Ccleaner installer has stopped working

When AVG Tuneup showed that Ccleaner needed to be updated to the latest version, I clicked o.k.

The program did not install the latest version. If fact, the program disappeared altogether. Now when I try to install any of several versions, some several years old, I get the message that Ccleaner installer has stopped working. I tried disabling AVG, then installing Ccleaner to no avail. I also uninstalled AVG. It still says Ccleaner installer has stopped working. I tried the slim and portable with the same results.

I am my wits end on this.

I would appreciate any advice. I am using Windows 7. I have used Ccleaner for years with no issue until yesterday.

TIA

• Moderators

Try the suggestions given here:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/5739-solution-when-ccleaner-wont-install-or-download-windows/

Could you screenshot the error message and attach it to your next post?

PS. You shouldn't be getting any install error with the portable version - it  doesn't install anything.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I am sending the screenshot of when I try to install Ccleaner.

When I try to run the portable version, Windows 7 asks me if I want to run the file. I then click on run. Then Windows 7 asks "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer. I click yes and nothing happens after that.

Ccleaner.JPG

• Moderators

I don't know how restrictive Windows 7 is with old versions but on Windows 10 it won't let you install or use versions that are too old.

Some things to try:
1. Restart your computer.
2. To rule out any disk errors run Windows built-in tool ChkDsk on your disk drive, here's how.
3. Try the CCleaner Slim installer again and if it fails again try the Portable ZIP. Both of those can be downloaded here. The Portable ZIP should be unzipped into its own unique folder (don't run it from within the ZIP archive), example unzip into: C:\CCleanerPortable

• Moderators
16 hours ago, john michaels said:

When AVG Tuneup showed that Ccleaner needed to be updated to the latest version, I clicked o.k.

The program did not install the latest version. If fact, the program disappeared altogether. Now when I try to install any of several versions, some several years old, I get the message that Ccleaner installer has stopped working. I tried disabling AVG, then installing Ccleaner to no avail. I also uninstalled AVG. It still says Ccleaner installer has stopped working. I tried the slim and portable with the same results.

I am my wits end on this.

I would appreciate any advice. I am using Windows 7. I have used Ccleaner for years with no issue until yesterday.

TIA

I think this is where your problem may have started (in bold)

If you have AVG tune up I expect you allowed it to ''tune up'' things. A permission or reg file may have been changed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

That is a Windows error message, so it is something that has been changed in Win7 that is now preventing CCleaner from installing.

Hazelnut may have hit the nail on the head if AVG tuneup has altered your Windows settings/permissions.

The next step would be if you have a System Restore Point from before you ran AVG tuneup then you could restore that to try and undo any changes that AVG made.
(Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> system restore)

One thing to try first though, if you haven't already from the link I gave above.
You don't say what antivirus you are using, is that also AVG and what you disabled/uninstalled in your first post?
If not then whatever AV you are using try disabling it and then installing CCleaner.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043