Windows 2000 valid fileextentions detected as invalid

joda

CCleaner: v1.31.325

Perhaps this is just a misleading translation ?

English: Issues->"unused fileextentions"

German (back to English): Issues -> "broken/invalid fileextentions"

If "unused fileextentions" is correct how could I control/change the amount of time until it's "unused" ?

ok, the "unused" detection would also be broken. I opened a .ASE file -> Deep Exploration and rerun detect unused fileextentions which just listed the file again.

If this is/will be known issue for a while could someone make this post sticky and unsticky it once the issue is fixed ? ;) (That way people won't have to search the whole forums).

I'll attach my registry backup, perhaps you can work from that one ;)

cc_20060719_1449.zip

cc_20060719_1449.zip

Do the same issues come back every time?

No, if I fix items markes as "unused file associations" and CCleaner won't list those next time. But I also miss many of my file associations, which have been listed there.

Before CCLeaner:

I double click an *.ASE file and it opens with the associated Program.

After running CCLearn with fix unused/broken(?) file associations:

I double click an *.ASE file and windows prompts me again which program to use to open it.

ok, perhaps it's easier if someone explains what "issues->fix unused fileassociations" (or is it fileextentions?) is meant to do ?

If CCleaner really cleans unused fileassociations by simply deleting all custom made file associations, I'd really be surprised. Probably CCLeaner just does not understand how Windows 2000 stores it's file associations, which might be different than on Windows XP.

• Moderators

Just a guess on my part however "maybe" you need to configure some of the file types in 'Folder Options->File Types' so that those file types are "properly" registered in the Windows registry, then again you may need to make sure you're an Administrator on the system so that configuring those file types will work. Or perhaps easier: right clicking files such as .ASE and choosing to always open with a particular program may solve it.

Edit:

Or you've uncovered a possible bug in CCleaner on Win2000.

Just a guess on my part however "maybe" you need to configure some of the file types in 'Folder Options->File Types' so that those file types are "properly" registered in the Windows registry, then again you may need to make sure you're an Administrator on the system so that configuring those file types will work. Or perhaps easier: right clicking files such as .ASE and choosing to always open with a particular program may solve it.

Edit:

Or you've uncovered a possible bug in CCleaner on Win2000.

I'm administrator, and I'm not sure what properly registering is to you. For me it's double clicking on an unknown fileextention, and selecting the application to open it. I'll check if I have any software installed that might influence those registry values. Could you have a look at my registry backup and see if the entries for ASE file make any sense ?

I guess there are two way to manage fileassociations on my OS ... one is somekind of easy setup and the other is "Advanced" which allows me to specify the different operations for a certain file extenion in "Folder options->File types". I'll attach a screenshot. It's a german system though.

You seem to be right that my file associations are really broken. I just checked and did not see .ase file extention listed under "Folder options->File types". It opens fine thought. So I just clicked new fileexnteion and added "ase" ... which resulted in Windows showing the following information about ASE.

I then checked the ft2000 entry which should also be included in the backup, and it's empty even though the ASE files are opened with deepexploration.exe somehow. I'm puzzled.

Probably the problem isn't common enough to be fixed by CCleaner, guess I'll just clear all those "broken" extentions and reassign them by hand. I'll do it later though, I'm in no hurry if you want more information on this just tell me what you need.

Thx for the pointers.

PS: I feel kind of dumb now for not checking "File types" before.

EDIT:

ok, seems to be a bug in CCleaner... it also lists all my WinRAR associations too, and only those which are "Forwarded" to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR.

For example if you install winrar it registers HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.r01 and put a "(Default) = WinRAR" into it. That's all it puts into it and my Windows Explorer knows what to do then.

post-6029-1153752962_thumb.jpg

post-6029-1153752962_thumb.jpg

CCleaner doesn't want to remove the gloabel file assciations, but the ones in my local user profile.

I should pay attention to details here.

This is the location it wants to clean:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

That's also the spot where a correctly working entry for .ASE is located (now).

So CCLeaner does only want to remove the duplicated entries. hm.

My "new" operation on the Folder Options dialog seems to have fixed a inconsistency.

The entry is the same:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ASE]

"Application"="Deep Exploration.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ASE\OpenWithList]

"a"="Deep Exploration.exe"

"MRUList"="a"

Could the "new ASE" operation have added "Deep Exploration" to a list of applications ?

• Moderators

Could the "new ASE" operation have added "Deep Exploration" to a list of applications ?

If you mean when you added it in 'Folder Options->File Types' I'd think yes that "may" be what did it.

Also the key area HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.???\OpenWithList

is what CC finds on WinXP when it constantly adds an extension into the registry rather a program opens it or not. The strange thing though is it wanting to remove a known working file type.

If you mean when you added it in 'Folder Options->File Types' I'd think yes that "may" be what did it.

"Add-Filetype fix"

In "Folder Options->File Types" I click add new file type, entered "ASE" and suddeleny ASE was listed (which it wasn't before). I didn't assign any application to the file type, I just added the filetype and the "hidden" association appeared.

ok, narrowing this bug down.

Situation:

Two associations for file type ASE. One lower case [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ase] and the other in upper case [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ASE] (see above).

.ase points to "ft000002" and .ASE points to "deep exploration.exe".

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ft000002] is empty and has no default value set.

The difference between before my "Add-Filetype fix" and now, isn't yet clear to me otherwise, I might revert it and see if it still happens. Does anyone know if there is another cache or index of all known fileextentions except those already listed ?