defraggmenting of one file is stuck

peer893

I made more than 10% space on disk, yet defraggmenting is still buggy. File defraggmentation is stuck like on 10% or 46%. I am positive it is not open. As it is tv show, don't know why would it be open. Previously i thought it doesn't work because i didn't have enough space on disk, but now i have no idea. Previously similar file defraggmented in minute and now it is taking 30 minutes, it is 100% stuck.

• Moderators

The old 'rule of thumb' used to say that you should have about 15% free space for a sucessful defrag.
But it depends on the size of the drive and the size of the files.

We had a similar thread last week where the user had mostly very large (4GB minimum) video files and only 19% free space so was having problems defragging.
(And that was on an 8TB drive).

Moving some of those files to another disc freed up enough space to defrag the rest.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

i think the minimum of freespace is still up to date and regardless of the total size of a disk.

800 mb or 800 gb or 8 tb -> if the disk is full over 90 % have the defragmenter many work and perhaps not enough space to move fragmentet pieces of files to another place on the drive in one fragment. the 90 % becomes more holes between the deframentation and it would be difficult to move fragmentet pieces of files to some places in one continously file/s

especially with 4 gb files and larger 😉 the best job is to copy such files to another disk/usb/whatelse - defrag the "normal sized" files on the hdd/sdd and after this copy the large files back to the old location on the disk.

-> the positive effect? - the large files are very likely to be moved automatically as a whole. but not definitifly 😉

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

Many defrag tools aren't of much use at all without at least 20% free space. If you don't have enough free space many will just give up. The only defrag tool that I've ever seen that will defrag very full disks was the now discontinued/unsupported and old JkDefrag (free) which is still available as a PortableApps.com version.

Edit - Note:
If the disk you're having the issue with is a non-OS disk that doesn't have Windows installed onto it I wouldn't bother with trying to defragment that one pesky file because the disk will quickly get fragmented again, and non-OS hard disks don't usually suffer from performance penalties with some fragmented files especially large sized files that only have a few fragments.

If it's for instance an internal, external/portable backup hard drive buying another one with larger capacity (they're not really expensive to get 2tb or more space) to hold your files would be a good solution, and then that drive that doesn't have enough capacity could be repurposed and used for something else. Even if it's an internal drive you could still repurpose it by putting it in an external/portable USB 3.0 hard disk enclosure.

14 hours ago, nukecad said:

The old 'rule of thumb' used to say that you should have about 15% free space for a sucessful defrag.
But it depends on the size of the drive and the size of the files.

We had a similar thread last week where the user had mostly very large (4GB minimum) video files and only 19% free space so was having problems defragging.
(And that was on an 8TB drive).

Moving some of those files to another disc freed up enough space to defrag the rest.

Ah okay, i will try that again, once i reach 15% or 20%. I read 10%. Ty for tips.

Using contig now and it works well. From 6000 fragments to 18 e.g. on 10% free space. I am using defraggler just find fragmented files. I got 66% fragmentation down from 85% and i didn't have time to defragg even small portion yet.