Can I get CCleaner for Windows 10?

I used to have CCleaner and it was one of my "must-have" Apps - I ran it every day.

However, an MVP expert in the Microsoft Community forum strongly advised me to replace it, citing major problems following its takeover in July 2017 by Avast. He said that a few months later (September 2017?) CCleaner was compromised by hackers.

Because I miss it so much I tried to download a pre-July 1977 version just now but couldn't. So I then tried to download the latest version but got an error message that what I was trying to install will not work on Windows 10.

Is there a Window 10 version of CCleaner available? If so, how do I get it please?

• Admin

There was a major problem specific to version 5.33 ... but that was 33 releases ago.  Versions prior to 5.46 should not be used on any recent build of Windows 10, and Windows 10 will actively block you from using anything prior to version 5.36. 

Given that one of the reasons that CCleaner releases new versions so often is to keep up to date with configuration changes in the various software that it cleans, we always recommend staying up to date with the latest version (currently 5.66), and certainly no more than a few releases behind the latest (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history)

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Hello both. Sorry for the delay but I was locked out "for security reasons" viz four failed attempts to log in. But it was only last Sunday at 10:34am that I received an email acknowledgement that I had successfully changed it to the one I'd kept inputting! I 'changed' it to the same one that I'd used before. Anyway, enough of that sideshow.

I tried to download the free version from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download - I wish I could buy the professional version but money's tight at the moment because of Covid19.

I always check for new versions of my programs (sorry I'm old - I should have said Apps!) at least once a week, but usually more frequently.

So if I install v.5.66 later today I'll have my favourite CCleaner back. Wonderful. 

PS Is there a 'Mark as Answer' button here, please?

I have Windows10, v1909 build 18363.815

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Taffy078 said:

I wish I could buy the professional version but money's tight at the moment because of Covid19

... which is why we have always had (and always will have) a free version of CCleaner available 🙂

BTW, there is no "mark as answered", as such, on here.  But for some hot topics there will be a promoted answer and a "solved" tag added to help people coming to the site at later date to more easily find answers.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Many thanks, both. V5.66 installed and working! I'll feed it back to the Microsoft Community MVP tomorrow so that no-one else stops using CCleaner.  And to top it off, the weather here in West Yorkshire is very sunny!

Stay in / Be Safe / Take Care.

An update: When I first asked in the Microsoft Community about a Shredding App,  a so-called "Independent Advisor" *** in the Microsoft Community advised me against using CCleaner - he said it would 'corrupt' my system! So I've put him on the spot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/what-apps-are-best-to-shred-items-when-you-empty/77b755e9-2d06-45a5-b6d1-6c697ba13b84?tm=1588767004147

*** In case you're not aware of these "Independent Advisors", they get paid by Microsoft. The decision by MS to pay was lambasted by the vast majority of the regular experts, one of whom regularly posts examples of their poor/wrong advice. I'll pass this example to him later.

I'll also update the Microsoft MVP who first advised us not to use CCleaner. He's OK so will take this on board. Many thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.