CCleaner won't open since recent Windows Update

I updated Windows 10 earlier this week based on 2020-06-02.  I just tried to run my CCleaner for the first since then today and it won’t open.  I rebooted and it still won’t open.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and CCleaner won’t install.

Did MS – in their infinite wisdom – change a setting again like they in so many recent Win10 updates – that is keeping CCleaner from opening??   It worked perfectly fine last weekend when I ran it – before the most recent Windows update.

All of my other virus, cleaning software works fine – Norton, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiVirus, etc.

Thanks

• Moderators

It's working fine on Win10 2004 here, but Personal Computers are, well personalised, and it may be that the Windows Update has changed a setting on yours that it didn't change on mine?

Are you getting any error message when trying to install CCleaner?

As this was following a Windows update then I'd check that Settings>apps>'Choose where to get apps' has not been set to only allow installing apps from the MS store.
(I've seen an update change that one before).

With failed install issues we usually suggest downloading the 'Slim' installer from here and seeing if that will install sucessfully:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

If the Slim installer still won't install CCleaner then try the suggestions in the following thread:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/5739-solution-when-ccleaner-wont-install-or-download-windows/

Note in those tips the distinction between 'Reboot' and 'Restart'.
(With Win 10 a restart actually clears more than a shutdown and reboot).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks nukecad for suggestions I tried them all - including the "other possible solutions when CCleaner won't install".

I tried ccSlim & ccPortable with no luck.  It tries to install CCleaner & ccSlim but closes at about the 92% point. ccPortable installed but wouldn’t run – it seems to have issues with the new Health Check, which must be a new feature Avast tried to add.

I have Windows 10 Home Version 1909 and run Norton 360 as my virus/firewall protection. Windows Defender isn’t used other than the occasional virus scan

I installed Windows 3 updates on 6/2/2020 (CCleaner v5.67 ran fine on 5/31/2020):

1 – KB4497165: Intel microcode updates
2 – May 12, 2020-KB4552931 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909
3 – May 12, 2020—KB4556799 (OS Builds 18362.836 and 18363.836)

I was running CCleaner v5.67 without a problem until the 6/2/2020 Windows Update.  I uninstalled v5.67 when it wouldn't run and then tried to reinstall - with no luck. I even tried to install v5.66 without any success.

I tried turning off Norton 360 – which says CCleaner is an approved software (it has a bunch of different CCleaner software approved - CCleaner, Ccleaner64, CCslim, CCportable, etc.).  I'm not sure if I should remove all of the approved CCleaner software from Norton and let it start fresh or not.  I also excluded CCleaner from both Norton and Defender – with no success.

Edited by blueboy714

• Moderators

About all I can think of extra at the moment is to make sure that Norton is up to date, from the Norton website not just from within itself.

We saw an issue back in April/May where some AV's were blocking CCleaner from installing or running.
It seems that with covid-19 lockdowns the AV's were slow to update their definitions for new CCleaner versions.

But even more confusing was that at least one, Trend Micro, would report that it was up to date when a user clicked 'Check for Updates', but it was the 2018/2019 version that was 'up to date'.
When those users went to the Trend website and updated to the 2020 version from the site then the block on CCleaner stopped happening for them.

PS.
Looking at this I've only just noticed that there are two versions of Norton 360 in use out there, - the older Norton 360™ and the newer Norton™ 360 released last year.
I don't know if that would make any difference to blocking CCleaner?
https://uk.norton.com/360

... for users of our legacy Norton 360™ solutions, we encourage you to try out Norton™ 360. Norton™ 360 brings multiple layers of protection for your devices and online privacy. Innovative protection that includes online privacy protection with Norton™ Secure VPN to help secure your public Wi-Fi connections. And Safecam for PC, to help you block unauthorized access to your webcam.

For real time protection I use Defender, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit stand alone (not the full Malwarebytes4), and Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Firefox.
All free and as much protection as most will need.
Then I'll run a weekly scan with the full Malwarebytes4 (free) just as a double check.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Exactly the same problem. Windows 10 updated last night now CCleaner [5.67] will not work. Tried all the above solutions, and others. Instal stops at about 94%. No messages. Nothing.

• Moderators

Is it just CCleaner that has been affected?

We had a user last week report that 7 apps had stopped running following the Windows update to version 2004.
After a day or so they all started working again.

These days when Windows updates it downloads the needed files, but it may not install all of them for a day or so. (Especially if you turn your machine off following an update).
If you leave your machine on and keep an eye on task manager following an update you can see that the system is still working/updating in the background for as much as a couple of hours afterwards.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

We had a user last week report that 7 apps had stopped running following the Windows update to version 2004.

These days when Windows updates it downloads the needed files, but it may not install all of them for a day or so. (Especially if you turn your machine off following an update).
If you leave your machine on and keep an eye on task manager following an update you can see that the system is still working/updating in the background for as much as a couple of hours afterwards.

I haven't switched to 2004 yet - I have Windows 10 Home Version 1909.  I don't allow Windows to automatically install updates - I do them manually.

It is just CCleaner that is crashing.  I uninstalled Norton and still had the same problem with CCleaner not installing.  I took it to the PC shop where I bought my PC and the tech was able to get CCleaner installed again for a service charge fee, but it crashes when you try to Scan/Analyze the PC or go to Options > Cookies.  Anything else and doesn't crash - I can check my registry, etc.

I gave up and figure Avast must have done something to CCleaner and I've switched to [COMPETITION] temporarily until someone can figure what to do.

Edited by Nergal
edited out competition software

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

Without checking all the hundred or so apps on my PC, only CCleaner is affected.

• Moderators

They were common/everyday use apps that were affected for that user, no need to check obscure stuff - it was just a thought.

There is obviously something odd happening with some users machines which is why  we are getting these reports, but it's not with most machines or everybody would be shouting.

It's a question of working out just what is causing the issue, and that's always harder to work out when it's affecting some but not others.
The trick is to try and find out just what is different on the affected machines.
Which means collecting the reports and trying to spot if there is something in common between them.

One idea - I remember not too long ago Windows 10 having issues with Avast AV (which I don't use) and PC's that use ASUS hardware (which I do - motherboard, wi-fi router, monitor, etc.).  Did Avast sneak something into CCleaner that is causing more Windows 10 issues?

• 1 month later...

Bump - I just tried to install version 5.69 (free) on my computer and CCleaner won't install.  I have been without CCleaner since June and no one at CCleaner has been able to solve the problem. 

I tried all of the fixes that the moderators mentioned - but nothing works.  If I can't get the free version to install on my computer why should I buy the darn thing?

• Moderators

When you have the CCleaner installer on your machine try disconnecting from the internet.

Now try and install CCleaner.

Then connect to the internet again.

This has worked for some with install issues.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

18 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

When you have the CCleaner installer on your machine try disconnecting from the internet.

Now try and install CCleaner.

Then connect to the internet again.

This has worked for some with install issues.

Hazelnut - do you have a preferred way to disconnect from internet (i.e. unplug connection/turn off wi-fi router/etc.)??

2 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

Not really. Just do which ever way you find easiest for you.

I disabled the ethernet, wi-fi, etc. and at least when I tried to open the ccsetup569.exe file - it installed up to 93% and then closed.  BUT it still didn't install.

Edited by blueboy714