stop the CCLeaner-pop-up harassment for existing customers

Peter R Keus

I am a satisfied customer, but that is changing rapidly.

with 2-1/2monts to go in my existing subscription, I am harassed with a popup at each start of my computer or CCleaner, for new subscription. With 2 months TO GO!!!

If you will harrass me for the coming 2-1/2months, you are losing a customer.
I changed news/mails settings, but they keep coming back

Please help me turn these pop-ups off

• Admin
1 hour ago, Peter R Keus said:

I am a satisfied customer, but that is changing rapidly.

with 2-1/2monts to go in my existing subscription, I am harassed with a popup at each start of my computer or CCleaner, for new subscription. With 2 months TO GO!!!

If you will harrass me for the coming 2-1/2months, you are losing a customer.
I changed news/mails settings, but they keep coming back

Please help me turn these pop-ups off

At around this time in your subscription you should get an occasional message about the benefits of renewing early and/or any deals that are on at the time.  However these are set to only pop up about once every couple of weeks - certainly not every day.  The most likely causes of getting more messages like this than you should would be:

1) If you are still on a version of CCleaner from before 5.54 (should not be the case as a paid user)

2) If you are using an expired licence instead of your current one.  Do the pop-ups suggest that you "renew early", that you will "expire soon" or that you "have expired"? If you go to Options > About > License Information in your copy of CCleaner does it show your renewal date as being November 2020 or November 2019?

3) If your "I have already seen this message so I don't need to see it again" cookie is being wiped, which means that you are telling the messaging system that you haven't seen the notification yet, even though you have.  Check Options > Cookies > Cookies to Keep in CCleaner and these four should appear at the top of the list to make sure that everything behaves itself.  Let me know if any of them are missing.

image.png

... if you have checked all of these and none of them apply please let me know.  We are always on the lookout for new bugs to swat!

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

6 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

At around this time in your subscription you should get an occasional message about the benefits of renewing early and/or any deals that are on at the time.  However these are set to only pop up about once every couple of weeks - certainly not every day.  The most likely causes of getting more messages like this than you should would be:

1) If you are still on a version of CCleaner from before 5.54 (should not be the case as a paid user)

2) If you are using an expired licence instead of your current one.  Do the pop-ups suggest that you "renew early", that you will "expire soon" or that you "have expired"? If you go to Options > About > License Information in your copy of CCleaner does it show your renewal date as being November 2020 or November 2019?

3) If your "I have already seen this message so I don't need to see it again" cookie is being wiped, which means that you are telling the messaging system that you haven't seen the notification yet, even though you have.  Check Options > Cookies > Cookies to Keep in CCleaner and these four should appear at the top of the list to make sure that everything behaves itself.  Let me know if any of them are missing.

image.png

... if you have checked all of these and none of them apply please let me know.  We are always on the lookout for new bugs to swat!

Thx for response 

The only thing I can find, is that I seem to be missing the Avast-cookie. See attached screenshots.

ScreenHunter 26 2020-09-23 11.45.jpg

[Screenshots redacted for user privacy]

ScreenHunter 30 2020-09-23 17.10.jpg

Edited by Dave CCleaner
Screenshots redacted for user privacy

Guest johnccleaner

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting us know what you found.

Please go to CCleaner's Options > Cookies > right-click on the Cookie to Keep list > Add > enter "*.avast.com".

This should prevent the cookie that David referred to from being affected by CCleaner, which should allow the data on when you last were shown this notification to be retained.

Thanks for providing that information to us!

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Hello Peter,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have any other apps on your device that could clean your cookies ? It's possible that an app similar to ours may clean that cookie for you.

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi Peter. It's definitely possible that this is attributed to the Chrome setting so exactly as you suggested, you may be able to allow the avast.com domain to resolve this.

Otherwise if the problem persists afterwards, I would suggest that you disable the "Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome" setting for a period of time in order to verify if this is in fact the cause of the issue, or not.

20 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Hi Peter. It's definitely possible that this is attributed to the Chrome setting so exactly as you suggested, you may be able to allow the avast.com domain to resolve this.

Otherwise if the problem persists afterwards, I would suggest that you disable the "Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome" setting for a period of time in order to verify if this is in fact the cause of the issue, or not.

turned off the Chrome cookie-cleanup... no new popups.....

mmmmm..... typical.. to protect my privacy, I have to accept pop-up ads..... But OK, issue is solved, thx for your help Good weekend!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Peter R Keus said:

turned off the Chrome cookie-cleanup... no new popups.....

mmmmm..... typical.. to protect my privacy, I have to accept pop-up ads..... But OK, issue is solved, thx for your help Good weekend!!

That's one reason for using CCleaners Custom Clean rather than the browsers own cleaning.

CCleaners Custom Clean gives you more control over which cookies to keep and which ones to zap than (most) browsers do.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

That's one reason for using CCleaners Custom Clean rather than the browsers own cleaning.

CCleaners Custom Clean gives you more control over which cookies to keep and which ones to zap than (most) browsers do.

one question about renewing subscription NOW (2months early)... will the old end-date still stand, or will the new date be NOW (in other words, subscription is 10 months instead of 12)

• Moderators

Your renawal will start from when the old one ends.

So if you have a month left then the new one should end 13 months later.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
On 03/10/2020 at 21:01, nukecad said:

So if you have a month left then the new one should end 13 months later.

Additional notes: The extra time credit will be applied within 15 working days (usually more like 5) if you renew at most 90 days before expiry and with the same account (ie: you purchase using the same email address as last time).  If you purchase "incognito" with a different email address, or more than 3 months early, then the system won't automatically match the two licences - but under those circumstances you can contact support and they'll stitch it all together for you. Probably more detail that you need here:

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039530092-Will-I-lose-any-time-on-my-subscription-if-I-take-an-offer-to-renew-early-

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes