Warning Message

dhorvitz

I am about to download ccsetup567.exe. I get this warning message: "This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep ccsetup567.exe anyway? What should I do? I have never received this type of message when updating CCleaner before.

Edited by dhorvitz

• Moderators

Basically it's a warning that the app your are downloading (in this case CCleaner) contains advanced features that could cause problems for your computer if used incorrectly.

(These warnings are meant for inexperienced users - they're a bit like a mother warning chidren not to cross the road on their own).

Which application is showing you this message?
I'm assuming that it's your antivirus showing the message, so which antivirus are you using?
It could also be something that's built into your browser.

Some AV's, and other security measures, do not like the fact that CCleaner (still) includes a registry cleaner.
Microsoft themselves keep changing their mind about it, occasionally Windows will show such a warning most of the time it won't.

And they are quite correct that using the Registry Cleaner can harm your computer - If it is used wrongly, or blindly by someone who is not familiar with the workings of the Registry.

We do see posts on here at  times from people who have run the Registy Cleaner blithely without understanding what it is intended to be used for, and so have 'broken' their registry.
Often that means that they have to reinstall Windows again from scratch.
If you don't understand the Registry then don't run any Registry Cleaner, Especially do not run a registry cleaner if you have Windows 10.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043