Programs and files are gone.

babygirl1968

boot.ini tells your computer where to boot from.

did ccleaner do this?!?!

all of your stuff is still there and can most likely be recovered.

i think you can put in your windows cd and go to repair.

what OS are your running, for example: XP, 98, ect...

boot.ini is a file used by the NTLDR bootloader. It should be present on the system partition. C:

C:\boot.ini

It should look something like this;

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

but if she cant boot up, she cant access that, can she?

you could also try pressing F8 repeatedly when its booting up and try booting up into safe mode.

boot.ini tells your computer where to boot from.

did ccleaner do this?!?!

all of your stuff is still there and can most likely be recovered.

i think you can put in your windows cd and go to repair.

what OS are your running, for example: XP, 98, ect...

I am running windows 2000 pro, and yes CCleaner did this. I contacted Dell for support but they could not help. I just need my information back. These are business files i need. If anyone can help it would be greatly!!!!!!!!!!! appreciated.

Thanks so much

but if she cant boot up, she cant access that, can she?

you could also try pressing F8 repeatedly when its booting up and try booting up into safe mode.

My computer does boot up, i am able to go into safe mode and the desktop. All my icons except a few are missing. When it boots it says invalid boot.ini booting from c: winnint

Please write down and post the exact error message, word for word. It's pretty easy to remake your boot.ini file :P

This code should work for you IF your Windows installation is in C:\WINNT\

Open a notepad and copy the text below. Paste it inside and save the file as boot.ini This file must be placed in your C:\ root directory.

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Please write down and post the exact error message, word for word. It's pretty easy to remake your boot.ini file :P

This code should work for you IF your Windows installation is in C:\WINNT\

Open a notepad and copy the text below. Paste it inside and save the file as boot.ini This file must be placed in your C:\ root directory.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

invalid boot.ini booting from c:\winnt i tried to repair and it will not allow, it says it must have a 2000 installation to be able to repair. What can i do! Help!

since you can boot into safe mode, i suggest backing up all these important files that you have first.

as tarun said, open up boot.ini and paste in this code:

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

if that doesnt work,

go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

try restoring your computer back to an earlier date.

there is NO WAY that CC could have done that.

since you can boot into safe mode, i suggest backing up all these important files that you have first.

as tarun said, open up boot.ini and paste in this code:

if that doesnt work,

go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

try restoring your computer back to an earlier date.

there is NO WAY that CC could have done that.

2000 dose not have restore points. I think when some deleted the cookies they may have gone to the uninstaller instead , is that possibe. All my programs are missing.

• Moderators

I was reading here babygirl

http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-21456.html

about someone who had a similar problem to you although it wasn't recently, but I wonder if you had downloaded anything similar ( not necessarily the thing she downloaded)

Give it a read to the end and although it doesn't sound promising for you, at least it explained how it could happen.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I was reading here babygirl

http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-21456.html

about someone who had a similar problem to you although it wasn't recently, but I wonder if you had downloaded anything similar ( not necessarily the thing she downloaded)

Give it a read to the end and although it doesn't sound promising for you, at least it explained how it could happen.

i did uninstall winfax by way of the uninstaller, could it have taken everything else? What can i do? CAn i install norton go back or is it to late? Help!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

I have no real answer here babygirl, there are plenty of recovery products out there and anything would be worth a go in your case.

If you have to go down the road of reinstalling, it could be a good idea to keep your programs, and the work you do in the programs backed up separately. A lot of people keep copies of the program installers on an external drive, They also make regular copies of documents, photos, music, and spreadsheets made through those programs and keep them on the separate hardrive.

Then if the worst happens at least you have safe copies of all your work.

I wish you all the best in trying a recovery prog. Please let us know how you get on.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

OK, here's some reading:

Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console

Pay particular attention to the 'Fixboot' command. So that should be Fixboot c: if c: is the drive your boot.ini should be written to

Windows 2000 - Installing the Recovery Console

When Windows 2000 won't boot

And here's a Google Groups thread with a few additional pointers.

Good luck!