Problem with Firefox 79 [fixed in v5.70]

FF 79 beta2 (latest beta): (I'm using win7 x86)

FF 79 have new storage-sync-v2.sqlite, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal files in profile folder. When I exit Firefox, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm, storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal files are kept and not deleted unlike cookies.sqlite-wal, cookies.sqlite-shm, favicons.sqlite-shm, favicons.sqlite-wal. By the way, CCleaner > Custom Clean > Applications > Firefox > "Internet Cache" option deletes all *.sqlite-shm, *.sqlite-wal, so CCleaner deletes these two files too. storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal store addon settings that uses the sync API, so I lose the addon settings changed that is not yet applyed to storage-sync-v2.sqlite. So, please don't delete *.sqlite-shm, *.sqlite-wal with that option. CCleaner > Custom Clean > Applications > Firefox > "Compact Databases" option deletes all *.sqlite-shm, *.sqlite-wal too(so, CCleaner don't have to deletes it in "Internet Cache" option), but apply these to *.sqlite files before delete it, so I don't lose my data.

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Regards.

1.png

• Moderators

It's a beta though, and I personally wouldn't have any cleaning tool (not just CCleaner) cleaning a beta version of a web browser.

Piriform have enough on their plate to keep up with Stable builds of web browsers. With beta/nightly builds of browsers they logically can't chase those and keep up because they'd likely have to release a new CCleaner version daily or weekly.

8 minutes ago, Andavari said:

It's a beta though, and I personally wouldn't have any cleaning tool (not just CCleaner) cleaning a beta version of a web browser.

Piriform have enough on their plate to keep up with Stable builds of web browsers. With beta/nightly builds of browsers they logically can't chase those and keep up because they'd likely have to release a new CCleaner version daily or weekly.

It's not beta problem. "Internet Cache" option deletes all *.sqlite-shm, *.sqlite-wal without apply these to *.sqlite files before delete it. so, if firefox is not shutting down properly and these files are remains, CCleaner will delete it and users will lose data. As I said, "Compact Databases" option deletes all *.sqlite-shm, *.sqlite-wal too, but apply these to *.sqlite files before delete it. so, CCleaner don't have to deletes it in "Internet Cache" option.

• Moderators

With it being a beta I wouldn't get any hopes of them doing anything with it, the user base of a non-stable beta would be lower compared to a stable release that will auto-update via the browser itself. Even with stable builds there's a delay and things don't get an immediate fix, and by the time they release a new version something else can change in browsers hence they're always playing catch up.

• Moderators

If there are particular files that you don't want CCleaner to clean then simply make them an 'Exclude' in the Custom Clean Options.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just installed Firefox 79.0 (release version) and can confirm the problem.

If an extension makes changes to the new "storage-sync-v2.sqlite", the files ".sqlite-shm" and ".sqlite-wal" are not inserted into the "storage-sync-v2.sqlite" when Firefox is closed. If they are deleted by the CCleaner rule "Internet Cache", all changes will be lost.

You should therefore remove the deletion of the ".sqlite-shm" and ".sqlite-wal" files from the rule "Internet Cache". It is also not necessary that these files are deleted by the rule "Internet Cache", because there is still the rule "Compact Databases".

The rule "Compact Databases" does everything right, because it merges the ".sqlite-shm" and ".sqlite-wal" files with the ".sqlite" file and compresses it afterwards.

@circcc has already written the same thing.

The only workaround is to exclude "*.sqlite-shm" and "*.sqlite-wal".

Possibly interesting: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2020/07/09/changes-to-storage-sync-in-firefox-79/#comment-226930

On 27/07/2020 at 11:08, APMichael said:

The only workaround is to exclude "*.sqlite-shm" and "*.sqlite-wal".

Should all .sqlite-shm" and ".sqlite-wal" files be excluded in CCleaner or just the storage-sync-v2 ones?

I personally exclude all ".sqlite-shm" and ".sqlite-wal" files in the Firefox profile since a long time, because it happened from time to time that Firefox databases were not closed correctly when exiting.

Drive or Folder: %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\
File Types: *.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal

(In this special case it would of course be sufficient to exclude only the files for the "storage-sync-v2.sqlite".)

This is the line from the ccleaner.ini:

Exclude1=PATH|%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\|*.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal||0|0|24

(But you do not actually have to edit the .ini directly. Under Options > Exclude > Add you can also enter the path and files.)

Thanks for showing your line, I just wanted to make sure my wildcards were correct. :)

I'm aware you can do that from within CCleaner, but CCleaner dosn't do wildcards, it'll show the complete path instead of shortened "%AppData%" for example, yours, and now mine is much cleaner, simpler and even a little more private.

• Moderators

For those who don't have a ccleaner.ini, or don't want to edit it manually, you can apply the exclusion/workaround like this:

After using Firefox close it again.
Open ccleaner and go to Custom Clean.
Click on Analyze
Double click on 'Firefox - Internet Cache' (You may need to expand the window to see the full pathnames, but they may be the only two files there).
Right click on '...\storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal'
Click on 'Add to Exclude list'
Right click on '...\storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm'
Job done.

Note also that Exclusions only apply to Custom Clean, Health Check ignores Exclusions.

PS. If you don't have your Firefox synced with a Firefox account then you don't need this workaround.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

...PS. If you don't have your Firefox synced with a Firefox account then you don't need this workaround.

Just an FYI that multiple users who do not use Firefox Sync have reported that CCleaner v5.69 wiped the custom settings of NoScript and other Firefox extensions in the Norton Tech Outpost thread Firefox 79.0 to be Released July 28.

I use Firefox ESR v68.11.0 (the extended support release of Firefox) so I haven't been affected by this CCleaner bug, but I've disabled all Firefox cleaning in my CCleaner settings and will only use Firefox's built-in browser history cleaning (Tools | Options | Privacy & Security | History |Clear history when Firefox closes | Settings)  until a bug fix is released.  It's unfortunate that someone from Avast/Piriform didn't investigate sooner when the OP circcc first reported this issue back on 01-Jul-2020 with an early beta release of FF 79.   Kudos to them for at least trying to get someone's attention.
------------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.900 * Firefox ESR v68.11.0 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.69.7865

• Moderators

For anyone using Firefox ESR Portable from PortableApps here's the exclusion (assuming you're also using CCleaner Portable)

Example 1:
Exclude1=PATH|C:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\*\|*.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal||0|0|24

Example 2:
Exclude1=PATH|P:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile\*\|*.sqlite-shm;*.sqlite-wal||0|0|24

I solved the Firefox 79 issue and the issue with NoScript!  I just now uninstalled CCleaner (paid version).  Ta-Da problem gone!  Although there are workarounds posted in the messages above, why should I have to patch CCleaner for it's core functionality--- working seamlessly with a web browser.

I will check back occasionally.  Hopefully one of you will post up when the problem is fixed.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, dunegoon said:

why should I have to patch CCleaner for it's core functionality--- working seamlessly with a web browser.

Partly tounge-in-cheek, but:

Remember that it is the browser that changed things, not CCleaner which now has to catch up with what the browser programmers changed (as will all other 3rd party cleaners).

So shouldn't you really be shouting at mozilla for changing things in the first place?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, nukecad said:

So shouldn't you really be shouting at mozilla for changing things in the first place?

On the other hand it is up to CCleaner devs to check these things.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Yes, I did say tounge-in-cheek.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, nukecad said:

1 minute ago, hazelnut said:

On the other hand it is up to CCleaner devs to check these things.

Well it's a little from Column A and a little from Column B.  Betas are quite the moving target, and we don't always get responses from the developers of the software that we are cleaning in a timely fashion to action appropriately on a monthly release cycle.

As mentioned previously, we're (still) looking at a rearchitecture of the way cleaning rules are delivered so that they can be served up a bit like Antivirus pattern files.  That way we can respond much faster to any changes, and we don't have to have the massive overhead of a complete rebuild and release every time a rule needs to be updated ... at least for people who aren't blocking CCleaner ;) 

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Quick Update: While we work on getting out a fix, users can work around this issue by disabling a cleaning option in CCleaner:

• If using Custom Clean: in the Firefox section, disable the Internet Cache setting. This affects Firefox cleaning only.
  • If using Health Check: after analyzing, in the 'Privacy' section, disable the Temporary Internet Files option before completing a clean. This affects cleaning of Firefox and other browsers.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 03/08/2020 at 14:50, nukecad said:

For those who don't have a ccleaner.ini, or don't want to edit it manually, you can apply the exclusion/workaround like this:

After using Firefox close it, open ccleaner and go to Custom Clean.
Click on Analyze
Double click on 'Firefox - Internet Cache' (You may need to expand the window to see the full pathnames, but they may be the only two files there).
Right click on '...\storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal'
Right click on '...\storage-sync-v2.sqlite-shm'
Job done.

Note also that Exclusions only apply to Custom Clean, Health Check ignores Exclusions.

PS. If you don't have your Firefox synced with a Firefox account then you don't need this workaround.

This method is perfectly valid as well, and is what we recommend for more experienced CCleaner users.

Thank you to nukecad for the steps above, to APMichael for the .ini method and to Andavari for the Firefox portable guide.

And finaly, thank you to circcc for originally flagging this. My apologies that we didn't address this sooner. We're working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.