CCleaner and webcachev01.dat

I have noticed that when I launch the CCleaner interface webcachev01.dat gets put back into the

c:\users\userid\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\webcache

directory.  You can add webcachev01.dat as a file to be specially removed (options, include, file), and it will get removed again. 

What made me look for this was that error in the windows 10 system log that says:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {0358B920-0AC7-461F-98F4-58E32CD89148}. The error:
"2147942767"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}

I know I can remove the 3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683 GUID from the registry, but should I do that?  I have disabled WININET (CACHETASK) in scheduled tasks, and Unticked "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" using DCOMCNFG.  Every time I open the CCleaner interface it puts webcachev01.dat back, then using my inclusion deletes it, then that DCOM server error appears in the system log.  This is weird.

CCleaner version 5.66.7716  64 bit             Windows 10  1909  18363.836

Edited by muerte33

Just an update on this issue.

Windows Feature update 2004 installed, and it still gives this error.    Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264)  Windows 10 Pro.  I only use the Firefox 76.0.1 64bit browser.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I get the same error (in EventsLog) whenever I use CCleaner (without having added the webcachev01.dat  file to be cleaned).

Tried every hint you can find in the Internet (adding "administrators" authorizations in the registry to {0358B920-0AC7-461F-98F4-58E32CD89148}, as well as to {3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}, authorizations in DCOMcnfg for RuntimeBroker, tec.

Must be a bug.

• Moderators

@RogerOverwhich CCleaner version are you using?
(And which Windows version/which AV?)

This thread is seven months old and the original poster was using CC v5.66 which is an old version.

The latest CCleaner is v5.76, a whole ten version later than this thread.

There was an event log error being generated, but that has supposedly been fixed with newer CC versions.

PS. WebCacheV01.dat stores information about which websites have been visited with IE/Edge (and some other stuff like windows searches).
It can sometimes be left in a 'dirty shudown' state, which can cause issues.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you nukecad and sorry for posting in the wrong forum !

But it is exactly the same message I am getting on every run of CCleaner (version 5.76.8269) and without having added WebcacheV01 to the inclusion list !

Winver is: Win 10, 20H2 19042.746

I add the EventLog after the last run of CCleaner at 9.55 CET this morning.

Kind regards and thanks for any possible solution

Capture.PNG

• Moderators

I assume that your CCleaner running OK?

A bit of searching found this post in the Microsoft community asking about the same error, the same error code and process ID:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/event-10000-distributed-com/5644a2da-4166-4244-a288-6f7bc54dc9cf

The answer is that it's a Windows error (so not a CCleaner bug, although running CCleaner seems to trigger it for you) - The advice from the Windows Tech expert is:

You can ignore this. It is rather benign, a function of the Internet Explorer browser cache

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi nukecad,

thank you for your help. It effectively has to do with Internet Explorer.

I removed all checkmarks in CCleaner under Internet Explorer, ... and the EventLog error message didn't show up anymore.

Then I set the checkmarks back one by one.

It is the "History" checkmark which triggers the EventLog error message !

As I don't use Internet Explorer, I left "History" unchecked !

Thanks a lot !

Roger

• Moderators

Thanks for testing that and fidning that it was the 'History' checkmark for IE causing it.

I'll try to remember that in case someone else reports they are seeing a similar error.

I doubt that there are many people still using IE as a browser, but Windows and other apps do use it's temporary storage locations as a convinient dumping ground.
(CCleaner itself uses IE's 'Temporary Internet Files' each time you launch CCleaner).
I keep 'Temporary Internet Files' and 'Cookies' ticked for IE in Custom Clean, just to catch these temporary files from other apps.

I'm not sure about Health Check, if you run that it may still clean IE's history and so trigger the event error for you?

• 2 months later...

Thanks RogerOver!

Unticking "History" under the Internet Explorer CCleaner settings does eliminate that error message.

I still have to use I.E. for an antiquated camera system unfortunately, but at least I know where that particular error message is coming from!

THANKS!