Recovering files - Insufficient disk space

Ultientrpz

Recuva scanned my 8TB drive and found 7,452 GB of files and folders.  I tried to recover the contents to a new 8TB drive.  I'm getting the message: 

"Insufficient disk space!

Available: 7,452 GB

Necessary: 11,142 GB.

Do you want to change the destination folder?"

What do I need to do to recover the 8TB to my new 8 TB?

Recuva Error Message about insufficient recovery space 6-2-2020.PNG

• Moderators

To start with don't restore those red marked files they're dead.  It found many old files making the total size of found files bigger than the 8tb

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Nergal.  Thanks for that suggestion.  I ended up spanning an 8TB & 4TB as a backup drive and recovered the drive having issues.  That had been my main backup drive previously and had just had it fail a SMART test recently.  So just needed to get everything off of it before it failed anmd couldn't.

• 3 weeks later...

1265055369_ScreenShot06-28-20at11_01PM.thumb.PNG.afc7b22eb8d12d47cefa6e2407e3475c.PNGI have the same issue with a 1 TB drive requiring a 5 TB space requirement. Am in the midst of deleting all the red dots.

Have 5 $BadClus 976,575,480 KB on a 1 TB drive? Guess that is why it wanted 5 TB of space.

None are overwritten, 1 is not deleted and the other 4 are in excellent to recover. Supposedly, I deleted, or overwrote all the red ones, but still came up with the same #s. 

Edited by duhg
add photo

• Moderators

Don't attempt to recover the files at the top of the list starting with $. They are system files, they will exist on the drive you are recovering to, you can't restore them anyway, and even if you could they would be invalid. Some of them are sparse files which means that they theoretically are as large as the device.

My eyes are really shot. I thought it was a "$" but it is a "S" So, after 12 hours, and only 59%, and 0 files recovered, I stopped it. Just woke up and saw your reply. Looked in the folder I was sending to and saw 3 SBadClus with 0 KB. Properties stated Size 0 bytes, and Size on disk 932 GB (1,000,845,197,312 bytes), Thanks for your reply and help. I will just skip all the files with the "S" in front followed by another capital letter that does not look like a file I had, as they are useless to me, if I am reading you correctly.

Originally, my 1TB Verbatim external, took too many falls, and as soon as it started to make some rattling noises, I started the process of transferring files to another drive. I got side tracked, and just started up again.When I plugged the drive in, it showed nothing. 0 bytes, 931 gb free space. I made a folder and it recognizes the folder. That is where I stopped. I downloaded Recuva, and here I am again.

Back in 2015, my XP PC died a blue screen death. I took the drive and attempted to recover files with Recuva. Puran seems to pop into mind. I will have to make another attempt with that file of info.

Thank you very much for saving hours of time and getting nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

From my 8TB drive, Recuva was able to find over 10,000,000,000 files.  There are a tremendous amount of unrecoverable files along with the good ones.  I reorganized the files using the unrecoverable column.  Is there a way to select a range of files or do you have to check or uncheck what to recover?  I checked all and have been going through over 100 pages of unrecoverable unchecking individual files.  I'm in the Z's starting from the bottom of the list.  So I know there are probably thousands more of the unrecoverable files filling pages.  I've been working on this since my first posting.

I look forward to an easier way to do this if possible.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ultientrpz said:

Is there a way to select a range of files or do you have to check or uncheck what to recover?

For contiguous selection: Click the top of the selection you want, press and hold shift and click the botton selection. Click in a checkbox within the selection that should check all in the group.

For non-contiguous selection: click items you want to recover while holding the ctrl key.  Once the ones you want are selected stop holding the ctrl key and click the checkbox for one of the selected. Thus should check all the selected.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I had tried that in previous attempts like I do using file explorer, and it didn't work those times.  This time it did work and saved me a tremendous amount of time.  According to the scroll bar, approximately 25% was unrecoverable.  Thank you for suggesting I try it again.  This time when I did the file discovery, it said I was going to need 16TB space to recover to.  I spanned 2 x 8TB drives to be my backup so shouldn't have any trouble recovering to that.