Versions after 5.65.7632 broken

CCleaner Portable 5.66.7716
Still trying, but still versions after 5.65.7632 do not save settings.
Try this in Options - Settings, check "Custom Clean", close CCleaner, open CCleaner, now "Custom Clean" is not checked.

• Moderators

I dont think that Portable will/can save that particular setting.

Settings such as that one are saved to the registry on a certain machine, so they need to be installed. Portable doesn't install anything.

Portable is meant to be used from a memory stick by technicialns working on many different machines, so saving the setting on one machine wont work on the next one anyway.

Each time you use Portable it will start with the default settings.

If you are using CCleaner on your own computer then you need to install it to be able to save settings.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Sorry to disagree nukecad but portable just saves it's settings in ini format in the ccleaner folder (which is usually outside of the c:\program files folder). Mine holds this option fine.  Do other options and custom clean check marks stay or do they default too?

EDIT: Follow these steps to work around the issue in CCleaner portable (and other use cases that involve ccleaner.ini)

1) exit CCleaner portable

2) open in notepad or simple txt editor the ccleaner.ini file in your CCleaner folder

3) use find (Ctrl+F) to search for the word "home" no quotes

4) when you reach a setting that looks like

HomeScreen=3

change it to

HomeScreen=2

5)  save and close ccleaner.ini accepting the overwrite prompt.  if you get no overwrite prompt you've done something wrong like saving it as ccleaner.ini.txt.

6) restart Ccleaner portable.  It should now open to custom clean

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm happy to learn if I am wrong, I don't use the CC portable myself.

But my impession was that the whole idea of the portable meant it did not install anything, and didn't create even a CCleaner folder on a machine to put a .ini file in, unless you did that yourself.

The whole idea of a portable app is that it shouldn't leave anything behind after use.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Yes it leaves no traces on computer (c:\program files, registry) it stays to its own folder (eg m:\ccleaner)

That said, leaving no trace is more stealth a specific type of portable and last I checked ccleaner portable is indeed stealth as long as skipuac or scheduling is not used.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Portable software can save anything it wants such as settings (cache for portable web browsers) in their own unique folder to re-use - it's however a big no-no if they save outside of their own folder which in that case calling them portable wouldn't really be correct and in that case they should be labelled as "no-installer" instead of "portable." But to be clear CCleaner Portable is actually portable.

Some further checking:

A missing altogether "Configuration settings" file in 566 was one problem, a simple copy and paste of my 565 file into the 566 folder allows previous saved 565 "Options" choices, but further changes in 566 are not saved by 566 into the "Configuration settings" file.

3 hours ago, bearsound said:

Some further checking:

A missing altogether "Configuration settings" file in 566 was one problem, a simple copy and paste of my 565 file into the 566 folder allows previous saved 565 "Options" choices, but further changes in 566 are not saved by 566 into the "Configuration settings" file.

can you check whether ccleaner.ini is in read-only mode or not?

did you try this?

10 hours ago, Nergal said:

EDIT: Follow these steps to work around the issue in CCleaner portable (and other use cases that involve ccleaner.ini)

1) exit CCleaner portable

2) open in notepad or simple txt editor the ccleaner.ini file in your CCleaner folder

3) use find (Ctrl+F) to search for the word "home" no quotes

4) when you reach a setting that looks like

HomeScreen=3

change it to

HomeScreen=2

5)  save and close ccleaner.ini accepting the overwrite prompt.  if you get no overwrite prompt you've done something wrong like saving it as ccleaner.ini.txt.

6) restart Ccleaner portable.  It should now open to custom clean

After rebooting this morning:

The 565 Configuration settings file I have borrowed for 566 already has HomeScreen=2

Settings changes in 566 are properly saved in 565 "Configuration settings" file.

So, 566 just needs to include the missing "Configuration settings" file in the ccsetup566 portable zip to be complete and properly save settings.