Lost data in unallocated space.

calum

Hi,

I recently created a new primary partition on an external hard drive, but didn't realise that in doing so would render the data stored in the old primary partition inaccessible due to being in "unallocated space". I've tried numerous recovery programs but had no luck in recovering the data so far - with many results coming back saying that my file system isn't readable. I've seen mixed reports online about doing a quick format on the disk to make the file system readable  but among these are warnings of losing the data on the disk in doing so. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Moderators

You may be able to restore the lost partition without doing any formatting whatsoever but you'll have to use a 3rd party partitioning tool since what's built into Windows can't accomplish the task to my knowledge.

Perhaps Easus Partition Master or MiniTool Partition Wizard can do it, both offer a freeware version but I don't know if the free mode will be able to do that, you may have to buy a license. Both programs are similar and both are good.