Version 5.69.7865 (64 bit) [not bug - user has malware]

Just downloaded the newer version (had previous version already installed and was informed of new update). Since I installed, the app has glitched, starts, stops, mouse pointer doesn't work correctly, analyze, run cleaner, etc., all buttons do not work, app has frozen open and I cannot close it without doing a hard reboot of my laptop. Even your website doesn't work correctly, same issues with mouse, page is unresponsive, black box keeps appearing and disappearing. Never had so much problem with not only the app but also your website. I need to uninstall this version and re-install the previous version which worked fine. Once I get the app closed, my laptop runs fine. Only occurs when app is open or your website.

• Moderators

@stevecripe57 did you download CCleaner through the program itself or from the web? If from the web can you say which site please?

Can you uninstall and try downloading the slim build from here to see if you have same issue.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds  (last in list on page)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I'm having the same trouble except on a desktop PC. I have three licenses but this one is the only device with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. The other devices are Windows 10 Home 64-bit and Home 32-bit; those are working fine so far. Mine I have set for automatic updates and about 3 days ago I noticed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit was slowing to a crawl. Rebooting fixed it but only for an hour or so, then everything slowed again. I noticed CCleaner was frozen, but I thought that was also due to Windows slowing because everything else was very slow or not responding. Went through a bunch of performance diagnostics and fixes for Windows--nothing. I was just starting to think about hardware failures until tonight I just stopped CCleaner 5.69.7865 and Windows was instantly back to normal speed without rebooting. There is something wrong with this version of CCleaner and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I never had to shut CCleaner down before, and I've used it for many years. Now I just throttle the app on and off as my workaround. 

I am having the exact same problem you are--except I also have an app that opens up about a minute after I reboot (whether rebooting with or without CCleaner uninstalled).  It opens up in the background as a ghost, so I have no idea what it is--and it only appeared when this CCleaner problem began (with the download of the new version, that is).

I didn't have the automatic updates turned on...get the pop-ups from CCleaner and used to go to Piriform to download, until 2 versions ago, when I began clicking on the pop-up out of laziness.

To hazelnut:

I had the previous version installed. When I opened it to run it, a box popped up that said there was a new version, and to click on the link to download it. When I clicked on the link it opened my default browser, Chrome, and then opened filepuma.com and the download automatically started. It asked me where I wanted it saved which I indicated my download folder. The download occured fine. I then clicked on the file of the new version and it installed without problems. Then the Piriform website opened in a second tab and thanked me for downloading their software. It was at this point while I was navigating in the Piriform website that my mouse started glitching, jumping around, just not acting right. So I closed both tabs in Chrome and started the new version of CCleaner. Then after it did the initial "Analyze", my laptop froze and none of the other functions of CCleaner would work, and my mouse was acting all screwy again. I went back to the Piriform website on Chrome in order to file a bug report, but the website was acting screwy, things didn't function in the log in and Community Board area, and I tried to type things but it wouldn't let my mouse or keyboard function on the Piriform website. So I closed the website and Chrome and had to do a hard reboot of my laptop to get out of the new version of CCleaner. I then had to use my Android phone to access the Piriform website and submit my bug report. I then uninstalled the new version of CCleaner and reinstalled the old version of CCleaner. The old version works fine and that is the one I'm using until Piriform gets CCleaner straightened out.

just signed up to report this same bug. sent an email to support but thought i might get quicker results here. been using ccleaner pro for years. .zero problems until this. it started as soon as i updated and opened chrome. did update from within the program/"check for updates" method after i received an email alert that an update was ready. as others have stated, stalling and some micro freeze ups with skidish mouse action. hoping a patch or new update will be available soon. can't use auto clean because ccleaner needs to be closed for chrome to work properly. not a huge deal short term as i can scan/clean manually until this is sorted out. want to make sure someone is on it at the very least. cheers

No. File puma is what automatically opened in my default browser when CCleaner told me there was a new version and I clicked on okay. Surprised me too because the actual Piriform website used to open whenever you clicked to install a new version.

I tried reverting to a couple of different previous CCleaner versions, but still had the same problems I have with this one...no difference.

Even though I have uninstalled CCleaner from my laptop, I still have the ghost app. opening upon rebooting, which began when I downloaded the latest version of CCleaner to begin with.  Maybe I should rename myself "Steve" or "Tom" or "George" so I can be taken seriously...

I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the new version. It has always done a pretty complete job of uninstalling any program or app. Then I just did an internet search for the old version and installed it. The previous version is working fine.

I don't understand why when you use to be notified of an update available, when you clicked on the pop up box in CCleaner you were taken to Piriform website. But now you are taken to File puma and it does the downloads. Why doesn't Piriform do their own downloading now?

Guest Sandra CCleaner

Hi all, thank you for reporting this. Please rest assured that our team is trying to replicate the issue and find out why that redirect has happened. We will share an update as soon as we have more information. 

I don't know who you are asking this question of. If you are asking me, please read my submissions because I have stated several times what the sequence of events were, and where I was taken/what website I was taken to and what website the download occured from.

As I originally noted in detail days ago on my original post, I downloaded from ccleaner.com.

Stevecripe57, I use the uninstaller in Win. 10pro.  Is the Revo uninstaller more efficient?  Is it free?

Thank You for the info.

• Admin
On 27/07/2020 at 23:49, stevecripe57 said:

and then opened filepuma.

Very bad idea to download CCleaner from anywhere other than our official website.  If for whatever reason you want to roll back to an older version you can pull it from https://download.ccleaner.com/ccsetup567.exe.

On 28/07/2020 at 08:54, stevecripe57 said:

But now you are taken to File puma and it does the downloads. Why doesn't Piriform do their own downloading now?

We do.  The update alerts do go directly to CCleaner.com - either to https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/update or directly to https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard.  I have no idea what filepuma is, but it is not related to us in any way.  If you were taken there directly from CCleaner then that sounds like you have some sort of link hijacker on your PC.  If you have picked up something untoward on your PC that might be causing some of your other problems.  I would recommend checking what extensions and toolbars you have in your browser and probably a comprehensive malware scan of your computer.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Dave CCleaner: Here's an idea... don't get on the forum and tell me I've done things wrong and"don't ever do this or that". I followed the instructions that popped up when I opened the old version. The pop up box on your app said there was a new version, if I wanted to download it, click the link in the pop up box. I clicked the link in the box on your app. It opened file puma in my default browser and automatically began to download the new version of CCleaner. After the download finished, I installed the download. If file puma has somehow taken over or hacked the downloads of Piriform, that's your problem to solve. But I followed the instructions given to me from your app. After the app installed and I had all the problems, I then went to Piriform website to file the bug report. Once on your website, I experienced the same issues as with the app. Your website didn't respond correctly, it started and stopped, caused my mouse to jump all over the page just like on the app. I couldn't close CCleaner or your website without doing a hard reboot. I had to use my Android phone to go to your website and file the bug report as everytime I tried going to your website with my laptop, it had the same functional problems. I solved the issue temporarily by uninstalling the new version and re-installing the previous older version. The older version works fine. But don't blame your customers for doing things wrong when we followed the instructions given to us by your app. I have no idea why file puma did the download... that's up to you to figure out. Have a nice day.