Duplicate Finder takes multiple passes on same folder to find all duplicates

MikeDW

I have a folder which contains a multiple backups of misc files - pictures, videos and songs.

I want to remove duplicates so I only have one set of unique files, then I can sift through the remnants and delete what I don't want, thus avoiding possibly deleting the same file multiple times. (Yes, it's cleanup time.)

Without changing the parameters (which include only a path, and comparing based on size and content) I start a search, then delete all but one of each file, verifying that all files meant to be deleted are deleted by checking the folders and watching for the CCleaner notification "The selected files have been successfully deleted.".

Then I hit the back button and initiate another search, whereupon CCleaner finds more duplicate files, but not any of the previously deleted ones!

I am using v5.72.7994 (64-bit) version of CCleaner Free on Windows 10 v1803 (OS Build 17134.471). Are there limitations on how many files this version can find? Or how many files it can search through? Memory consumption doesn't seem to be extensive, usually below 100 MB.

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you please tell us approximately how many search results are being listed for you each time you start the duplicate finder process ?

Hey Andrei!

I just did another pass, and it found five pairs of duplicates, which I selected and deleted one file from each pair.

Then I clicked the BACK button and initiated the search again. This time it found another five pairs of duplicates, and I again deleted one file from each pair.

Guest MeganCCleaner

To help us investigate further, would you feel comfortable with attaching a copy of your initial and subsequent Duplicate Finder results, using the following steps?

1. Open CCleaner > click Tools > Duplicate Finder > Search
  2. Right-click an entry from the list of results > click "Save to text file..." (Please attach this file)
  3. Place a checkmark next to the duplicate files > click "Delete Selected" > OK > OK
  4. Click on the "Back" button and click "Search" again
  5. Right-click an entry from the list of results > click "Save to text file..." (Please attach this file)

Or, would you feel comfortable with sending these text files to our support team, via email, using support@ccleaner.com?

Guest MeganCCleaner

Thanks for providing the Duplicate Finder results. I initially wondered if the files were being recreated upon their deletion (using different names) but I can see how the "Creation" timestamp for them is 5/2/2017 so they don't seem to refer to newly created files.

Can you send us screenshots displaying the contents of the following folders?

1. D:\#\Home\#Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.module.dudehere.routines\resources\skins\Default\media\progress
  2. D:\#\Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.module.dudehere.routines\resources\skins\Default\media\progress
  3. D:\#\Home\#Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.video.funimationnow\resources\skins\default\media\flagging\progress
  4. D:\#\Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.video.funimationnow\resources\skins\default\media\flagging\progress

Additionally, can you please tell me if you're using some sort of backup utility on your computer, such as ZBackup?

Attached are the screenshots.

I have no backup programs running on the one computer that is exhibiting these issues and these files/screenshots are from.

I have OneDrive installed and watching folders on a different computer where this same issue also happening. (Not sure if this helps or not, just more info.)

Both computers are running Windows 10 2004.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 181736.png

Screenshot 2020-10-16 181759.png

Screenshot 2020-10-16 181835.png

Screenshot 2020-10-16 181917.png

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Thank you for the screenshots provided.

If you run the Duplicate Finder now, does it find a total of 23 duplicated files across the following folders?
D:\#\Home\#Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.module.dudehere.routines\resources\skins\Default\media\progress
D:\#\Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.module.dudehere.routines\resources\skins\Default\media\progress

Or, does it find a different number of duplicate files in these folders?

Additionally, does it find a total of 15 duplicated files, or a different number, across these folders?
D:\#\Home\#Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.video.funimationnow\resources\skins\default\media\flagging\progress
D:\#\Home\zBackups-Kodi\i3-Mike\2017+10+03+before+17.4\addons\script.video.funimationnow\resources\skins\default\media\flagging\progress

Guest johnccleaner

Just out of curiosity, does the same behavior occur with these files if you uncheck D:\#\Home\*.* and check D:\ instead?

How about if a couple of these folders were copied to say. D:\ (or D:\Test\)?

Basically, I find myself wondering if that "#" is what's giving it fits; as that's not a Windows wildcard, so it shouldn't, but that's the only part that seems unusual.

On a related note (as this wouldn't eliminate the "#" character), does the problem persist if you uncheck the "Content" Rule and only match by Size, for instance?

Doing a search after checking "D:\*.*" and unchecking "D:\#\Home\*.*" yields these results:

image.thumb.png.db01432645ee2b412c082e745d9d826f.png

and the continuation of the list:

image.thumb.png.1e29bf8f75da9165f527eaa69ceabe7b.png

After selecting the "64.png" file in the first screenshot and deleting it, then rerunning the search, I get:

image.thumb.png.be9b4ea2f674e2d230ed3e4b641358ac.png

and

image.thumb.png.8dbbb424d9a1239ecf6a1cf17b7dedc9.png

I did not delete any files, but renamed the "D:\#" folder to "D:\A" and started the search again with no other changes.

The results of the four consecutive runs with the *.png file deleted each time are attached in numerical order.

3 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt 4 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt 5 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt 6 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt

Guest MeganCCleaner

Would you be willing to "Add" the following folders from within the Include tab of the Duplicate Finder?

• D:\A\Home\#Home\zBackups-Kodi
  • D:\A\Home\zBackups-Kodi

When adding these folders, please ensure you select the "Include files and subfolders" option-

Include Files and Subs.png

Afterwards, please place a checkmark next to these folders, and no others, then click Search to see if the behavior changes, or not.

The first attachment (7) is running the scan after renaming all folders to be without the # at the front of their name.

The second attachment (8) is running the scan after following your request. This seems better than attachment 7, without any renaming between the two runs! But still very puzzling.

7 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt 8 duplicate having renamed the folder # to A.txt

Guest MeganCCleaner

I also feel as though this is quite puzzling as you should not be required to point the Duplicate Finder to a specific directory like that, nor should doing so allow it to find more duplicate files than it did previously, without the specification.

To confirm, have you experienced any continued problems after manually adding the zBackups-Kodi sub-folders?

Attached are the results of multiple searches in the above two folders, with the files in D:\A\Home\AHome\* deleted each time.

I believe that would be a "yes" to your question of continued issues...

9 duplicate using specific folder names.txt 10 duplicate using specific folder names.txt 11 duplicate using specific folder names.txt 12 duplicate using specific folder names.txt 13 duplicate using specific folder names.txt

Guest MeganCCleaner

Thanks for all of your continued help and patience throughout this process!

We suspect that this could be partially attributed to how the files are numbered like this.

We'll be testing this to see if we're able to replicate the issue and I'll follow-up with you again as soon as I have further insight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest MeganCCleaner

Although we've been investigating, we still haven't been able to replicate the issue so unfortunately, we do not yet have further insight on this.

We are however eager to determine what is causing this problem; would our support team have permission to contact you via email, using the same email address that is registered to your forums account?