CCleaner v5.66.7716 very slow to launch [blocking CCleaner will slow it down]

@nukecad: The last part ("Fact is...") of my previous post is meant for Dave/CCleaner/Piriform/Avast, hence the vertical spacing. I thought that would be obvious even without an @. And the affected users of the delay didn't do anything themselves. They just happen to have the same configuration since before v5.66 when everything was working perfectly. And what about the users who don't even have internet access or turn it off when not needed? Are they supposed to just live with the delay or aren't even allowed to use CCleaner?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HGVord said:

And the affected users of the delay didn't do anything themselves.

Yes they did;

The one constant in this thread is that those reporting a delay in CCleaner have altered their firewall settings to block CCleaner.

Nobody who has not altered their firewall settings is reporting seeing any delay.
(If they were, which has happened in the past and I was the first to shout about it, then that would be a different matter).

That it didn't affect you before 5.66 doesn't alter the fact that it's your actions in blocking CCleaner in your firewall that has stopped CCleaner from working properly for you.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad, I think @HGVord provided a valid use case where this affects any user, regardless if they altered their firewall settings and it applies to any scenario when CCleaner cannot connect to any of those servers for various reasons - you're on the move and have no hotspot/internet connectivity, your ISP has some kind of outage and limited connectivity to the world, servers are inaccessible due to outage/maintenance/whatever... Any of these would affect all users.

Let's not waste time debating if this is a bug or an oversight in a feature that was added several versions ago. What matters is if Avast will improve it for the sake of end users.

I hope you're not suggesting we should all simply disable/uninstall firewalls just because apps are designed to connect to the internet and we should blindly trust developers because they know what's best for us. Developers are only humans and make all kind of mistakes which slip through QA and sometimes could be extremely dangerous.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Firewalls should be configured with block all for both incoming and outgoing connections. It could be overwhelming even for advanced users to selectively allow inbound and outbound connections which is why Windows blocks only incoming connections by default and is pretty wide open for outgoing ones. Many incoming connections would be automatically blocked by the router anyway because there's no port forwarding whereas personal data is leaking from the outbound connections.

@Crni: I think it's useless to debate here and we're just wasting our time. It looks like nobody cares anyway. And we're even accused of using pirated serials or being from North Korea or being dumb, just because we use firewalls. The younger generations hardly know what a firewall is and does, let alone why people use it. Anyway, for the weekly maintenance of all my computers I use [competition software] I just keep (kept) CCleaner because it cleans automatically with 7/35 passes every time I close the browser (Waterfox with add-on Click&Clean). But after my experience here in the forum, I think I will gladly do 2-3 extra clicks to launch [competition] instead of using CCleaner. Greetings from Switzerland.

Edited by Nergal
removed competition software name

• Moderators

Here comes the black sheep of the forum moderators, and I'll share my opinion even though it might not make some all that happy.

This goes deeper than just blocking outbound connections! Something had to lead up to so many of us blocking the phone-home aspect of CCleaner which has been known for years when a rare post here or there about someone monitoring their network connections and CCleaner using an outbound connection - which in all fairness was only officially disclosed on this forum after Avast acquired Piriform. It's however likely taken more serious now by end-users since Avast is the owner, and Avast has a past untrustworthy behavior that's archived on the Internet.

The delay is why I'm using the free portable version 5.63. I have no intentions to remove the Windows HOST file blocks (with tons of URLs), Windows Firewall blocks (of the main EXE's), and hardware Firewall blocks (good luck coding it to get past the hardware firewall) - all that to use a cleaning utility. I also have no intentions whatsoever to ever upgrade past that free portable version 5.63 anymore. I'm using v5.40 on my old desktop PC using an old dangerous outdated version of Windows that everyone moans is vulnerable (haven't been infected... ...yet) that old OS could careless what old version of CCleaner I run and I won't ever update that anymore either. When Windows 10 blacklists that version 5.63 and won't allow it to be used anymore (and it will at some point) I'll just remove CCleaner altogether from the Win10 system and be done with it on Win10. This course of action is mainly because I don't like any of the extra features they've added into it since Avast acquired Piriform in 2017, and I wouldn't doubt more "goodies" will be added into CCleaner.

While I'm a moderator on here I don't blindly trust the software due to who has owned it since 2017 which is Avast, and reports of their Avast Antivirus being called adware/spyware in the past but more recently there was this discovered just eight months ago in December 2019 to me equals a continued behavior that I can't blindly trust for obvious reasons, and since I don't know the code in CCleaner I'm not going to.

From what people have posted in the past on this very forum such as CCleaner just auto-magically updating to the newest version (even really old freeware versions that don't have the Emergency Updater included) without any user consent or involvement, and with countless forum reports of Avast Free Antivirus all of a sudden getting installed alongside CCleaner without explicit user consent is one reason I'm blocking a huge list of URLs in the HOSTS file that I've figured out that it uses, that way in my mind I can safely use CCleaner without what I'd deem a drawback. This is mainly because in the past Avast Free Antivirus on multiple occasions over several years when installed has made my old desktop PC completely unbootable into Windows, so logically I'm going to block Avast URLs and want nothing to do with it (not even on my newer Win10 laptop). It's also why I'm blocking any Piriform software having any outbound connection in the firewall.

Although I must say CCleaner really should just gracefully and quickly ignore the ability to phone home if it can't, it could be coded to give up faster instead of there being 10 seconds or more delay.

@Andavari: Thanks for the interesting facts. There's a very old saying: "Never change a winning team" or in computer terms "Never change a running system". I will NEVER understand why a perfect software/app/tool must be "improved" and new "features" must be added all the time, with the result that the formerly perfect product becomes partly or completely unusable (like Firefox/Mozilla when they launched Quantum). CCleaner was perfect and there was no need to change anything. Updates should only include hidden entries of new software in the registry or some minor bug fixes or speed/memory issues, but NOTHING else. Why do they always have to eff everything up?

Fun fact: In 35 years of PC experience I NEVER had a virus/trojan. If something crashed my system it was always either the OS itself or the AV or some other security/performance tool. But since Win7 not even once. Maybe a too personal question but I'm curious: If you're really that concerned about privacy, why Win10? Never in my life I will install Win10 on any of my computers or laptops, literally over my dead body. When ESU for Win7 ends in 2023 I will have to install Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (or whatever version they will have then) on 1 PC with internet access and all other PC's and laptops will stay offline with Win7. And I guess the offline PC's and laptops will still have CCleaner v5.65, he he...

• Moderators
5 hours ago, HGVord said:

If you're really that concerned about privacy, why Win10? Never in my life I will install Win10 on any of my computers or laptops

I had that attitude about it when I'd only have to use it in very small spurts. The time came when my old system (2003) which has to use old web browsers wasn't allowed on some websites. Some sites would take forever to load due to the overall slowness of the old Pentium 4 CPU, so even old slow hardware can hold you back just browsing a website.

Win10 won't ever really be fully understood looking at it from an outside perspective. You can remove allot such as removing all of those flashy animated Start Menu titles and replace all of it with shortcuts to actual programs you use to actually make it useful. You can still lock it down privacy-wise to a degree via HOSTS file blocks or using 3rd party freeware software from O&O Software and Spybot-S&D, and by disabling some of its privacy concerns in the Privacy settings.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, BobK said:

Mine run quickly to 58% then hangs forever (at least 15+ min)

different issue, please post a new topic and include information such as ccleaner version, windows version and what antivirus you are using.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, BobK said:

Mine run quickly to 58% then hangs forever (at least 15+ min)

That is a different issue then.

Please start a new thread, and it would help if you can say what is being cleaned when it hangs.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 15:11, Dave CCleaner said:

There would appear to be some misconceptions in this thread.  For example:

There has been some form of telemetry collected since December 2010, starting with licence activation counts. Despite persistent urban myths to the contrary, this has actually been actually wound back significantly after Avast showed up on the scene.

As @nukecad pointed out, that didn't make any difference, by the way.

The in-product telemetry data can be "blocked" more gracefully, and without breaking anything, by simply opting out through Options > Privacy in CCleaner 5.46 or higher. Since the telemetry only collects an aggregated tally count of how many users use what features, the best real world analogy would be voting.  No-one knows who you vote for in an election or referendum - and if you choose not to vote then you have chosen to have your opinion ignored in favour of those who do.

CCleaner does not collect any personal information on our users, except for some minimal information required to maintain licence subscriptions for our paying customers.  And we have never sold any customer data. (All other factors aside, this would only be of interest to our competitors, and we are generally disinclined to give them this sort of assistance.)

We have no use for your personal data, and under the various privacy laws that we are subject to, if we did collect and store it (y'know, just in case it might be useful later for something) then we are legally obliged to spend a lot of time and money to maintain it and look after it forever.  With a user base larger than the population of most countries, that would be exceedingly tedious and burdensome - so we don't collect it at all. It would also look rather odd for a performance and privacy tool to do so.

For more information on all of this, you can refer to the CCleaner data fact sheet: https://www.ccleaner.com/about/data-factsheet

Under law you can, of course, request a copy of all of the data that CCleaner holds on you if you'd like to check it.  To save you some time though:

Exactly this.  If you are blocking the web service components that CCleaner needs to operate (in the mistaken belief that you need to do so to block the telemetry that you have already switched off) then, yeah, you are going to have problems.  The primary use-cases for a firewall or hosts file block of CCleaner are:

1. A user with a pirated serial key who doesn't want a NACK signal back from the licence server.
  2. A user in North Korea trying to circumvent the trade sanctions geo-blocking.

... neither scenario we are particularly motivated to assist.

TL;DR: don't be this guy

5H4W.gif

Thanks for detailed answer