nesest download does not work in user mode

nontrad

I downloaded and installed the newest version (running Windows 10). When I started CCleaner at the end of the day, it would start to open to the main desktop and then almost close after no more than 2 seconds.  This was when I was running in user (non-administrator) privileges. I tried it several times to prove that it wasn't an operator error.

When I right clicked and ran the program in administrator mode, the program seemed to work as usual.  I used this to delete all the files.

But then I tried user mode again, it stayed up and I clicked "analyze". It should have shown very few files to be deleted. I had a Chrome browser open (writing this note) . But when I ran an analysis, it showed that there were files to be deleted - about what it showed before I ran the program in administrator mode. So I am not sure it did any cleaning at all.

Then without making any changes, I tried again to open up CCleaner and got the same shutdown. And when running again in Administrator mode, it did not show any of the files.

I suffer the same problems. In Reliability Monitor I find the following report:

Description:

Faulting Application Path:      G:\Neue Programme\Windows Utilities\ccsetup portable\CCleaner64.exe

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX64

Application Name:      CCleaner64.exe

Application Version:   5.66.0.7705

Application Timestamp:          5ea6ca85

Fault Module Name:   CCleaner64.exe

Fault Module Version:            5.66.0.7705

Fault Module Timestamp:       5ea6ca85

Exception Offset:       0000000000b346d5

Exception Code:         c0000409

Exception Data:          0000000000000007

OS Version:     10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:       1033

Additional Information 1:       42eb

Additional Information 2:       42ebd951ed8e6a2b5f2224c4caf19bf4

Additional Information 3:       c424

Additional Information 4:       c4245bc1b862299e9c0c85127c566990

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID:      7001c7b272a8d75b3842d134c26b84ca (1748189629903504586)

My system is: Windows 10 Pro with all recent updates, Kaspersky Total Security 2020.

• Moderators

@nontrad

I think that you have two seperate issues here.

Firstly
If Chrome was open then CCleaner would Skip the cleaning of it, which may be causing part of what you are seeing. (Especially if you have the 'Skip' warning turned off).
CCleaner cannot clean anything that is open/running.

Second
It seems that you are normally using a user (non-admin) account, if so then which account is CCleaner installed on, user or Admin? and is it the Free or Pro version of CCleaner

The Free version can only clean the account it is installed on.
Pro can clean all user accounts from an Admin account, if it has been set to do so.

I don't think that Pro can clean all accounts from a non-admin account though, unless possibly if run as Administrator from a right click?
Again that seems to fit in with what you are reporting.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I am aware that it will not clean Chrome files if Chrome is open. I wanted to point out that this was the only time the program did not crash in user mode - although i could not replicate that. 

I normally work on the computer with my account that has user privileges only - and CCleaner is crashiing when run normally. If I right clicked to run it with administrator privileges on that account (not in my admin account), it did not crash.

My comment is that CCleaner is NOT WORKING when it is an account with non-admin status and not running in Adminstrator mode.
(BTW, I have a BSCS and cyber background and sorry fr the typo in the title at midnight)

Edited by nontrad

• Moderators

Sorry, you previously said that it was working if you run as administrator?

When I right clicked and ran the program in administrator mode, the program seemed to work as usual.  I used this to delete all the files.

As for files being found again after you have just run CCleaner,

But when I ran an analysis, it showed that there were files to be deleted - about what it showed before I ran the program in administrator mode. So I am not sure it did any cleaning at all.

that is normal and is just the way that Windows works.
See the second part of this: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I'm more interested in the opening/closing immediately behaviour you report if it is run as a non-admin.

Again are you using the Free or the Pro version of CCleaner?

And, (of particular interest at the moment), what anti-virus are you using?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I can confirm bug described by nontrade and JMallorca

When opening Ccleaner it closes by itself within 2 seconds. No action to run or select a task possible.

Previous version ccsetup5.65.7632_slim works without any problems.

No changes in Win10 user account made between installation of Cleaner 5.65 and 5.66.

Effected version: ccsetup5.66.7705_slim.exe (free)

System: Win10 1903 built 18362.778 (latest updates)

Anti-Virus: NortonLifeLock

Anti-Virus did neither identify Ccleaner 5.66 as virus nor did it block it.

Edited by ROC_172

• Moderators

Thanks for that confirmation @ROC_172

What happens if you right click it and 'Run as Administrator'?

I'll flag it up for the staff/developers to take a look at.

• Moderators

@nontrad; @JMallorca; @ROC_172

There has just been a minor update issued to take CCleaner to v5.66.7716

Apparently there was a bug in the Pro Trial that was causing this open/dissapper issue for some users, and users report that this update has fixed it.

Please let us know if the update works for you.

I never used the Pro Trial version before, but found out that also the Slim version had been updated (new Hash).

After installation of ccsetup5.66.7716_slim.exe (free), so far everything looks OK. Will keep you posted in case new problems will arise.

What I don't understand is, what has the Pro Trial version to do with the Slim version?!

Edited by ROC_172

• Moderators

The trial option is built into CCleaner whether you choose to use it or not.

The 'Standard' and 'Slim' installers are just different installers, they both install exactly the same CCleaner.

Why are there 2 different installers? (3 if you count Portable, which isn't an installer just the bare programme).

The Slim/Portable were originally intended for technicians and advanced users, who may be doing a lot of installations or wanted a CCleaner they could carry round on a USB stick.

Nowadays the graphics used by the user offers in the Standard installer will not work with Win7 or older, and so the Slim is the option if you want to install CCleaner on Win 7.

It also gives another option if someone is having problems installing.

• Moderators

Well I'm not a developer so the thanks are due to them for fixing it quickly, but it's good to know that the fix worked.