file are then used again by another file, which is then deleted and the clusters used again by another file, which is then deleted and the clusters used again, and so on ..... then those particular clusters will be counted as in use by different deleted files 2, 3, or even more times.

So say for instance Recuva has found a file header in the master file table that says the deleted file was originally 20 MB in size then Recuva will want 20 MB available to recover that file IF it is recoverable.
Which not all of them will be in this case because the original clusters were later overwritten but Recuva won't know that.
(I'm ready to be corrected but I believe that Recuva would try to recover those clusters for each deleted file anyway, hence why it wants the space available for each, but they will no longer have any revelence to the earlier deleted file(s) which will thus be unreadable after recovery).

If it says that the destination drive is not big enough to hold everything it has found if it could recover it all, then you could try changing your scan options to recover in smaller chunks (maybe filetype by filetype, or directory by directory?) rather than all at once.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043