Defragging result differs for different users

werp

On my Windows 10 box I have two users -- an administrative and a regular user.  When I defrag first on the administrative user side, I am able to clean up nearly all fragments.  If I immediately sign out and sign into the regular user and run defragger, I get a whole lot of fragmented files. (Doing so requires me to give the Defragger access using the User Account Control screen and input the admin password.  So the defragger is obvious running in Admin mode with Admin permissions.)
   What gives?  Why is there a discrepancy?  I thought perhaps that it has to do with administrative rights to the disk, but the administrative user has all rights to the disk, so that conclusion is wrong.  I would appreciate your insights and suggestions on efficiently defragging the entire hard drive.

• Moderators

Admin rights are not quite that simple with Win10.

There are Admin users, regular users can have temporarily elevated (admin) privileges via the UAC (Run as administrator) but that's not quite the same as an Admin user, - and then there is the 'hidden' Windows Administrator which has more rights than the others.

I've not really looked into the differences between an Admin user and a regular user with temporarily elevated privileges.

I suspect that an admin account still does not have full privileges to other user accounts/files which is why you are seeing different results?

PS. The 'hidden' Windows Administrator is  'hidden' for a reason and should not be used as a regular account, that would be a big security risk.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Here is an article about Windows Integrity Levels and user access. (It also briefly mentions the 'hidden' Windows Administrator).
https://www.techspot.com/guides/1718-run-as-administrator-explained/

Still doesn't realy explain what you are seeing though.

You might be interested in - 'holding only Shift while you right-click on the file will add "Run as a different user..." to the context menu'.
Which would allow you to run apps as the regular user without having to sign out of your admin account and sign in as the user.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043