Can no longer install

I've been trying to update my version of the app for a couple of months now
I have the program installed on a secondary drive as opposed to C drive
when I click on the install button after customizing I'm met with a white screen and nothing else, the program fails to install / fails to give any sort of error message

I've relegated myself to using the portable version now, even though I have UAC disabled I still run the program as admin & have full access rights too all drives on this pc
I'm at a loss on what could be causing this so I've come here for help.

4lSx1O5DL4.png

• Moderators

Wjat Windows version? What antivirus do you use?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

11 hours ago, Nergal said:

Wjat Windows version? What antivirus do you use?

Sorry about that!

Win 10 Pro x64 version 1909, windows Defender.

I should know better than to half ass a support request at this point.

• Moderators

Does it install on the C drive okay?

What can you tell us about the set up of the other drive you are trying to update CCleaner on.

Was it running okay on that drive using a previous version of CCleaner?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

On 01/06/2020 at 14:28, hazelnut said:

Does it install on the C drive okay?

What can you tell us about the set up of the other drive you are trying to update CCleaner on.

Was it running okay on that drive using a previous version of CCleaner?

I install it to a secondary drive (not C)

I have however tried both C & E drives with the same results of a white screen after pressing the install button.
I'm not sure if the program install is hanging or if it's actually running but when I check the directory where it would be written there's no data for it
and it just closes without asking if I'm sure when I click the X to cancel

EDIT: I forgot to  mention that yes it was up until about three or four months ago it started working just fine

Edited by R_Ansar

I upgraded to W10 and sometime after that I could no and cannot update CC.  Same Blank Screen after the Install button hit.  I use Webroot and Malwarebytes, but disabled both several times and nothing.  previous upgrades worked well even with both on.   W10 Pro, V: 1909; OS Build:18363.836

Core i5-3330 w/8GB RAM.

Any thoughts?  I don't know what to do, especially now that I uninstall the V 5.65 that was on there.  I'll take that one back.  It worked.  I just cannot update!

• Moderators

Are you trying to update by checking for updates from within CCleaner itself?

Try downloading the 'Slim' installer from here and double clicking on the downloaded 'ccsetup567_slim.exe'
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue as the OP, though mine is a new install (someone in my company's IT department just recommended the program to me). I get the same screen. I'm running Windows 10 with Norton Security Suite. I turned off Norton for 15 minutes to try to run, no dice. I tried the "Slim" option, as suggested above, same. I can open the executable from the download folder, I hit "yes" that I want to allow it to make changes to my computer, and then I get the same blank screen that the OP shared above. Help?

Edited by jamieresearch

• Moderators

The developers are looking into this, but as it's only happening sometimes and only for some users, and the vast majority are not having this problem then it's hard to track down just what is causing it.

Something to double check just in case: In Windows go to Settings>Apps and check that you don't have 'Choose where to get apps' set to 'The Microsoft Store only'.
Probably not, but it's worth double checking.

To work around the install problem if it is affecting you:

You can have CCleaner without installing it, - download the portable .zip version from the same 'builds' page as the Slim.
It's intended to be portable on a USB stick so technicians can carry it round with them to different computers, but you can also put it on your computer.

Unzip the files from ccsetup568.zip into a suitable folder (make a new one for it - C:\Program Files\CCleaner ?) and double click on ccleaner.exe or ccleaner64.exe to run CCleaner. If you have 64-bit then clicking either one will work.
(With modern Windows versions you don't even need to unzip it, just double click the exe from within the zip file, it will take longer to load that way though as it has to unzip each time).
It isn't installed, so won't show up in the start menus etc., and if you want an icon on your desktop you will have to make a shortcut to the .exe yourself.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Probably a long shot however something else to check is make sure Internet Explorer isn't set to Work Offline mode - even though Win10 doesn't necessarily use it. Although with Win10 I haven't the foggiest clue if that will cause a failed installation like it definitely would back in the WinXP days when an installer needed to phone home or even download data from the web.

• Admin

So that big white empty box in OP's first post looks like the "would you like fries with that" screen in the installer. 

Just for some context, the free version of CCleaner is subsidised by showing ads to some users on a CPA model - if enough users say "yes" to the fries (currently either Avast free antivirus, AVG free antivirus or an Avast VPN trial) and they use it, like it and eventually end up buying it then we earn enough to keep the servers running (or, better yet, as we did last year, start replacing the ones that were creaking at the seams with shiny new ones).

Previously that was a banner at the bottom of the first screen of the installer that some people would miss and accidentally say "yes" to fries that they didn't actually want and then would immediately uninstall it - which meant that they didn't use it, didn't like it and certainly didn't buy it.  So we didn't get paid and the users got angry, which was a bit of a lose-lose situation all round.

So we overhauled the whole thing and put the offers on their own screen* with clear accept and decline buttons and as a safety measure the whole thing served as a single object so that in the event of a slow internet connection or some other connectivity mishap there should, in theory, be no way that a user could skip through the process without seeing the "fries" offer.  So while in a way it is "good" that the safety measure seems to be working for @R_Ansar, even on the slowest internet connection, the ~100kb of frame content should not take so long to load that it would take more than a couple of seconds for the content to appear.  Unless the server had temporarily choked - but even then I would not expect to see it happen on multiple install attempts.
* yeah, we know, except for the Chrome offer.  While that is also on a CPA model (you have to actually use the thing before we get paid), that's a whole 'nother thing and still work in progress because of Reasons.

On 03/06/2020 at 19:41, R_Ansar said:

EDIT: I forgot to  mention that yes it was up until about three or four months ago it started working just fine

That was the timeframe when we rolled out this new offer layout (from the 5.64 release in March of this year).  @R_Ansar: did you have any problems with installing CCleaner on version 5.62 or earlier at any time prior to September 2019? 

On 31/05/2020 at 05:35, R_Ansar said:

Win 10 Pro x64 version 1909, windows Defender.

Okay so that doesn't sound like one of the "outdated AV" issues we've seen with some third-party AV software. @R_Ansar: Do you have a firewall running that might be blocking the server that delivers this content?  Any edits to the Windows hosts file to NULL-map any of our servers so that they can't be reached?  Although using the "slim installer" cuts out the "fries" screen, if the root cause is a blocking of the servers then this may lead to some oddities using the product itself after it is installed, as the same servers that deliver the "fries" content are also used to serve up some of the in-product content as well.

9 hours ago, jamieresearch said:

I tried the "Slim" option, as suggested above, same

@jamieresearch: okay that is another layer of odd since there is no "fries" screen on the slim installer.  Is blank screen the first one you see?  Or the second one after the one with the licence agreement, customise link, etc? Could I trouble you to screenshot it for me please?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Admin
6 hours ago, ht1seals said:

I have Windows 10 home, version 2004, OS build 19041.329, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0 and Norton 360 and it is the up to date and CCleaner 568 does nothing I get the white screen.

Annotation 2020-06-30 074711.jpg

Is this blank screen the first one you see?  Or the second one after the one with the licence agreement, customise link, etc?  Was this downloaded from CCleaner.com or a third party website? Have you had any difficulties in the past with previous versions of CCleaner?  Have you customised your hosts files or your firewall software to block your computer from reaching any of our web servers?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes