Really slowed things down

Since installing CCleaner Browser, really like it, except......slowed everything down markedly, on both computers installed on.  Both are Windows 7 machines, one Pro, one Home.

When starting up after cold start, I check Task Manager and find that in Processes, CCleaner64 appears, but not browser.  When I open CCleanerBrowser, it opens  CCleanerBrowser.exe multiple times (right now for instances, it shows 16 instances (in Processes), using a variety of memory sizes between 1,800 to 54 K + and everything between.  Trust me, I didn't open Browser 16 times!  In fact was careful to only open it once.   The other computer, an older laptop, is virtually unusable if CCleanerBrowser is running at all.  This computer, much newer is severly limited.  In TaskManager under Applications it only shows up as running once.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

Multiple processes showing in Task Manager are normal for a Chrome/Chromium browser. (and Firefox browser as well).
Components are opened as separate processes so that if one, say a webpage or an extension, crashes then it doesn't crash the whole browser.

Whether you see them all or just see one entry depends on if you have expanded the entry or not.

See the screenshot in the first post here which shows the Chrome processes expanded:
(If the list wasn't expanded it would just show the first line (with the arrow turned 90 degrees), ie.  "> Google Chrome (33)"
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2064254?hl=en

(PS. CCleaner64.exe is the cleaner not the browser. It will be showing after a boot because you have 'Smart Cleaning' enabled).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Sorry, I didn't talk about the slowness which is your main issue.
Here are few things to look at:

When CC browser is running how much CPU percentage does task manager say it is using overall?
(see below).

Are you only seeing a slowdown when using CCleaner browser?

What is the speed like if you Close CC browser then open exactly the same webpages in 'old' Edge or the new Edge Chromium? (If you have those on your Win 7) or Internet Explorer?
How much of the CPU are they using?

With CCleaner browser closed check the task manager to see if something else is using a lot of CPU or disk access.

Many things can cause a computer to run slowly, for example:
Webpages with lots of video or frequently updated content can slow things down.
A slow internet connection for some reason.
Something running in the background. (You AV or Windows Defender running a background scan, Windows Update, Windows Defragmenter, etc.,etc.).
Not forgetting the age of the computer itself, programmers can tend to use all the features of newer hardware and so older CPU's and graphic chips may struggle to run with newer apps.

To give an example of how a particular webpage can slow things down- This is Firefox not CC browser, but it gives the idea and you can see here that as I was typing this it was using a total of 9.2% CPU in six processes.
image.png

If I then open a new tab and start to play a video in Youtube Firefox will open another 2 processes and the CPU usage will jump up to 48.5%, it also starts accessing the internet to stream.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 4 months later...

Sometimes I notice that my computer is slowing down, and I can also hear the hard drive spinning for a few seconds. So I open the Task Manager to see what's holding things up, and there are about a hundred items listed. Right now I can see CCleaner listed seventeen times. Will it help to close all the CCleaner icons and just leave one?  What else can I safely close to speed things up? Thank you for your help. 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Burbank Rob said:

Sometimes I notice that my computer is slowing down, and I can also hear the hard drive spinning for a few seconds. So I open the Task Manager to see what's holding things up, and there are about a hundred items listed. Right now I can see CCleaner listed seventeen times. Will it help to close all the CCleaner icons and just leave one?  What else can I safely close to speed things up? Thank you for your help. 

Are you talking about CCleaner itself or the CCleaner browser?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

1 hour ago, hazelnut said:

Are you talking about CCleaner itself or the CCleaner browser?

Good question. I wasn't running the cleaner or the browser, unless the latter was running in the background. (Just now I heard my hard drive spinning a couple of times, for maybe five to ten seconds each time. All I was doing was typing.)

Edited by Burbank Rob

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Burbank Rob said:

Good question. I wasn't running the cleaner or the browser, unless the latter was running in the background. (Just now I heard my hard drive spinning a couple of times, for maybe five to ten seconds each time. All I was doing was typing.)

Try looking in the browser settings for one that says something like ''continue running background apps when the browser is closed'' If ticked, untick it, close and then reopen the browser.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Okay, I just followed your instructions. I open Windows Security and saw a warning about a "potentially unwanted app found." Apparently Windows security found it some ten days ago. Something called "PUA:Win32/Creprote" that affected "Portrait Professional Trial Setup." I vaguely remember downloading some kind of photo editing program some time ago. I removed it and all seems well so far.