v5.69 is slowing down and then freezing my computer.

• Moderators

Please explain just what is happening / what you are seeing.

It also helps to say which Windows version you have and which antivirus you are using.

Also if you are using Health Check or Custom Clean in CCleaner, and if you have used the Registry Cleaner at all.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi, nukecad.

Thank You for replying.

I am using Custom Clean.

As I posted above, I am using Win.10Pro.

I use Malwarebytes Premium, and it does not interfere with CC.

No, I have not used the Registry Cleaner.

What happens is what is happening right now.  CCleaner is frozen, and the only way I can defrost it is by re-booting using the Malwarebytes Adw. Cleaner and re-booting that way.  Then CCleaner works for the next 2 minutes and then freezes and slows my laptop to sludge.  I need to re-boot.

• Moderators

I'm concerned when you say you are using ADWcleaner to 'defrost' CCleaner and reboot - It gives me a suspicion that you may not be downloading the genuine CCleaner.

ADWcleaner removes PUPs, Adware, and manufacturer pre-installed bloat.
It doesn't remove the genuine CCleaner, nor would it close a running genuine CCleaner.

Which begs the question of just where you are downloading CCleaner from?

If you are not downloading from the official site then you may have something else (malware/adware) that is masquerading as the genuine CCleaner.
(And your description of the way it is slowing your computer also points to some kind of malware/adware).
In which case it is highly likely that running ADWcleaner would quarantine whatever it is, and would then require a reboot to fully remove it.
(The fact that it then comes back may be because you have your browser synced?).

Malwarebytes Premium would not catch it running unless it tried to interfere with your operating system or files, it might find it as adware with a scan but might not. That's one reason why ADWcleaner exists; to find different (less nasty) things from MB Premium.
However I would still run a manual scan with Malwarebytes if I was you.

If you are downloading CCleaner from the official site then having to use ADWcleaner indicates that something else is causing the slowdown and CCleaner freezing is a symptom rather than the cause.

If you can confirm where you are downloading CCleaner from we can work from there on how to cure your problem.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@Bethy54

So if you uninstall CCleaner and then reboot (yet again !!) the freeze doesn't happen?

Would you be willing to download CCleaner installer again to your machine, turn off Malwarebytes realtime, install CCleaner, and see if the issue still happens?

Then of course you then would turn MBAM back on after the test.

By the way, are you using the latest version of Malwarebytes, the one mentioned here, which fixed a lot of issues it had/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257102-malwarebytes-41/?tab=comments#comment-1396220

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

OK, the fact that you have a downloaded CCleaner from the genuine site is good.

If there was a problem with CCleaner v5.69 itself slowing computers down and freezing them like you describe then we would have hundreds shouting about it here.

Which means that your slowing down issue is something else. (No doubt if you uninstall CCleaner completely your machine will still slow down/freeze).
The first suspects for what you describe would be malware, or possibly a 'memory leak'.

Firstly I would check Hazelnut's link and make sure you Malwarebyted is the latest version.
There have been some issues with MB4 and Windows 10 v2004.

Whilst we are not allowed to give detailed malware removal help on this forum we can give basics of using existing apps, and point you to further help if needed.

As you say that ADWcleaner stops it happening for a while then that indicates that it is a PUP or adware of some kind.
(It would be interesting, but not important here, to know exactly what ADW says it has found, I'd suspect a bitcoin miner but it could be something else).

And as ADW is fixing it temporarily, but then it comes back, I suspect that whatever it is may be being re-synced from your browser.

If you have browser syncing enabled then turn it off for now.
You will then have to clear the contents of your synced files (or just the offending file if you can identify it) from your browsers sync-server, use google to find how to do that for your particular browser.
Then run ADWcleaner to clear the infection from your machine again - we already know that it can do that.
Restart (not shut down and reboot) your machine, (or let ADW do it for you).
The issue should now have been solved.
Once you are sure that it's gone then you can turn browser syncing back on if wanted.

To help prevent it happening again.
If you have Chrome (or a Chromium based browser, including the new Edge) or Firefox I suggest that you also add Malwarebytes Browser Guard to your current Malwarbytes Premium and Malwarebytes ADWcleaner. MBG is free and runs real time in your browser to help protect against nasties in the browser itself, it can be used on it's own or to add to Malwarebytes Premium browser protection.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

If the above has still not cleared the problem then I suggest that you go to the Malwarebytes forum and get one of their malware removal experts to check over your machine for free.
They do give detailed one-to-one help there, start here and follow the instructions carefully:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/

Let us know how you get on.

Thank You for both of your replies.

1. Yes, I have the latest Mwbyts.  Yes, I already tried turning off Mwbyts realtime, etc. and it didn't change anything...did the same with Adw.

2. I have to correct myself because I used to only download from Piriform, but instead I used the last 2 pop-ups that came on my desktop for updates.  Plus, I now notice a square shadow come on and disappear when I have re-booted.  I have tried uninstalling CCleaner, but upon doing a search for CCleaner afterward, up came one link to a CCleaner shortcut and another to a backup file, and neither of them will delete when I attempt to do so.  I do not want to open either of them because I don't know if it will make any difference.

3. It seems as long as I don't open CCleaner, I don't have the problem, which leads me to think it is the problem, and I must have a bug of some sort, which scares me no-end.

4. I use Firefox, and it is up-to-date.

• Moderators

The square window that comes up at boot may actually be the new version of ADW if you have it set to run at startup. They've added a new command line interface which is causing it.

But yes; I do belive that you may be infected and should follow the link I gave above to have the Malwarebytes experts help you clean it up.

Btw, the window for ADW is a black box that comes up.  This is a ghost that appears for a micro-second and then disappears immediately.  I followed the instructions through the link, and am now waiting for help.  Mwbyts help usually takes days if not weeks to answer...and I have Mwbyts Premium.  ***sigh***

• Moderators

I've not had to use them myself but imagine it can be frustrating waiting for one of them to become available to work with you, when what you want is your machine sorting out now.

Although I referred to them as 'the Malwarebytes experts' the removal guys and gals on the forum are often trained volunteers rather than MB employees, and they work on more than one forum to help others who have or may have been infected.
Some are also employees.
Obviously they do get busy at times.

MB support is usually quicker to answer, but TBH they'd probably refer you to the forum experts for one-to-one malware removal anyway.

• Moderators

I see that 'AdvancedSetup' is helping you over at Malwarebytes.

You couldn't be in better hands.

Thank You for the encouragement.

I've been following the instructions given me by AdvanceSetup.

The infection is still in my CCleaner, even though I uninstalled it and re-installed it a couple of times--then uninstalled it.  I checked to find that there are still 2 CCleaner files on my laptop, one marked shortcut and the other with far more megabytes, looking like it is the main CCleaner file.  These will neither uninstall, nor delete.  When I attempt to delete them, they give no pop-ups...just remain.  I know this is where the infection lies.  I've told AdvanceSetup, but I'm still following instructions, that have nothing to do with what I just described.

It is in the CCleaner.

• Moderators

Yep, just stick with AdvancedSetup's instructions and do only that and nothing else for the moment.

In particular don't try to run CCleaner, or any other similar app, unless he tells you to. (That could destroy/confuse the logs that he needs).

I can't say for certain but it does seem as if the CCleaners you are seeing are not genuine but something else masquerading as CCleaner.
AdvancedSetup can probably see that from the logs you have provided, but TBH unless it's a new malware then what it is is not important and he will just want to help you get rid of it.
(One of the problems with popular software is that criminals try to pass their malware off as a genuine product).

AdvancedSetup will sort things out for you if you provide the logs and follow his instructions to the letter.
I see that he has already provided a generic script for your particular machine, but a good clean up takes a few different stages and some time.

Everything seems to be okay for now--until I load CCleaner!  Then it all begins again, and I go through the motions of using the tools shared with me by AdvancedSetup to remove it all (and uninstall, of course).

Can you give me a specific link to the CCleaner download?  I don't know what is going on with it, but I have to have my CCleaner to be able to delete all the track/spy/crapware that is left on my laptop every time I use the internet.  Nothing else takes it out like CCleaner (that I know of, anyway).

Thanks.

Exactly--but I have the app "ghost" that opens when I re-boot, too.  That person may or may not have noticed it occurring--which is what leads me to believe that there is something else going on through the CCleaner download.

• Moderators

@Bethy54

We hadn't forgotten you, and now have more information about what is going on.

It looks like your slowing down/freezing problem is (mostlikely) due to you leaving CCleaner open, either on screen or minimised.
If you do that then for some reason CCleaner is gradually hogging the computers CPU.
It shouldn't do that, but it is doing for some reason.

(There are a couple of other steps needed to trigger it but after some testing I can now make it happen whenever I want to, right up to slowing down and freezing my computer, and have told the developers how to replicate it so they can look for what is causing it).

Until it can be fixed you should always close CCleaners window after using it.
If you do that then the slowdown/freeze will not happen.

What your 'ghost' window could be is unclear, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially as AdvanceSetup has delcared your machine clear of malware.
There are many genuine apps that can flash up a window at startup that.
Windows itself will sometimes do it if it is running some kind of 'special' diagnostic tool when you boot.
The long list of errors that AdvanceSetup found on your machine suggests that Windows may be doing just that, and reporting any system errors back to Microsoft each time you boot.

Hi.  I never leave it open.  What's more, I just tried re-downloading CCleaner from the link on the other page here that was discussing the same issue I have that others have (that thread is now closed), and I still have all the same issues.

Everything the Malwarebytes help tried to do, didn't help anything.  I've wasted days on this.  I miss my CCleaner.

Nothing seems to be happening with finding what is going on...it isn't anything to do with Malwarebytes...it is CCleaner.  Simply because someone didn't find something, does not mean it is not there...it means it wasn't found.

Nothing is fixed, and I'm still having the same exact problems.

• Moderators

@Bethy54 Hi again,

Things have been happening, and after some testing the cause of the rising CPU usage and computer slowdown issue has been pinned down, how to fix it is known, and it will be fixed in the next CCleaner update.
(Apparently it was a problem with "leaking device context handles").

Hopefully that update will be soon, but I have no influence over when updates are released.

Your posts, and having your machine checked over at Malwarebytes, has helped pin down just what the cause was. Thanks for doing that.

From the testing that I did myself it does only happen when CCleaner is either left open on the dektop, or open and minimised.
(Because of the nature of 'device context handles' Task Manager doesn't show it using up the CPU when it is minimised).
Closing CCleaner stops it happening and frees up the CPU again.

If CCleaner is not open (or not open and minimised) then it can't happen. (Because if CCleaner is closed it can't be using device context handles).

What you did with AdvancedSetup over at Malwarebytes was simply to make sure that your machine did not have any malware/virus/other nasties, which is always a good thing to know and never a waste of time.
So thanks again for doing that, it helped.