ordering ubuntu discs?

rridgely

I have ordered CD's from there when I got my "Hoary Hedgehog" release.

But it took some time, I think it took 2-3 weeks.

I think that they send to all people at the same time, they dont send it when people put the order, then put it in a queue then send all together some time later...

I got my discs, they were good branded Ubuntu discs, both for LiveCD and for installation, came in perfect condition and worked perfect.

It's awesome, they're free, you dont even need pay the shipping. :)

Only thing was that it took some time...

See the FAQ section.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Alright I just ordered one. :D

I just inherited a pretty new P4,512mb ram system from a friend that didnt feel like replacing the hard drive.

The case and cd burner are shot too so I will have to buy a case and transplant everything too it. The pc is only like a year old too. I was just going to buy XP and stick it on it(its an HP pc but the recovery drive is on the busted HD) but I always wanted to try linux for real(i've played with a few live cds.)

Ordered 5 Ubuntu disks online and took around 4 weeks. :)

Perth,Western Australia.

Have passed 4 on to friends and installed my copy on a 40 gig spare.

Was going to give it some time to get used to and everything was going OK for the first couple of hours.

There were around 90 meg of updates which I installed.

Didn't like that you had to enter a username and password with no option.

I know there is a workaround but on my first restart after entering my details it would boot into a blank screen. :(

So back to XP .Will reinstall and play around with Ubuntu again a bit later. :)

You can run Linux inside of Windows too, Humpty. So you can keep XP, and play with Linux too if you're into trying that out. I haven't tried to do that yet, but it's a neat idea. :)

I love Ubutu. I just use the Live CD. Is there a difference from ordering it?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Do you mean on start up that you had to enter username and password?

Did you try playing any media on it? I read a lot about it and heard that it dosent come pre-configured with any media codecs.

Also what about the software that it has right out of the box? Can you think of anything that you had to have that wasn't on it right away?

I'm trying to get everything together on cdrs before I install it so that I can have it up and going quickly.

Tried to run as a live cd but couldn't.

Didn't try any media.

After I installed it I had a surf around with FF which was no probs.

To be honest it was damn hard navigating around but I really didn't give it much time and after it kept booting into a blank screen several times I spat the dummy and rehooked up the XP drive.

A lot of people swear by it and I do intend to give it another go next week sometime.

Too hungover to play with it today. :)

You can run Linux inside of Windows too, Humpty. So you can keep XP, and play with Linux too if you're into trying that out. I haven't tried to do that yet, but it's a neat idea. :)

found that.

its pretty cool but i dont think that you can access your computer through it.

only the folder its stored on.

its called qemu.

just run the batch.

Run linux in a window.

rridgely, thanks for the website.

I just ordered 5 copies of Ubuntu discs. I used redhat linux @ Columbia University and it's pretty cool. So, i'm going to try out Ubuntu :D

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

In case anyone is interested.

"Three months ago, we had a chat with Novell Linux evangelist Andreas Girardet who waxed lyrical about his company's desktop product SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLED) version 10. This was to be the Windows killer, the desktop Linux to end all desktop Linux products, the one that would make 2006 the year of the Linux desktop. However, we were expecting it by the end of June and it seems to be a little late."

iTWire

"You can look for the final to be available in July."

iTWire

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Do you mean on start up that you had to enter username and password?

Did you try playing any media on it? I read a lot about it and heard that it dosent come pre-configured with any media codecs.

Also what about the software that it has right out of the box? Can you think of anything that you had to have that wasn't on it right away?

I'm trying to get everything together on cdrs before I install it so that I can have it up and going quickly.

You might be interested in this.

Capabilities:

1) Installs multimedia codecs

2) Installs all Firefox plugins (java, flash, etc) (except Adobe reader and mplayer)

3) Installs RAR, ACE and UNRAR archive support

4) Installs skype

5) Installs Acrobat reader 7 and firefox plugin for the same.

6) Installs Gnomebaker (CD/DVD burning s/w for GNOME)

7) Installs gftp (FTP client for GNOME with ssh capability)

8) Installs Frostwire (GPL clone of Limewire)

9) Installs multimedia editors (Audacity (audio), Kino (video), EasyTag (ID3))

10) Installs DVD (dvdrip) ripper

11) Installs Mplayer and mplayerplug-in version 3.05 for Firefox

12) Installs totem-xine, Realplayer, VLC and Beep Media Player (with docklet)

13) Installs Opera Browser

14) Installs Debian Menu (shows all installed applications) (this kills and restarts your gnome-panel without warning u but its a completely harmless operation!)

15) Installs Bittornado and Azureus (Bittorrent clients)

16) Installs Avidemux (Video editing tool) (New version 2.1.0)

17) Enables Numlock on (turns numlock on Gnome startup)

18) Installs Programming Tools (Anjuta (C/C++ IDE), Bluefish (HTML editor), Screem (Web Development Env.) and NVU (HTML editor))

19) Install GnomePPP (Graphical Dial up connection tool)

20) Installs MS true type fonts

21) Configures ctrl-alt-del to start gnome-system-monitor (aka windows)

22) Installs Streamripper and Streamtuner

23) Installs NON-FREE audio and dvd codecs

24) Installs ndisgtk (WiFi configurator Graphical user interface)

25) Upgrades Open Office to 2.0 (final version), installs openoffice clipart and installs OO2 thumbnailer.

26) Adds 3 nautilus scripts (open any file with gedit as root; open a nautilus window as root in any folder; open gnome search tool in any folder (Right click in a nautilus window and look under "scripts")

27) Installs SUN'S JAVA JRE version 1.5

28) Installs SUN'S JAVA JDK version 1.5

29) Installs wine (u need to run winecfg manually after installation)

30) Enables ejection of CD when CDROM drive button is pressed.

31) Installs AMSN 0.95 (MSN client with webcam support)

32) Installs Mercury Messenger (Java based MSN client with webcam support)

33) Installs BUM (Boot-up Manager)

34) Installs DCPP (Linux DC++ client)

35) Installs sbackup (Backup and restoration solution)

36*) Installs firestarter (GNOME firewall frontend) and adds firestarter to GNOME startup

37*) installs gdesklets (GNOME eyecandy) and adds gdesklets to GNOME startup

38*) Gamepads (Makes USB gamepads work)

39*) Turns DMA ON on Intel and AMD machines (needs a restart)

40*) NVIDIA cards (Detects Nvidia cards and installs drivers) (Needs a restart)

41*) Adds midi capability to your Ubuntu box (test by playing a midi file with timidity or pmidi from terminal)

42*) Installs Firefox 1.5.0.3 and its plugins(themes and extensions are not retained, bookmarks need to be copied from backup folder)

43*) Installs Mozilla-Thunderbird 1.5 (US-only version) (no support for non-US-english language packs and enigmail)

44*) Fixes Gnome sound related issues (ALSA and ESD config) (needs a restart) (ONLY FOR GNOME! NOT TO BE USED ON KDE/XFCE)

The Ubutu Forum is really helpful btw. ;)

• Moderators

Thanks krit. I've seen automatix mentioned on digg before but I never searched for it. :P It looks like autmatix will take care of a lot of the things I was worried about.(and a few things I hadn't thought of yet)

I'll probably start transplanting everything to the new case next weekend and if I have the patience to wait for the ubuntu cd to arive I will. If not I'll download it and do that as well. :D

I got the hard drive earlier that I'm going to use. It's 160gigs so I think I might partition it and install ubuntu and linspire. I've heard that linspire isn't very good but I got a free license of it when they were giving them away a few months back.

You can play some types of media out-of-the-box with Ubuntu but not all. Example, you can play Ogg Vorbis, but you cant play MP3. The reason for this is because MP3 is a propiertary patented codec, so its not shipped with Ubuntu. However, you can easily and quickly download the MP3 (and other codecs) and install them then you can play those media.

I personally wouldnt touch Linspire, because I think it lacks the Linux spirit.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

I get what your saying about linspire but I have absolutely no linux experience whats so ever.(apart from using a few live cds. But all I really did was launch FF and say "wow it works" and then go back to windows :P).I would never pay the $20 a month/year or whatever they charge you to easilly install programs but the interface is almost exactly like windows(from what screenshots I've seen) I would never really use it as the main OS but rather just an easy way to learn.

• Moderators

Wow I might just download it then.(don't know if I can resist the temptation for 4 weeks. :P)

I'd download it too, however it would probably be faster for me to get it via snail mail. :lol:

doesnt make sense, why would they give these out for free?

Contrary to popular belief, not everybody is after your money. Some things actually are free and some people actually want to do "The Right Thing" .

I get what your saying about linspire but I have absolutely no linux experience whats so ever.(apart from using a few live cds. But all I really did was launch FF and say "wow it works" and then go back to windows :P).I would never pay the $20 a month/year or whatever they charge you to easilly install programs but the interface is almost exactly like windows(from what screenshots I've seen) I would never really use it as the main OS but rather just an easy way to learn.

Yeah, in that case I guess it could be good, because Linspire is supposedly pretty easy. But keep in mind that real Linux is different from Linspire, its different philosophy and feeling. Linspire is corporate, it works much business like. Linspire done some good things and donated to open source projects, but personally for me, its too corporate. :P

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Hi guys, I'm just back from holiday and saw this thread.

I was playing with ubuntu on the live CD after downloading it and I thought is was really cool, so I took the plunge to try install it using a dual boot, I didn't want to get rid of XP just yet.

I know I don't have to tell you guys this but if your going to do this, BACK-UP BACK-UP BACK-UP!!

I did back-up all my important stuff, but didn't do the OS.

As I had nearly had 40gb of music I partitioned my boot drive to protect it too.

I started the install and my whole system fell over, gawd knows why, I had to restore my PC to factory settings, little did I know but it deleted the partition too, yip I lost all my music.

I spent the next week trying to rebuild my PC, so a very sore lesson has been learned.

Maybe when I a little braver I might try again, but I'll never go for the dual boot option.

I've also read that ubuntu could run on a USB external drive, but it has been released yet, if and when that happens I'd be very happy

• Moderators

Ouch, did you just lose your partition or was that the only back up you had?

My tip would be to ALWAYS have back ups on some kind of removable media. That way no matter what happens on the computer you will always have your files. I have my music and pictures backed up on my external hard drive and on dvd.

to anybody who wants to launch ubuntu quickly, here'e my way: stand up, leave your computer for a while, go out to grab a magazine (like APC August edition), then u just get it:) the DVD contains ubuntu 6.06 LTS desktop (both for live cd and installation), that's it, might just take u a couple of minutes.

also, there's another way for people who wants to try ubuntu (or any other os) out whitout creating a new partition out of the disk, try to use a virtual machine like virtual pc 2004 or vmware (both free now), you can start any OS you like, and simply remove them (actually del the virtual machine files) if dislike them. guess what, I've set up a dos box with virtual pc 2004 playing those games from http://www.abandonia.com:D

good luck

Hi guys, I'm just back from holiday and saw this thread.

I was playing with ubuntu on the live CD after downloading it and I thought is was really cool, so I took the plunge to try install it using a dual boot, I didn't want to get rid of XP just yet.

I know I don't have to tell you guys this but if your going to do this, BACK-UP BACK-UP BACK-UP!!

I did back-up all my important stuff, but didn't do the OS.

As I had nearly had 40gb of music I partitioned my boot drive to protect it too.

I started the install and my whole system fell over, gawd knows why, I had to restore my PC to factory settings, little did I know but it deleted the partition too, yip I lost all my music.

I spent the next week trying to rebuild my PC, so a very sore lesson has been learned.

Maybe when I a little braver I might try again, but I'll never go for the dual boot option.

I've also read that ubuntu could run on a USB external drive, but it has been released yet, if and when that happens I'd be very happy

from what ive heard, you need to completely wipe out everything and partition before putting any OS on it.

i might be wrong but thats what ive heard.

dont wait to get a little braver, do it now, when theres nothing on it to screw up!

• 1 month later...