CCleaner v5.69.7865 excessive CPU consumption [confirmed - fix in next release]

Ever since the latest update, CCleaner v5.69.7865 (64-bit) showing 10% CPU utilization even in background. This is with it supposedly idle and no activity on Windows 10. No other apps show such utilization.

It does not happen immediately, it happens if the app is opened and left open for some time in a minimized state. Could be a potential memory leak or something more serious.

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 1909

OS build 18363.959

Edited by inFINite

• Moderators

Thanks for that. (I'm leaving mine minimised now to see if I can replicate it).

A few questions if I may.

Do you have Smart Cleaning enabled?
Does it grow above that 10% if left for longer?
Is CCleaner working once restored from minimised? (ie. Not frozen).
Are you noticing any slowdown in Windows itself or other apps?

Additional, about how long is "left open for some time in a minimised state"?
Are we talking minutes, hours, days?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

I am seeing this (CCleaner 64 bit Windows 10 1909).  Has been in a minimised state for an extended period of time.

image.png

Sitting in the foreground for about an hour:

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

@inFINite

I have been able to replicate an increasing CPU use when CCleaner is idle (and minimised).
That was on Win 10 2004, but probably the same.

It took a few steps to replicate, I won't go into detail here.  I've passed on just what I did to the staff to be looked at.

In the meantime I would close CCleaner after using, rather than minimising it.
If you have Smart Cleaning enabled then that will still continue in the background.
(If your ccleaner CPU usage still increases with CC close and Smart Cleaning in the background then please let us know, I've not got round to testing that yet).

The answers to my questions above would still be useful, and do let us know if you have any further issues.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Do you have Smart Cleaning enabled?
Does it grow above that 10% if left for longer?
Is CCleaner working once restored from minimised? (ie. Not frozen).
Are you noticing any slowdown in Windows itself or other apps?

Hi @nukecad

No Smart Cleaning enabled.

It appears to grow as large as 20% after several hours.

CCleaner "works sluggishly" when restored from minimized, however this was the same behavior when it was open for a long period of time. It doesn't seem to free up the high CPU utilization until closed. Suggesting a possible memory leak, though memory utilization itself is *not* high which is odd and hopefully not indicative of something else.

I notice a general slowdown in Windows however when I check the task manager, the only program open consuming bandwidth is CCleaner, so the general slowdown I believe is because at 10-20% utilization, Windows is having to divert idle resources to the program that would normally be available for foreground apps.

Hope this helps. Oh and install was directly from your website.

• Moderators

Thanks,

I've managed to get the CPU usage much higher than that, up to the point of freezing the system.
(There have been other reports of similar behaviour, but they wouldn't have used the steps that i did - at least it's not waht I'd expect a user to do).

The fact that it's the CPU rising and not memory suggests it's a strange programming error rather than a memory leak.
I can think of a few of way to do that in programming, but they are not things that CCleaner would/should be using.

• Moderators

• Admin
On 30/07/2020 at 14:23, nukecad said:

I've managed to get the CPU usage much higher than that, up to the point of freezing the system.

With the help of your good self and the others in the thread the team was able to isolate and fix this - will be rolled out in the next release.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to CCleaner v5.69.7865 excessive CPU consumption [confirmed - fix in next release]