CCleaner Community Forums
Spartan

CCleaner v5.66.7716 very slow to launch [blocking CCleaner will slow it down]

Posted (edited)

Hi there, long time CCleaner here. I started blocking CCleaner via the Windows Firewall to stop any telemetry and whatnot or offers to upgrade to the Pro version. Only with this last update blocking CCleaner's internet access seems to slow down its startup big time. It takes about 7-10 seconds for it to start. I have a very fast laptop (Area-51m with an NVMe SSD) so it's not my laptop that's the issue.

Can something be done about this? Many members on the Wilders Security Forums also share my same experience.

PS: I'm using the portable edition

Edited by Spartan

Confirmed. I reported it a few minutes before you did in another topic.

Edit:
It's like it can't just gracefully abort/cancel/ignore the integrated web-based "stuff" in Health Check, etc., so that it doesn't hinder startup. It's the reason I downgraded yet again for another reason.

11 hours ago, Andavari said:

Confirmed. I reported it a few minutes before you did in another topic.

Edit:
It's like it can't just gracefully abort/cancel/ignore the integrated web-based "stuff" in Health Check, etc., so that it doesn't hinder startup. It's the reason I downgraded yet again for another reason.

Right, luckily I had CCleaner v5.65.7632 Portable in a backup so I'll just use that for now.

@Andvari

Adding these 2 entries to your HOSTS file will fix the slow startup issue:

0.0.0.0 ncc.avast.com
0.0.0.0 ncc.avast.com.edgesuite.net

Thank you. However the slow startup isn't the only issue though, I was only curious about the new version for about 20 seconds.

If only that was the only thing to block, I've got a list a mile long of URLs I block which to me more-or-less proves Avast up to something. A single product like CCleaner doesn't need all those phone home links to function or report data back - in my opinion.

Posted (edited)

I'm having the same problem: very slow startup in the latest version, portable. it takes approximately 15-20 seconds.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 16 G, Intel.

ps .: if possible someone can tell me where i can download the previous version, portable.

Edited by wagner reatto

Somethimes I can't turn on the ccleaner. I doubt that the PC cillin blocks it. Somethimes i turned on the PC cillin, then Ccleaner could launch. Most of the time is it. I doubt that the bug is coming from the recent version program.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wagner reatto said:

I'm having the same problem: very slow startup in the latest version, portable. it takes approximately 15-20 seconds.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 16 G, Intel.

ps .: if possible someone can tell me where i can download the previous version, portable.

Luckily I still have a copy of [link removed]

Don't forget to unblock the ZIP file before extracting it! "Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

Edited by Nergal
link removed

It breaks the license to distribute that file personally.  I have removed the link to the zip.

16 hours ago, wagner reatto said:

where can I get the previous version?

The previous zip Portable version 5.65 is still on CCleaner.com, just not listed, here:

https://download.ccleaner.com/portable/ccsetup565.zip

4 hours ago, Andavari said:

The previous zip Portable version 5.65 is still on CCleaner.com, just not listed, here:

https://download.ccleaner.com/portable/ccsetup565.zip

thank you!!! ✌️