License shows as active but receiving expired popups [fixed]

Hi everyone,

I have recently renewed ccleaner for two years and it shows in the license information.

However, from time to time, an error pops up, saying that the license has expired and should be renewed.

What do I do?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Zappenduster

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Zappenduster said:

Hi everyone,

I have recently renewed ccleaner for two years and it shows in the license information.

However, from time to time, an error pops up, saying that the license has expired and should be renewed.

What do I do?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Zappenduster

Sounds a bit like an error we had with the licensing server last year that it would report expiry when it was down - but even during outages it should no longer be doing that.  Can you confirm a couple of things for us please:

• When you say "in the license information" you mean the information showing from https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup? Or from Options > About > License Information in the CCleaner console?
  • Are the errors that pop up text-only windows in the middle of the screen, or alerts in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen?  If the latter, do they refer to your licence being "expired" or being "invalid"?  When did the last one appear? Is it possible to grab a screenshot next time it pops up?
  • Have you had any other licence keys other than the one that you are currently using (ending with U84F)?
  • Which Windows version are you using?  And which version of CCleaner?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

7 minutes ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Sounds a bit like an error we had with the licensing server last year that it would report expiry when it was down - but even during outages it should no longer be doing that.  Can you confirm a couple of things for us please:

• When you say "in the license information" you mean the information showing from https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup? Or from Options > About > License Information in the CCleaner console?
  • Are the errors that pop up text-only windows in the middle of the screen, or alerts in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen?  If the latter, do they refer to your licence being "expired" or being "invalid"?  When did the last one appear? Is it possible to grab a screenshot next time it pops up?
  • Have you had any other licence keys other than the one that you are currently using (ending with U84F)?
  • Which Windows version are you using?  And which version of CCleaner?

The errors pop up in the right-hand corner.
The license strings ends as you say; and I cannot find a reference to another license in recent years.
I am using Windows 10 Pro 1909 and v5.67.7763 64bit of ccleaner.

I have exactly the same thing and it is annoying. When I start my PC the first thing that pops up in the bottom right corner is a message that my license has expired. It stays there for something like 30 seconds or so and then vanishes. The exact message is: "The license key that you are using has expired".

I have a fast PC and a fast internet connection. It feels as though CCleaner is already checking license information before it is completely ready to do so.

• Admin

@markusdnx: In your case I note that you have two licence keys: one starting with PZZ4 that expires in April 2022 and one starting with PM3A that expired in March of last year.  If you go to Options > About > License Information, can I confirm that it is the PZZ4 and not the PM3A key that you are using on the machine getting that expiry popup?

If you are using the PZZ4 key, when is the last time that you rebooted your computer?

Edited by Dave CCleaner
added additional question

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

7 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

@markusdnx: In your case I note that you have two licence keys: one starting with PZZ4 that expires in April 2022 and one starting with PM3A that expired in March of last year.  If you go to Options > About > License Information, can I confirm that it is the PZZ4 and not the PM3A key that you are using on the machine getting that expiry popup?

If you are using the PZZ4 key, when is the last time that you rebooted your computer?

That is a good idea and it seems to lead into the right direction.
It looks, You have a problem with your license management.

ccleaner license3.png

ccleaner license4.png

1 hour ago, Zappenduster said:

That is a good idea and it seems to lead into the right direction.
It looks, You have a problem with your license management.

ccleaner license3.png

ccleaner license4.png

The key that I am using starts with PZZ4 and I reboot my computer twice a day.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Zappenduster said:

I do not have a pzz4 key. I was sent the pm3a key when I renewed.

The pzz4 key is the mark's key not yours

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Zappenduster said:

There is more than one key that starts with a pzz4.
Read the post from David up there.

No, I have read it.  It was literally posted just for him.  Though I wish mark had posted his own thread as this was your issue initially. Your license that dave refers to ends in U84F

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

52 minutes ago, Nergal said:

No, I have read it.  It was literally posted just for him.  Though I wish mark had posted his own thread as this was your issue initially. Your license that dave refers to ends in U84F

You are right, I missed that. I am confused.

• Admin
On 18/06/2020 at 08:38, markusdnx said:

The key that I am using starts with PZZ4 and I reboot my computer twice a day.

So it looks like this happens under a certain set of circumstances after a manual renewal where the new expiry date shows correctly in the licence information screen but the old expiry date gets "stuck" on the client.  Hoping to get a proper fix in for CCleaner 5.69 (version 5.68 is already being queued up for release) but in the meantime we're looking to do a bulk flush of all such cases on the licence server to fix all currently impacted users over the next few days.

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to License shows as active but receiving expired popups [fixed]
  • Admin
On 20/06/2020 at 19:28, Dave CCleaner said:

Hoping to get a proper fix in for CCleaner 5.69 (version 5.68 is already being queued up for release) but in the meantime we're looking to do a bulk flush of all such cases on the licence server to fix all currently impacted users over the next few days.

... and it looks like we managed to implement a fix earlier today.  For previously impacted users, the trigger for the renewal reminder popups should now sync correctly with the licence expiry information shown in the product.  @Zappenduster @markusdnx: let me know if this pops up again prematurely.