Adblock question

Monkey Proof

• Moderators

The host file is not only for blocking adds and the topic hazlenut was talking about is here(but by using it, it will block ads is ALL browsers)

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...mp;hl=host+file

Were you using filter set g updater when you had adblock? This will block just about any adds you would encounter.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

Well it does more than just block ads but thats the most noticeable thing to users. Its just another quick and easy way to add just another security layer that dosen't take any system recources.

oh?..doesnt take any extra resources?...hmm, now i might be interested...but just a little.

i think i'll do more research on host files.

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

Well it does more than just block ads but thats the most noticeable thing to users. Its just another quick and easy way to add another security layer that dosen't take any system recources.

considering that you don't have the DNS cashing service turned on :P

I would only put into the HOSTS file entries that you absolutely MUST block or redirect. I would not disable or set the DNS Client service to manual either.

DNS Client - Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Leave it set to automatic.

DNS Client - Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

That's correct. But isn't the purpose of setting a service to manual so that the service starts itself only when needed? Why is it necessary to set it on Automatic, other than having another service set to automatic that depends on that service? (lol, did you all follow that? :P )

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

It caches DNS names for that computer. If disabled, it simply means the system will go upstream to resolve DNS names rather than use the cache.

Now, what that means is that it will always have to contact the ISP to get the IP address. So your computer will load pages slower.

So, why again is a huge HOSTS file with the DNS Client services changed any good? It's not. :)

It caches DNS names for that computer. If disabled, it simply means the system will go upstream to resolve DNS names rather than use the cache.

So, why again is a huge HOSTS file with the DNS Client services changed any good? It's not. :)

But it says to set it to manual, not disable it. I understand what the problem is regarding disabling the service, but with HOSTS it's suggested that you set the service to Manual, not disabled.

What am I missing? :huh: There shouldn't be a problem if it's set to Manual, right?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Why risk slowing down your browsing?

Okay, well that is definitely a valid point. ;) It will slow it down, although I don't know by how much. With my connection I don't notice it, but I'm sure that slower connections probably will.

• Moderators

I've been using the MSMVP host file since april and I have not noticed any slow down in my browsing since using it. Also none of the people that said they started using it after my post have told me that they noticed any slow down either.

If you have been using the host file and noticed slowdown I would love to hear about it. So I know examples of possible down sides.

Their is a huge benefit by using the host file as well.

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Just wondering, but when did you become a well informed expert on HOSTS files? MVPS.org is only trying to get you into using their HOSTS file. Since when is that information accurate?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318803

Note The overall performance of the client computer decreases and the network traffic for DNS queries increases if the DNS resolver cache is deactivated.

The DNS Client service optimizes the performance of DNS name resolution by storing previously resolved names in memory. If the DNS Client service is turned off, the computer can still resolve DNS names by using the network's DNS servers.

When the Windows resolver receives a positive or negative response to a query, it adds that positive or negative response to its cache, and as a result, creates a DNS resource record. The resolver always checks the cache before querying any DNS server. If a DNS resource record is in the cache, the resolver uses the record from the cache instead of querying a server. This behavior expedites queries and decreases network traffic for DNS queries.

You can use the Ipconfig tool to view and to flush the DNS resolver cache. To view the DNS resolver cache, type ipconfig /displaydns at a command prompt. Ipconfig displays the contents of the DNS resolver cache, including the DNS resource records that are preloaded from the Hosts file and any recently queried names that were resolved by the system. After a certain time period, the resolver discards the record from the cache. The time period is specified in the Time to Live (TTL) associated with the DNS resource record. You can also flush the cache manually. After you flush the cache, the computer must query DNS servers again for any DNS resource records previously resolved by the computer. To delete the entries in the DNS resolver cache, type ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt.

Again, leave the service alone and don't mess with a HOSTS file unless you absolutely have to block a few things.

Just wondering, but when did you become a well informed expert on HOSTS files? MVPS.org is only trying to get you into using their HOSTS file. Since when is that information accurate?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318803

Again, leave the service alone and don't mess with a HOSTS file unless you absolutely have to block a few things.

Ah! Thanks for the link. Now I see what you were getting at. That's a very good point. You're right about that. :)

Although! My question is about the manual setting. The service should turn itself on when needed if set to manual right?

i think for my purposes having FireFox and Adblock Plus with the Filter G is good enough. if i need to visit a questionable website i'll visit McAfee's SiteAdvisor first and type in the URL just to check it out.

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

• Moderators

I actually did quite a bit of research on the topic before I started that topic back in april.

Every major trustworthy site I went to endorsed the idea of using the host to block malicious sites/ads/hijackers ect.

Some good links(the bleeping computer one is the most informative)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-045.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile.html

http://www.dead-eye.net/Windows%20XP%20Pro...tm#DNS%20Client (black viper services list.)

Its not like this all isnt easily reversible anyway. I have been using it for a few months now and dont even notice it(except when I go to IE and all the ads are gone :P). Use it or not thats ultimately the users choice but the general consensus from a security stand point is that its another easy layer of protection.

i think for my purposes having FireFox and Adblock Plus with the Filter G is good enough. if i need to visit a questionable website i'll visit McAfee's SiteAdvisor first and type in the URL just to check it out.

Site advisor is another great security program that dosen't tax your pcs rescources. The only thing I wish it did was not let the browser load red sites without you clicking a confirm button or something, nothing like knowing when its too late. :P Its all good though as long as you google the sites before you go to them and see its recomendation before going to the site.

i never downloaded Site Advisor it self..i just visit their home page when needed and enter whatever URL into the search block thingy.

also i heard that if you actualy have it installed it phones home to McAfee with every web site that you visit. to me thats just too much into my business.

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif