CCleaner removed less storage then it said

Joee

• Moderators

40 GB would be a hell of a lot of junk; (the whole Windows 10 operating system isn't that big - some hard drives aren't that big).

40 MB would be more usual if you hadn't run CCleaner for a while, or if it was the first time you ran CCleaner.

Can you tell us exactly what you did? (Step by step).
ie. Did you run Health Check or Custom Clean? Did you run anything else?
Which CCleaner version do you have?
Which Windows version are you using?

There is a known bug where occasionally CCleaner will list items twice, so I suspect that if it did actually show 40 GB it may have been a related false reading.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I use windows 10. I did a custom clean, cleared everything except for cookies and passwords on my browser of choice. 

I do lots of modding for garys mod (video game if you dont know) and it took a while just on garys mod files, so the number made sense to me. 

Is there any way to check past scans to see what it deleted or what it should have deleted?

• Moderators

Not really unless you ran CCleaner in Debug mode, and even then it won't tell you what was deleted just how long it took for each section.

Fair enough if you are doing stuff like that there may be quite a lot of junk to clean and I'm not sure why the volume got reported wrongly.

Like I say it may be something to do with that occasional double listing glitch which seem to be being difficult to track down, or maybe just not a priority?

PS. Your choice of username (and your email address) has caused some discussion between the moderators here.
We know where it originates - but it was very close to being banned as inappropriate for this forum.
The Piriform staff may still take action, they trust us as moderators but it only take one person who has mod/admin permissions to decide otherwise and click the ban button.
You might want to think about that in future.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043