Windows 10 2004 fully released

nukecad

• Moderators

Windows 10 2004 is now fully released to Market and rolling out.

I've just installed it and am using it now.

It is not being rolled out as an Automatic Update yet, it's only available if you 'Check for Updates' - but they are 'throttling' distribution so it may not be offered to you yet.

It wasn't being offered by 'Check for Updates' on my laptop,  but I got round that by downloading the Windows 10 Update Assistant and running that.
More of a 'reinstall, keeping files and apps' than an upgrade, so it does take longer to upgrade that way, and some of your customised settings will be lost.

If you are not sure about using Upgrade Assistant to shortcut things then wait until the upgrade is offered to you by Microsoft.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Still not offered in UK here this morning so I've made an iso via the Media Creation Tool and will be doing an upgrade on this PC when I've finished my morning forum runs.

I may also use it to do a clean install on a laptop just to see what's what.

As I have Macrium images I'm not worried if it goes wrong :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

2004 seems to be running OK here.

It did change my colour scheme back to light for the start menu and taskbar, (but not for settings menus?), and for some reason turned on the taskbar labels.
Probably a consequence of using the Update Assistant rather than Windows Updates.
Soon sorted those out.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Windows 10 2004 known issues.

There are nine 'Comaptability Holds', so if you are not being offered the update then it may be because it's not compatible with your machine yet.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-investigating-ten-windows-10-2004-known-issues/

Neighbor got it today via Update Assistant.  Took time but working fine.  I got it yesterday via Windows Update.  Working okay after some strange glitches after some restarts -- but all is fine now.  Reliability History said Microsoft Outlook shut down unexpectedly -- I don't have it on my computer.  Then later, same notification for Cortana.  Well, I'm using a local account and as of Win 10 2004, Cortana only works with a Microsoft Account.  Neither message has returned.

Also, new version of CCleaner 5.67.7763 is working perfectly with 2004 on my rig.  

Stay healthy and safe!

• Moderators

After being OK following the 2004 update I shut down at lunchtime and booted again this evening.

Very slow boot compared to 1909.
Firefox was also very slow to launch.

Worse - the blue 'busy' circle next to the cursor was constantly flashing on and off every half a second, very distracting.
I've not seen that happen for a number of years now.
Obviously some process was stuck looping in the background, but I couldn't see what process.

After 5 minutes of that I'd had enough and did a restart, very slow again compared to 1909, at least it sorted out the cursor issue.

I'll put the cursor glitch down to a teething issue (for now), but the much slower boot/restart to a usable desktop is disappointing.

Another oddity this morning was that CCleaner was reporting 'skipping' both IE cookies and (old) Edge cookies, neither of which was running of course.
That stopped after an hour or so and has not come back.
I guess that something was still tidying-up the upgrade process in the background and using IE/Edge cookie storage locations, so CCleaner couldn't clean them.

I've been running Chrome Edge for quite some time with legacy Edge in the background.  Using CCleaner's analyze in custom clean, CCleaner would always show one or two of the legacy Edge's icons.  After getting 2004 a day ago, no more legacy Edge icons show up to clean.  I'm suspecting 2004 has buried old Edge very deep and neutered it -- if you're running Chrome Edge.  Eventually, legacy Edge is supposed to be removed from Win 10 altogether.

This 2004 feature update does have lots of problems and other forums are buzzing with some really strange things.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my luck continues but nothing surprises me.  It certainly doesn't seem to be ready for prime time.

• Moderators

You would not have been offered it through Windows Update if any of those particular issues affected your machine.

They are not issues that have been 'found' since the launch, they were already known about and the list was issued at the same time as the launch.

There is a 'Comaptability Hold' so that machines affected by those particular issues will not be offered the upgrade through Windows Update.

• Moderators

Having a look around the web I see a lot of shouting, warnings, (and some scaremongering), about those 10 issues that were already know about before the launch and so already have a Hold on offering the upgrade if your machine may be affected.

Of course anyone who circumvents the Windows Update holds and upgrades by other methods, such as the Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant, may fall foul of one of those known issues.

I've not yet come across any issue reported by anyone who has actually installed the upgrade to 2004.

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

I've not yet come across any issue reported by anyone who has actually installed the upgrade to 2004.

There is one issue that has not been mentioned in any of the stories on the web which was relayed to Microsoft months ago, reportedly fixed in preview builds, but exists in the current build of 2004.  The Defragment and Optimize Drives tool, for a great number of people who are using solid state drives, reports that optimization is needed within minutes after optimization is run.  And, the schedule for running the tool is changed behind the scenes from 'weekly' to 'daily'.  

• Moderators
On 28/05/2020 at 19:38, crizal said:

The Defragment and Optimize Drives tool, for a great number of people who are using solid state drives, reports that optimization is needed within minutes after optimization is run.

Win10 has issues with external/portable SSDs, safely remove them and plug them in a few minutes later and it doesn't remember having just optimized the SSD with Trim minutes earlier. They should fix or implement remembering that, and preferably keep the last date and time for the device/hardware ID optimization in the registry - or since they're so damned insistent on creating locked System Volume Information on every disk type they could store it in that locked folder.

5 hours ago, Andavari said:

Win10 has issues with external/portable SSDs, safely remove them and plug them in a few minutes later and it doesn't remember having just optimized the SSD with Trim minutes earlier. They should fix or implement remembering that, and preferably keep the last date and time for the device/hardware ID optimization in the registry - or since they're so damned insistent on creating locked System Volume Information on every disk type they could store it in that locked folder.

My rig just has an HDD, no SSD.  But it doesn't take a genius to see your point makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...